Thread: Don't go by the numbers!!!!

Don't go by the numbers!!!!

I want to say this first this my opinion I have been doing much better with my etrac not focusing on fe co numbers the key is the sound if it repeats and it's 4 incus plus dig it I don't care if it is iron or not!! This is helping me find silver just wanted to this it out there I know it's there I will have to find it before George and angel do.

Thanks steve

Re: Don't go by the numbers!!!!

I always hunt by tone, signal repeatability, etc and seldom look at the display. This combined with the fact that I dig the majority of the signals I run into I think explains some of the good iffy finds I have made over my three years doing this. Try this experiment as an example. Take a quarter & nickel stacked and bury at four inches, go over them. Then bury them flat side by side about 1 inch apart and go over them. Two totally different signals and many people would pass over the latter signal. This happened to my uncle when I was with him, he dug a crappy signal and it ended being a barber quarter and a buffalo nickel, you never know!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by 1147SILVER link=topic=6396.msg74797#msg74797 date=1310437809
    I know it's there I will have to find it before George and angel do.
    It seems Angel and I will have to step up our coin cleansing efforts lol Don't worry Steve, we will leave you the wheats. The only reason to go by the numbers is if you are in an area that is of limited time, or an area that is so littered with non ferrous and ferrous targets, that digging every repeatable target would take years. For me, I dig every repeatable (and some not so repeatable) targets at any cellar hole. I am a bit more picky at standing houses and a lot more picky at parks. But detecting is all about what works for you. Better to find your own methods that work, than to go by someone elses methods, and do just so-so. Keep finding that shiny stuff Steve thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Its not an Etrac, but I'm the same way with my Ace 250. I have gotten where I never look at the screen, just listen and dig. After about 4 inches, if I'm still getting a signal in the hole, I'll go back and look at the depth. Must of the time I can tell more by the sound than I can looking at the screen.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Veteran Member

yep it all depends. i like the repeatable deep signals. but at parks it may be a buried can
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me