Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White's customer service Return & Replace

Re: White's customer service Return & Replace

Thank you Dan and I do appreciate your frankness.

Many models today you would not believe the software code and how much can be related to it. Often we just don't know if it is a glitch in loading the code in its entirety, a chip issue, an intermitted hardware glitch, or not, and to go through the code line by line would take a though sands of man hours, not cost effective. To simulate or reproduce a hardware spike, could be impossible, but rest assured a customer who had one will have another. So... often better and less expensive from a service stand point to take the users word for it replace, and thus resolve. Even if it means we never really put our finger on the issue. The common problems will show in the overall statistical analysis's and thus be corrected. So... if it doesn't work for the user, it doesn't work.

Then their is also a human factor. If it is believed it doesn't work, often no amount of explanation or parts replacement will convince otherwise. Without confidence in the unit, all is lost.

So a big part of your concern is simply our position of taking the users word for it and thus not being left with much of a viable explanation.

Then there is also the issue, manufactures still feel forums like this our for customers to talk to each other. When not ask directly, there is some reluctance to respond to questions ask of others. Sort of like if a person feels they have an issue with a product but they choose to never ship it in for service, they have purposely choose to have an ongoing issue, they obviously don't want to have it resolved. They are free to choose that for themselves if that is what makes them happy.

Howard

PS, I'm new here so think I missed the significant issues you are talking about. Please ask me now. <showard@whiteselectronics.com>

Sincerely
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by showard link=topic=6470.msg81273#msg81273 date=1315005946
    PS, I'm new here so think I missed the significant issues you are talking about. Please ask me now. <showard@whiteselectronics.com>

Sincerely
    Howard
    Yes , your new here but my issue was with the early 6x10 coils and I asked on your company's forum and was snubbed without an explanation , not even a reply or pm . I tried another attemped and was informed by a moderator that someone would get back to me and later they just locked the thread and deleted it all together . My question to Carl or anyone that could answer was this , was there an issue with the early 6x10 coils , did any have a flaw whether in the windings or the epoxy . What i described on a thread there was , myself and more than a few other fellow hobbists all had these coils and while they worked great , they also all seemed to have problems around the same time after about a year and a half to two years of usage . There was a interesting idea floating around that the epoxy whites used in these coils had an expanding and or shrinkage problem and that it eventually pulled at the coil windings which made them erratic or unbalanced . I wasn't looking for a freebie or replacement coil just an honest answer Steve , I liked the coil but didn't want to shell out more money if I felt like the same thing could happen to the new one . Hey while your add it how about the low down on the early D2 coils as well , I've talked to loads of guys who had to replace them too. Honesty goes alot farther than you think with good folks like us .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

wow Steve the silence is deafening

hmmm , this was almost the same kind of treatment i got on the whites forum .

Sorry, had a long weekend in there.

Epoxy issues are difficult, hard to prove out, and we fear can often be a scape goat for other issues.

Search coils are where the rubber hits the road, always has been and always will be the #1. service issue. When you buy a good car and drive, drive, drive, if everything goes right... tires will be the first service issue you will encounter, be it wear, damage, or defect. Same with search coils.

White's continuously studies and makes changes to our search coils (both design and build techniques) however, at no point in recent years has search coil issue been statistically significant.

Differing opinions, technical or otherwise, can be difficult to sort out when the answer is not something that can be stated by anyone with a real degree of certainty.

It is deceiving, the forums that is. Consider very few metal detector users participate on any of the metal detecting forums. I know that is difficult to grasp for those who do. However, looking at sales/detector users vs. forum participation, few metal detector owners / users (less than 1%) talk publicly about metal detectors or anything. So if everyone who every participated on any metal detector forum ever, all had the same issue, yes it would be a public relations concern and would get engineering attention, but statistically from a service / failure perspective, it would be an insignificant representation of the actual metal detector users we know. Not much of a consolation if it is you who have the issue...I know.

White's 6 X 9 is not an epoxy filled search coil design thus epoxy can not be an issue with this search coil.

White's 6 X 9 is an old school hard foam frame construction search coil. Again, although statistically insignificant, White's does study all failures for improvement. Most of the issues with the 6 X 9 are related to hard foam deterioration/wear, or changing electrical physics over time (holding original tune). We have recently made some changes in curing / tuning processes hoping to improve search coils holding tunes over time. However, without a time machine, difficult to prove.

White's likes facts, traditionally likes to know for sure prior to any debate. Some things simply can not be known for sure.

Howard

Steve your a standup guy , I very much appreciate you returning to the forum and being forthright with me and our members about this subject . please disregard my last comments up above as it can be very frustrating to frequently have questions go unanswered , I apologize to you sir . I agree with you that forums can be a great way to communicate , bounce ideas and get a real feel for a significant number of consumers who probably use their machines more regularly and know them better than most. we here at American Detectorist do not promote detector bashing of any kind but do encourage honest , open and respected discussions on the good , bad and even the ugly when it comes to all detectors nor do we endorse any one brand over another here . the information that comes from these discussions can be very valuable to our forum newbies , experienced detectorists and detector manufacturers as well. thanks you for your time and insight and hope you drop in from time to time and share the workings with us and can answer some questions when they come up.

Dan

Yes, thank you Steve for your presence here on the forum. It is greatly appreciated.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Hey all:Just rec'd my replacement V3i from sweet home.Customer service was exceptional.The unit failed a year into the warranty and Sweet Home took a shot at repair,and 2nd time out it failed again.The new unit arrived today two days after my report.IMO You just cant find that kind of service these days even from your local dry cleaner,let alone a company 3000 miles away.Whites owners rest easy you are in good hands..........jack from penna