Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us places you hunt, not the location, types of places.

Tell us places you hunt, not the location, types of places.

Different places to give others ideas where to look for those elusive targets. Where do you like to hunt?
    I tend to hunt parks or virtually any place where people have congregated over the years. I've just started knocking on doors and asking to hunt peoples yards if they look promising. I've gotten permission to hunt several late 1700-1820 beautiful homes but I am waiting for the grass to die this winter. Also just received permission to hunt 120 acres in the low country of S.C. this past Sunday. Work keeps interfering with my detecting though!
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Re: Tell us places you hunt, not the location, types of places.

Churches and houses are my preferred spots, but I'll hunt anywhere I can get permission.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

I used to prefer private property but since moving to KY I have tended to go for more public spots. I'm still struggling with finding some good places here.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I prefer to hunt for older coins, so I don't do much around totlots and schools. my last 2 meaningful hunts were in in Mass and N.H.
    while I was there last month on business. Which reminds me,
    Angie, did you ever find the spot I told you about, or give it to Angel
    to clean up? I had very little time there. 3 coppers, an oxshoe, and a cloak button. I did'nt even scratch the surface. Much of the area is grown in. maybe after a good hard freeze some of those bramble areas might let you get a coil in....Gil
    "Life is tough, but tougher when your stupid" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by grinsebring View Post
    I prefer to hunt for older coins, so I don't do much around totlots and schools. my last 2 meaningful hunts were in in Mass and N.H.
    to clean up? I had very little time there. 3 coppers, an oxshoe, and a cloak button. I did'nt even scratch the surface. Much of the area is grown in. maybe after a good hard freeze some of those bramble areas might let you get a coil in....Gil
    I will need to talk to Angie! It looks like you did well in the short time you were there.

I love to hunt the old parks and schools. Parks can be searched for days and still not even scratched the surface..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Here in the S.F. Bay area there are literally hundreds of parks. However, the majority are less than thirty years old. The trick is to find which have been around long enough to have a better chance of containing older coins.

I've been using this site for historic aerial photos: http://www.historicaerials.com/default.aspx

It's a bit cumbersome to use at first, but I work it in 2005 mode to get a view of the park and then tab back through the years to compare pictures. Around here, if I find one that was in existence at least in 1965 (there are very few earlier), I hit it hard.

Since the pics are the same angle/altitude, it's easy to see features that existed previously but have since been altered...tree lines that are now gone, etc.

I did this yesterday at the following park and found two silvers (rosie & quarter) along the strip down the right field sideline.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

That is some great research John!

What is the date on that first aerial?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by grinsebring View Post
    I'm going to find that PM you sent me. Heading out there this week so maybe we can hit that place. Remind me Gil... was that private property? Do we need to seek permission to go there?

I like to research and hunt historic sawmills. Around here I have found and hunted 3 of them and I find at least 1 silver half at every one.

I prefer private property over public....LOVE old foundation sites, farm fields and yards to older homes. Those are the sites I zero in on. I am kinda spoiled by where I live though...I pretty much know everyone here so asking and getting permission to hunt on private property isn't much of an issue...not sure how I would do on the mainland and don;t think I'd be overly comfortable knocking on the doors of people I don't know, thus would be more apt to lean towards public property if I lived in the real world.

In my neck of the woods my best finds have come from private property specifically old farms. Now by old for around here means between the 1870's to the 1930's. I have also hit a lot more chuches and old schools which have also produced but not nearly as well as yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    What is the date on that first aerial?
    1965. The next step back in time was 1958 and the park was an orchard.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

My favorite places are older, city homesites. They can be sparse or silver mines, but you can always find something. They are almost always virgin ground too. The only problem is getting permission to hunt them.

Next up are old parks, but these have been hit pretty hard

Nest would be old school yards, but these have usually been hit harder than the parks

Lastly are old farmhouse sites. Most farmers are cash poor, and in the old days were even worse off. While the occasional nice, older coin can be found, there just wasn't much to be lost. Ever seen old, holed coins? That's because coins were too valuable to lose, so they tied them all together
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

For the most part I'm a woods whacker. I really like going into the woods where I believe there was an old camp like the one I hunt that the Mich. National guard camps on and has since 1903. There is a vast area to hunt and sooner or later I'll hit the sweet spot and then you better watch out Angel I'll be right on your heels.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Cellar holes are my specialty! But I never kicked a picnic grove or old house out of my list Here in Mass, unhit holes are hard to find!!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Yeah, but you sure do hunt a bunch of 'em! I've only run across one here. We call them dug outs though. No stone involved.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Nothing new or earth shattering here for me cuz I live in a beach town, you can find me in the sand most days!! 8)
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I've been using this site for historic aerial photos: http://www.historicaerials.com/default.aspx
    This is a great link. Looks like I have some catching up to do after looking around at the old photos of my town.
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

Researching old treasure tales can lead one to all sorts of places. Fields, forest, caves, rock walls, old homes and riverbanks. Treasure is where you find it... and that could be just about anywhere. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector