Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us places you hunt, not the location, types of places.

Re: Tell us places you hunt, not the location, types of places.

summer time-lakes,beaches,parks any place that people gather to turn into stumbling,falling down fools cause they tend not to remember to pick things up .winter time the woods once the snakes calm down.this is timber country so over the yrs theres been lots of people in the area
    knowledge that isn't passed on is wasted

i first started out on schools and parks and picked up alot of clad with some silver and gold jewelry thrown in there once in a while , but i was really looking for old coins , so i started looking for places that would give me a better chance of finding them and old cellar holes and foundations proved to be a challenge to find coins . like anything else put enough time into something and you get better at it , and it has gotten easier and the coins are great to find but its some of the relics that are really getting me hooked now . so i would have to say places like old fields, cellar sites , old picnic groves , and even very old parks.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

depends on the time of year and mood

From the land of the Bluenose.....first consideration is the time of year which decides where to hunt. early spring means low vegetation and no ticks nor bugs so the old spots along the timber roads and old foundations back in them as well as fields as crops are not planted. One of the best spots here is along the roads that go back to lakes and the off paths.

In the summer I swish (water dig) and do sports fields along with school yards.

Fall it's back in the woods after the ticks have gone.

Winter......head to the Carribean and UK

Hope evryone has a good 2010.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

I started out almost 20 years ago hitting parks and beaches.Lots of competition,and became discouraged.Actually put the detector away for a year or two,but then i started thinking outside the bubble.So many other places,fire roads,trails,private property,conservation land,old dirt roads where old homes used to be.Im always scouting & looking,doing recon.Like someone said,the longer you do it,the better you get at it,and it does keep getting better every year.

I started hunting parks and churches over 30 years ago. Then I gradually hunted older homes where I lived but like many I was afraid of rjection in my younger years. My best finds came from parks that were designated Chitaqua parks and Churches . I still hunt parks. The older the better and try to gain permission to hunt older homes or the section (public property) between the sidewalk and the curb. Curbin is what we call it. I have 13 silver dimes so far this year hunting cleaned out parks. My oldest coin a 1910 Wheatie. My goals this year are to hunt a military campground of General George Armstrong Custer.I do have permission, finally. HH
    E-trac, Teknetics T2 SE, MXT, 6T.

"TODAY's THE DAY" Mel Fisher

On the ground when I lose my shovel, my gloves, my lighter,smokes,the button I just found , My hunting buddies when I lose sight of them. Should I go on. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Mostly military bases and parks but I take my detector with me to work as sometimes I get a chance to hunt places that normally are off limits.Like in old parts of towns when we tear up streets or tear down old buildings.I'm in under ground construction and haul the heavy equipment to different jobs in different towns.

If you have outdoor swimming pools this may help.

Some years ago I went to the county health dept and asked for a list of pools that were no longer in existence. As every swimming pool had to have a permit they had them all listed. Long story short = I got a listing, address included, of about 30 long gone ones and hit them all.
    Some now were asphalt lots, some have buildings on them but a bunch were just vacant lots waiting for me all those years
    steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Veteran Member

mostly parks and private property for me . the woods in the winter when the snakes and bees are in the ground.. churches seem to be a good place for folks . i might just try that .
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

I'm only a beginer... ::

I like parks and playgrounds... Schoolyard are the most productive right now for coins...

I did some local beaches, but it seems that I'm not the only one to hunt those beaches...

I tried some historics* spots were I know there was something builted there in the past, but those were to difficult to hunt for me right now... (dry and hard to dig and full of scrap)

I made a list of locations, I'm taking as much information as I can... (Like figure it out where was the building... Does the land scape is original...) And when I will have the time, I will go try again those site.

In my list, I have two railway stations... And old sawmill... An old municipal beach... A cellar (that I saw many years ago when I was a kid) located in the wood of a near by pulp and paper company (will be hard to get the permission)... (...Didn't know that it was a cellar before I found this forum... Now I wish to go back there with my MD)

* = Hunting to find historic relics is prohibited in Canada... But I think that the law is unfair and we are loosing a lot of artefacts and collectibles by letting them burried in the ground. I must admit that I want to hunt those site, but only for coins

Daniel <

French canadian from Quebec Hunting with :
    Fisher F5 Pro DD11
    Minelab Sovereign X2-S Pro

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celluforce link=topic=76.msg117487#msg117487 date=1342921133

* = Hunting to find historic relics is prohibited in Canada... But I think that the law is unfair and we are loosing a lot of artefacts and collectibles by letting them burried in the ground. I must admit that I want to hunt those site, but only for coins
    Communism I tell you...... lol...... ::
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I hunt antebellum and plantation homes, union and confederate campsites
    WHITES DFX

my favorite part of the hobby other than the great finds and exercise is the winter library visits also the court house map room. im lucky enough to live near my county seat and the maps are plentiful for .50 cents a copy. also records and old news papers from the early 1900 read like the whos who and whats what of county life from that time. barn dances dime dances and social gatherings outdoors were even more popular than gatherings today people had less ways to entertain themselves in the early 1900s..research is key to relic hunting but the coin hunter that's serious will winter at these spots for valuable info for spring hunts....lots of time can be saved securing permission for spring hunts in the winter...always research

I like old homesites because I like the relics more than the coins. I've got an old sawmill on my list whenever the ground thaws.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I like parks and old school sites.
    This year I plan to do some beach hunts with the AT PRO
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I started out more than 30 years ago when you could go to any park or school yard and come away with multiple silver coins. Over the last couple of years I started to focus on old home sites that may now be wooded areas as well as getting permission to hunt around old homes and farms. I pulled 10 LC's, 5 colonials, 3 half reals, a 2 real, seated half, a couple seated quarters and more from these sites. I use old maps to find out what was going on 150 years ago. Sometimes you find a lot of activity in an area that may now be woods. Here's a map from 1868 and some of my finds from June of 2013
    Name:  white plains map 00614018.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  90.6 KB Name:  coins found June 2013 obverse resize.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  48.5 KB

Ghost Towns for coins.

i like parks and alotments (comunal gardens i think you yanks call em) the one me and me mates have hit for two years now has produced 52 coppers and spanish silver among other things ,thay have been planting on the 300ft x 100ft site for 300 years and the town turns the ground over twice a year so it keeps throwing up more keepers each time.
    Last edited by lee; 01-20-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Farm fields all day long!! especially if there was once a house on the property.

Hi Lowjiber, The site you posted is interesting. I was checking it out and was wondering if one has to pay as a subscriber. What if any costs are associated with the site? Thanks