Thread: Database of sound signals

Database of sound signals

I don't know if there would be any value to this but the other day when I was detecting and picked up a strange signal, it occurred to me if someone else with a Sovereign would be able to give me some idea as to what I was picking up. Then I wondered if sample signals of various targets might assist someone just starting out. It would also be nice to hear what a deep target sounded like. Has anything like that been considered or is it just not a good idea.

Thanks
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Re: Database of sound signals

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6491.msg75813#msg75813 date=1311348310
    I don't know if there would be any value to this but the other day when I was detecting and picked up a strange signal, it occurred to me if someone else with a Sovereign would be able to give me some idea as to what I was picking up. Then I wondered if sample signals of various targets might assist someone just starting out. It would also be nice to hear what a deep target sounded like. Has anything like that been considered or is it just not a good idea.

Thanks
    It sounds like a great idea, especially since the target is still in the ground. It would take some effort though, and a video camera with a decent microphone to pick up the audio correctly. So when is your instructional DVD coming out with the all the audio signals? lol I don't know if anyone has ever put together different signals while still in the ground.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thank you for your response. I know that I could split the signal going to the headset and record it on a laptop but that would be awkward lugging something that size arround. I'm looking into small personal solid state recording devices. With memory so cheap, there must be something like that.

I would only record when I hit a target and I have computer software to manipulate the files (i.e. extract only the interesting signals).

The question is, is there any potential benefit to the forum to do something like that? If there is, I will look into it more seriously.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

The hardest thing to try and convey to someone is the sound you hear from your machine. Whether it be a flutey tone or some other term, nothing beats hearing it. Add in seeing the numbers, or cursor or signgraph or whatever visual your machine has, and you have a very powerful learning tool. If you ever get around to recording the odd, fringe, or deep silver signals, I'm sure you will get a lot of hits on it lol I'm surprised no one had sold a disc showcasing deep iron, falsing, deep silver, targets on edge, etc... Million bucks right there I think

This reminds me a bit of the downloadable E-Trac and Explorer simulators, where you can hear the tone for various items (although obviously not in the ground).

The downfall I can see, at least with some machines, is that people use different audio settings (different pitches, numbers of tones) etc. so what one person might hear would not translate to what another person using different settings would.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=6491.msg75841#msg75841 date=1311363790
    The downfall I can see, at least with some machines, is that people use different audio settings (different pitches, numbers of tones) etc. so what one person might hear would not translate to what another person using different settings would.
    I totally agree that there are a lot of potential combinations but I think if there are baselines then there is still potential for learning. As a beginner, I had and sometimes still have trouble when I get a good signal that shows on the meter as a potential coin. But there are times when the tone sounds just perfect and I know it's a coin. I'm still learning the finer points of the tones.

This also brings me to another point which maybe should be on a new thread. As an older person, I'm sure my hearing probably falls off real quick after 13 KHz. I wonder how that affects my ability to detect? I did a quick search (will do more) on what frequencies are used for various targets but haven't found too much yet. Does anyone have any input on that? Do frequencies above 13 KHz really penetrate that deep?

Thanks.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6491.msg75849#msg75849 date=1311366310
    I totally agree that there are a lot of potential combinations but I think if there are baselines then there is still potential for learning. As a beginner, I had and sometimes still have trouble when I get a good signal that shows on the meter as a potential coin. But there are times when the tone sounds just perfect and I know it's a coin. I'm still learning the finer points of the tones.
    This is a great point and you are exactly right. Even though tones on my various machines are different, there is still a distinct difference between a silver coin and a piece of trash in the same range or even a clad coin. Hearing it on one machine makes the translation easier, I agree. Even on my ACE 250, entry-level machine with a single volume and 3 tones, there was a definite difference between a high-tone bad target (usually an abrupt tone) and a coin (a nice beautiful bell tone).

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6491.msg75849#msg75849 date=1311366310
    This also brings me to another point which maybe should be on a new thread. As an older person, I'm sure my hearing probably falls off real quick after 13 KHz.
    Just as an aside, I would not assume that, unless you or other people around you are aware of it... also it depends on how old you are. Something like 90% of people in their late 80's or 90's have high frequency hearing loss related to age, but it's a gradual process and only around a fourth to a third of people in their 60's have it.

My ex-husband has severe noise-exposure high frequency hearing loss (from shooting guns with only cotton in his ears.... might as well not put anything in as much good as cotton does) but he is acutely aware of it (so is everyone else). Still, he used to refuse to get the car brakes checked when they started squealing because he couldn't hear it, even though the rest of us could.... but that's another story.

I wonder how that affects my ability to detect? I did a quick search (will do more) on what frequencies are used for various targets but haven't found too much yet. Does anyone have any input on that? Do frequencies above 13 KHz really penetrate that deep?
    I think it depends on your detector and settings. I mean, the operating frequency that the machine uses to detect a target doesn't necessarily have to be represented to you as a high-frequency audio output. Right? For instance, on my E-Trac I can set what tones I want to use for various operating frequencies. To some extent anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=6491.msg75859#msg75859 date=1311373567
    I think it depends on your detector and settings. I mean, the operating frequency that the machine uses to detect a target doesn't necessarily have to be represented to you as a high-frequency audio output. Right? For instance, on my E-Trac I can set what tones I want to use for various operating frequencies. To some extent anyway.
    I agree. The machine's frequency that is being transmitted into the ground, is not being used as the tone that you hear from your machine when you get a target response. Some machines allow you to set the detected target tone to whatever is comfortable for one's hearing. So no worries there.

Thank you both for the explanation regarding sound and my apologies for getting off topic.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Elite Member

I've always wanted to hear the signals Angel digs...can we make that a requirement for him? lol
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC