Thread: Your earliest memory of when you first discovered metal detecting

Your earliest memory of when you first discovered metal detecting

I was at my brother's out-of-town football game in the Fall of '74 and just happened to venture over near the playground where I saw a grandfatherly looking gentleman with with what I clearly remember to be on of those old White's Coinmaster beasts with the huge rectangular control box with a back aching . He was carrying a pail that had coins, a couple of toys at the bottom. I was one of those young kids that I now grumble about while out detecting. I asked him and I can still here him now. He quietly responded what he was doing and what he was trying to find. That's what kicked it off for me. I wish I could tell him how that single event changed my life. I always wonder if there is a chance he might still be alive today. I imagine he would be around 100 years old.

I would like to know what your earliest memory of what got you interested in metal detecting is.

Re: Your earliest memory of when you first discovered metal detecting

This past December my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. I said, metal detector. She said, done. Funny thing, in that short time many people have asked what made me want a metal detector. I can't understand how anyone wouldn't want one.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Kam - that old guy might have been me I'm not quite that old yet.

I saw a guy detecting in the park about 35 years ago and asked him about it. He told me and showed me. I remember thinking cool - free money. I sure have gotten more out of it than money now though, Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

My interest probably started somewhere around 8 years old when I spotted a marble and a green Indian head penny washed out in someones's dirt driveway on the way to school lol It was a couple of years later that my older cousin and I started collecting stamps and were driving to the post offices for new releases. Then we started collecting coins and very soon after that he came around with a machine that would find the coins for us It was a 19.99 Radio Shack detector (possibly even a Relco? ). First coin find? A memorial penny at 1 rofl I was hooked Nowdays I hate them Memorials rofl
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

As a coin collector from my early teen years I got interested in late 1969 trying to get more coins for my collection after seeing all those metal detecting ads for FIND BURIED TREASURE AND COINS !!!!Silver coins had been gone for a few years from pocket change and I wanted to find more to add to my collection.
    Relco Metal Detectors was located 1 mile from my house and I went --looked at what models they offered and went home--read the catalog and bought the best one they had the next day. After my 1st nice silver coin find---- I was hooked.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

my early memory 9is with my first detector in hand it was a 4db by whites probablyaround 1980s we went to a old park in ill near home it had been hit a lot i had the least exprnsive detector plus not knowing any about i got a graet signal right in front of a picnic shelter they said it was probably junk but i dug it anyway turns out to be a 1902 barber halve just goes to show you you never know what that next beep may be good luck keep digging dennis

I was always doing some activity in my younger days. I played in softball leagues, basketball leagues, played golf, raised three boys. Got into boating, water skiing- all the things that required physical activity. Had a great time with my boys. But then the unthinkable happened. Age took over and injuries happened to the point where my body told me, I don't think so. I was passionate about golf, my eyesight got worse (near sighted in one, far sighted in the other) making it tough to focus, even with glasses. My two brothers were avid detectorists, but I resisted. Two years ago my kid brother showed my a $5 gold coin he recovered and my oldest brother showed me his collection of rings he found. I figured if they could it, anyone and I mean anyone could it. Being naive and ignorant, I purchased my first detector, read up on it, went to a local school and found my first coin, a 1943 Australian schilling. I'm a detector-holic now. Back outdoors, always an adventure.
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

In the early seventies I purchased one of those kit detectors from a rummage sale. It was already built and only needed the transistor radio to make it complete. I dug up some big iron with the first few outings but I was hooked for life after that. Shortly after that purchase my grandmother bought me my first good detector for my 13th birthday. It was a Whites beachcomber.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

If I recall, it started in 1972 with my friend and I collecting coins which led into metal detecting. I saw one in a pawn shop which I couldn't afford it at the time. I used to go down to the neighberhood store and go thru the metal detecting magazines and boy these machines were cool. Later my science fair project, I decided to show how these type of detectors can pick up all kinds of metal. My Mom bought me Radio Shack kit with all the parts and I had to assemble it. The coil was the box where all the parts came in. It measured 3 1/2 x 5 approx. The copper wire was wrapped several times around the box. Didn't find anything with it though.

In the summer I got a bunch of yard jobs where I saved my money and by Fall I had enough to get a Jetco Mustang, which I thought was cool thumbsup01 I did find a bunch of junk and some coins. . . I was hooked from then on. Then in 1974, I had saved more money and I bought a Whites Coinmaster 5000/D. From then on I detected just about everywhere even including sites that are considered off limits due to the laws imposed. \

Over the last 37 years, I bought and sold many detectors such as Garretts, Whites, Fisher and I truly enjoyed them. Presently, I just get out of the house a couple times a week and spend 2 to 3 hours just detecting and clearing my mind. I sit to much at my job and I need to get up and out. <}

I hope to continue this great hobby now and for the future, God willing.

TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74