Thread: Tapping on Surface Coins

Tapping on Surface Coins

If I get a signal and it looks like the coin might be on the top of the ground or an inch deep, I will pull out my coin probe and tap around until I feel or hear a clinking noise. I may not be in Vegas, but I love the sound and easy recovery.

Re: Tapping on Surface Coins

I use my probe, but I turn it on first lol The inline probe I have can usually hit a target around 2 deep. Plus the centering is dead on that close.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

A whole lotta Beepin going on

LOL lol I guess we're talking about two different probes. Sometimes I just like the old fashioned one.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: A whole lotta Beepin going on

Quote Originally Posted by kamogawa link=topic=6900.msg80679#msg80679 date=1314496240
    LOL lol I guess we're talking about two different probes. Sometimes I just like the old fashioned one.
    Yeah, but really, no need for a probe that long for a surface find.

I am with George. I just put my X-1 probe on the ground and I know right where it is (I do this with any finds 3 inches or below). Just pull it out with my fingers.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by kamogawa link=topic=6900.msg80679#msg80679 date=1314496240
    rofl I guess we are lol I can forsee some chicken and mushrooms and other fine delicious things grilling on that probe though
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6900.msg80684#msg80684 date=1314498052
    rofl I guess we are lol I can forsee some chicken and mushrooms and other fine delicious things grilling on that probe though
    put a couple marshmellows on it and pass them over a grill fire
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

LOL I just picked a random picture off the Internet of a probe and attached it.
    Mine is not that long and is at the in-laws with a back-up detector.
    Gee, that did look like a marshmallow skewer, didn't it?

Elite Member

Oh, I so can't comment on this one or I WILL be kicked off the forum rofl

But on a more serious note.....I too use my probe to locate and thus dig a smaller hole, even if it is only an inch or so down....I sure George still make's his standard 4 foot holes so he doesn't scratch them ...is that a poke or a probe? rofl
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Not being out of my first year of detecting, I can't tell you how embarassing it is (even if no one is watching) to cut a plug only to find the coin sitting on the surface . The E-trac sometimes shows close coins deeper than they actually are located. Needless to say, while I'm getting better at checking the surface, I still get fooled on occassion.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

The E-trac can let you if you have a surface target several ways. First, you don't get a smooth response, you get a double or triple beep. Second, when you pinpoint, you get a very small, very hard BEEP. Deeper targets have a little ramp up into the center zone.

Thinking of it in reverse can help you identify large, deep objects. If your depth meter says it's at or almost on the surface, but you aren't getting those tell-tale signs then you probably have very large, yet deep target.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid link=topic=6900.msg82103#msg82103 date=1315837700
    The E-trac can let you if you have a surface target several ways. First, you don't get a smooth response, you get a double or triple beep. Second, when you pinpoint, you get a very small, very hard BEEP. Deeper targets have a little ramp up into the center zone.

Thinking of it in reverse can help you identify large, deep objects. If your depth meter says it's at or almost on the surface, but you aren't getting those tell-tale signs then you probably have very large, yet deep target.
    This is very good information. I'll have to focus better on what the detector is doing. Thanks for posting it.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030