Thread: I found a freaking US Cavarly Bugle...

I found a freaking US Cavarly Bugle...

Ok. I have been traveling a bit to a new spot and wow! I unearthed a Cavalry Bugle near an old Fort in Wyoming. The Maker's Mark says: J. Howard Foote New York and Chicago. I haven't been able to find a serial # as I only have a partial piece of the instrument but I found a little on the man, who turns out, is more of an instrument dealer than a maker:
    John Howard Foote (1833-1896) was born on 11 November 1833 at Canton, CT. As a boy, he was trained as a clock maker in Bristol, CT and later worked as a journeyman in the machine works of Woodruff and Beach in Hartford, CT. In 1852, Foote moved to NYC. In December of 1853, he was hired by the musical instrument importers of Rohe & Leavitt, and continued to work for them until 1863 when the partners retired and Foot bought out their interests. Except for a short-lived partnership with John F. Stratton in late 1865, Foote managed his large and successful importing business by himself until his death on 17 May 1896.

Foote is probably best remembered as the founding patron of the musical instrument collection of the Smithsonian Institution. In an 1882 letter to the Smithsonian Institution, Foote wrote “most of my goods, though not of my manufacture, are made to order by different makers from drawings, descriptions and in some cases models furnished by me.” In 1868, Foote established a branch store in Chicago. His firm served as the sole American agent for several French instrument manufacturers, including Antoine Courtois Mille. The company ceased operations in 1894.

Thanks for looking and HH
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: I found a freaking US Cavarly Bugle...

that is a very interesting and cool bit of history , your detective work on the makers mark is great its a crying shame about its condition crying01 congrats on recovering it. thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

very cool! like Dan said what a shame on the condition
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Another piece of history recovered, Congrats. I have the same feelings about the condition
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That is really cool! How deep was it? Are you finding other military relics there?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow... a very cool find. So much history sitting right there.
    Excellent post and recovery alderan33.

Quote Originally Posted by alderan33 link=topic=7026.msg81763#msg81763 date=1315452416
    Ok. I have been traveling a bit to a new spot and wow! I unearthed a Cavalry Bugle near an old Fort in Wyoming. The Maker's Mark says: J. Howard Foote New York and Chicago. I haven't been able to find a serial # as I only have a partial piece of the instrument but I found a little on the man, who turns out, is more of an instrument dealer than a maker:
    John Howard Foote (1833-1896) was born on 11 November 1833 at Canton, CT. As a boy, he was trained as a clock maker in Bristol, CT and later worked as a journeyman in the machine works of Woodruff and Beach in Hartford, CT. In 1852, Foote moved to NYC. In December of 1853, he was hired by the musical instrument importers of Rohe & Leavitt, and continued to work for them until 1863 when the partners retired and Foot bought out their interests. Except for a short-lived partnership with John F. Stratton in late 1865, Foote managed his large and successful importing business by himself until his death on 17 May 1896.

Foote is probably best remembered as the founding patron of the musical instrument collection of the Smithsonian Institution. In an 1882 letter to the Smithsonian Institution, Foote wrote “most of my goods, though not of my manufacture, are made to order by different makers from drawings, descriptions and in some cases models furnished by me.” In 1868, Foote established a branch store in Chicago. His firm served as the sole American agent for several French instrument manufacturers, including Antoine Courtois Mille. The company ceased operations in 1894.

Thanks for looking and HH
    Nice finds 33 . Keep it up .And good luck .
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Thanks to all for the attaboy!!

neat find,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.