Thread: 12x10 sef

Hybrid View

12x10 sef

best coil i have put on my MXT yet by far. Ground balance was as smooth as any I have ever ground balanced. Found stuff in a field thats been hunted pretty good but ground is hard as a rock and stuff was deep. Got a solid locked vdi on smaller brass items which I thought was really cool. This will be my coil of choice for open fields.
    One find at a time.

Re: 12x10 sef

Sef coils are great at separating and deep.
    WHITES DFX

Does anyone have a weight comparison to the 10dd coil. I am using the 10dd at this time and would like a little more depth but I'm a little concerned about the weight
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Ronandari , i just started using the 12x10 sef ( barrowed from a friend) on my dfx , its definitely heavier than the standard 950 coil ( i'm unsure how the 950 rates with the D2 in weight , i assume the 950 is a bit heavier) .it took me a bit to get use to the added weight but i was amazed at (for a big coil ) how sensitive to the really small bits , its depth is great but it has superb ground coverage . it made a believer out of me and is a great coil . to be honest i was going to save up a couple of Whites $100 dollar coupons ( from sending in finds stories) to get a D2 ) but i'm going with the 10x12 sef instead.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan. I have put it on order, it is my Christmas present from the Wife. Hopefully I will get some breaks in the weather to try it out. If it works as well as most folks seem to say I may put the 10d2 up for sale and use this one specifically for fields and open areas.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I have had my eye on the 12x10SEF for quite some time now, especially since they've got the V rated ones for my V3i. I have read really positive things about this coil, I guess they are a lot better around EMI and they're just as deep seeking as the D2 plus I guess they're about an ounce and a half lighter than the D2.

The original D2's that had an orange label were much lighter than the new ones, mine went south on me early this year and that really bummed me out but I did have the one that came with my V3i and I've since gotten accustom to the weight but it's quite a bit heavier then the very first one's they sold.
    Last edited by giant056; 12-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Larry , i know i get a lot less falsing with this coil ( as i run my machine very hot) than with the 6x10 , the separation of targets is very impressive for its size but the pinpointing can be challenging at first.

Dan

Thanks Larry and Dan. I ran my 8x6 SEF tonight and I was really impressed with the target ID. Found two rings, two tie clips and a crucifix on a short hunt today at the local fairgrounds that I had searched with my 6x9. I'm looking forward to running the 10x12. If the weight is comparable to the 10d2 I don't expect any problems.

Ron

The SEF's are really great coils. I wasn't sure how they would work on Del's DFX, but I was hoping he would have the same results that I had on my E Trac. It didn't take him long to score some super finds with the 12x10 coil. Now I have to lower myself to attaching a copper wire under his coil so that I can keep up with him .
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

​I understand that outsourcing search coils is more expensive, but I do wish more manufacturers would equip there detectors with Detech coils out of the box.
    John
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

I sent this question to Detech about three weeks ago with no response. Is the white SEF 10x12 a v-rated coil and the black color is not? And does the DFX need a v-rated coil? I understand the issue is with the 22Khz frequency and signal boost on the V3. In the last three weeks I have read about 200 posts from four different forums without finding an answer. I may upgrade to the V3 so I want the 10x12 to function well with the V3.
    DFX950, Whites 6x10 Shooter, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer, Gator Digger, Blue Max HP, Detech 10x12

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Hey Brownbeardad if you are planning to upgrade you will need the V-rated sef coil. I believe they sell them both in white and black for both models so just specify that its for both machines and has to be V-Rated to handle the tx boost. the dfx doesn't need a V-rated coil but can run fine on a v-rated coil .

thanks del for quick answer. i will be researching the best price now with the info you provided.
    DFX950, Whites 6x10 Shooter, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer, Gator Digger, Blue Max HP, Detech 10x12

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by brownbeardad View Post
    thanks del for quick answer. i will be researching the best price now with the info you provided.
    There won't be much price shopping unless you can find one used. I think only one manufacturer has the license in the US. I'm ordering mine directly from the manufacturer...I think it's in Bulgaria or something like that.

Detech is located in Shumen, Bulgari. Their website, http://www.detech-metaldetectors.com/products.html, does state the 10x12 is available for the v3i, DFX, MXT and M6, and the 8x6 is available for the DFX, MXT and M6. Only these two sizes for Whites. Yours is a Minelab? I looked at their dealers in US. two choices, www.accuratelocators.com and www.kellycodetectors.com. I've heard several negative comments about Kellyco among a few forums. Is that why you're staying away from Kellyco. I could not find a dealer in Bulgaria and I don't find an option to order from the factory. There are many dealers in Europe and Russia. Youv'e been helpful so sharing info.

I bought a 8x6 sef in december and have used it four or five times now. It is one of the black ones. I don't think they claim it's v-rated but on my v3i I can crank it all the way up to 15 with tx boost on and it doesn't overload. The VDI's in are dead on in 3 frequency mode. It's a pretty stable coil and wickedly deep for it's size. I'm pretty happy with it.

thanks for the info freemindstuck. do you find it to be heavier than the 10DD coil that came with the v3i?

Quote Originally Posted by brownbeardad View Post
    thanks for the info freemindstuck. do you find it to be heavier than the 10DD coil that came with the v3i?
    The 8x6 sef is definitely lighter then the stock 10DD coil. Of course it's a bit smaller too. I bought it as an intermediate size between my stock 10" DD and my 4x6 DD eclipse shooter coil.

thanks for the info freemindstuck. HH

I believe you can find the owner on Ebay selling the coils. I may order from there.