Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Trac User Settings And Programs

E-Trac User Settings And Programs

The following information should be helpful if you are new to the Minelab E-Trac. Hopefully it will assist you in shortening your learning curve as you become acquainted with your new machine.

Let's begin with each setting, a brief explanation of what each one does, and when they may come into play.

Below is a copy of the chart that is included in the E-Trac Instruction Manual. My own base settings, or starting point, are in blue. I will make changes as needed when out in the field, depending on the site being worked.

SENSITIVITY

Manual and Semi-Auto are available. The Semi-Auto setting allows the machine to operate at a sensitivity level it has calculated to be optimal for the site being worked. The user has the option of adding a value lower or greater than the sensitivity level chosen by the machine, that is, -1, -2, -3 or +1, +2, +3.

For example, if E-Trac has calculated a sensitivity of 19 to be optimal for a given site, the user can instruct it to also add +2 to that number, hence working at a sensitivity level of 21. While in this mode E-Trac will continuously monitor ground conditions, adjusting the sensitivity level accordingly. I have found that this works great when detecting high trash areas or where EMI may be a problem, while still providing excellent depth capability. I prefer working in manual mode at most sites, increasing the sensitivity level to 26 or higher, but I do turn to Auto Sensitivity when working areas where trash density is a challenge.

AUDIO

Threshold Level

This should be set to barely audible.

Volume Limit

This is the volume control. It should be set to maximum and left there. Rely on the headphone volume control to adjust the volume as needed.

Volume Gain

This setting amplifies the signals from deep targets. Many of us are used to seeking and listening for the tonal differences between deep and shallow targets, so the maximum setting may not be preferred. I have mine set at 28 from a possible 30. I find that it still provides a good deal of amplification on very deep targets while allowing me to discern the tonal difference between deep and shallow targets.

Response

For deep targets I prefer the Long setting, though I sometimes will try Pitch Hold. The latter is preferred by many for its ability to alert the user via a threshold change to a pitch corresponding to that of a target's tone range.

Tones

The E-Trac provides 1, 2, 4 and Multi tones. This allows for a good amount of flexibility and user preference. I like the Multi tones setting and use it almost exclusively. It does not appeal to everyone though, so also try 2 or 4 tones during your hunts to see which one appeals the most to you. There are others who use 2 tones along with the Ferrous mode when working cellar holes or other iron laden sites, and they do very well with it.

Tone ID Sounds

Conduct and Ferrous are available. Reading through many forum posts one would conclude that Ferrous tone in all metal is the only way to go when seeking deep silver, but I have found Conduct in combination with a low discrimination pattern setting to be phenomenal for hitting on deeply buried silver dimes. Yes, this setting will mean that you may be fooled by a few deeply buried iron targets, like rusty square nails, but even then the tones and repeatability of the signal can provide an experienced user with enough information to determine if the target is worth digging.

Tone Variability

This setting, along with Limits, allows the user to fully benefit from the E-Trac's tonal range, making it easier to identify highly conductive targets even among trash. With few exceptions this should be set at or near the maximum setting of 30. My personal preference is 29, though others may like a lower or higher setting.

Tone Limits

Set this to the maximum setting of 30 in order to maximize the tonal difference between targets. When used along with Tone Variability high conductive targets, such as silver, simply 'sing' and will be hard to miss.

Threshold Pitch

This one falls under the personal preference category. I like mine at the factory preset of 15.

EXPERT SETTINGS

Recovery Deep

The factory preset is set to Off. Make sure to set it to On! Weak signals will be amplified, allowing the machine to have more information to process, hence providing more accurate details on a probable good target. The signal on shallow targets will not be amplified. If working a site where all targets are shallow, for example an area where there is a layer of rocks covered with a few inches of soil, then set it to Off.

Recovery Fast

I now have this set to Off, even when working trashy sites. Having the setting to On allows the machine to recover quickly from target to target, lessening the chances that a good target will be missed during the reset period. It can very useful, but I have found the slight tone distortion to be too annoying for my taste. When working trashy areas I compensate by simply employing a very slow sweep. I have done very well at such sites without having to use this setting.

Trash Density

Having this setting set to High will allow the E-Trac to detect good targets next to rejected targets. Normally the signal from such trash, if it is the stronger signal, may cause the machine to ignore the weaker tone of a good target. This setting allows the machine to provide a signal for the strongest accepted target, even if next to a rejected target. I have it set to High at all times.

Ground

Most of the sites I work require this setting to be set to Difficult. I haven't had a need to set it to Neutral, though there may be situations where such may be required.

Noise Cancel

Though this can be set manually, I prefer the touchpad, allowing E-Trac to find the best channel for the site being worked. Simply turn on the machine, keep the coil elevated about 12 inches from the ground, and select Noise Cancel. It will take approximately 20 seconds for a channel to be selected. Start detecting once completed.

PREFERENCES

Contrast

Personal preference. I have mine at the factory setting of 15.

Pinpoint Mode

Normal

Show Sensitivity

On

Show Mode Info

Off

Display Timeout

Off

TIPS

I will often work a site known to have held old coins by selecting a relatively small area, gridding it, and working it slowly. If you decide to do such at your own sites, your sweep should be no faster than a 4 to 5 second count in each direction, and I would say that a slower sweep would be preferable if the area has many targets, such as pulltabs, aluminum screw caps, and other such trash. This requires a great deal of patience, and it will mean that you won't be covering much ground during each hunt. But it can be well worth the effort. Do this each time you are at the site, gradually covering much of the available ground. The E-trac can be worked faster than the SE however, as it is more forgiving with the sweep speed. When not working a grid I tend to speed up my sweeps while detecting open fields if targets and surface trash are few.

Deeply buried silver dimes will, for the most part, sound off very nicely on the E-Trac, though there are times when ground condition and trash density will cause an appreciable signal distortion on such deep coins. Carefully examine the high pitched tones, limiting your sweeps over the target to very short ones. This will allow the machine to provide you with more accurate information on the probable target.

Remember, the ferrous numbers may bounce somewhat on deep targets, going from 12 through 24 or higher. The conductive numbers tend to be more consistent, though they too will bounce somewhat. Use this information along with tones to help you determine if the target is worth digging. Personally, I rely on tones and use the display as a secondary target identifier. I should mention, too, that digging as many targets as possible during the first several trips out with your E-Trac is something you should be doing. It is a great way to become acquainted with what the machine is telling you on the many types of targets you will encounter during your hunts.

HH!

Re: E-TRAC USER SETTINGS AND PROGRAMS

Sweet!!! What a great write up. thumbsup01 Now if you could kindly tell us exactly where you find these silver dimes, we promise not to detect there This is a great chart and very easy to understand. If people use this strategy, their silver count will go up. Thanks for sharing that set up and technique. Believe it or not, this cellar dweller is gonna do some park hunting this year. A change of pace is always good.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Awesome write-up Angel... Everything made perfect sense...I can't wait to get a chance to use it....As soon as I'm able to get an ET. You tone hunt the same way as I like to do. The display is definately secondary when I hunt. I'm hoping the ET will provide more accurate tones for deep targets than my DFX does.
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

AWESOME thumbsup01 Just what I was looking for
    E-Trac,F75

Re: E-Trac User Settings And Programs

WOW Thank You kindly Angel. This is a great post.

Eagle 1
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Troy Head Phones, Garrett Ace 250.

That's what I'm talkin about. I'll print and give two adjustments to my ET and be right at your settings! I'll let ya know.....
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Volume Limit no can do that is just to loud I have to keep it at 12. My headphone dose not have volume controls. I use the Kross headphone that came with the E-Trac. Nice headphones but they should have put volume control on.
    If I can maybe I will just add some.
    Angel how bought your patten do you use the same one for everything or do you change them from time to time.

Eagle 1
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Troy Head Phones, Garrett Ace 250.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Sweet!!! What a great write up. thumbsup01 Now if you could kindly tell us exactly where you find these silver dimes, we promise not to detect there This is a great chart and very easy to understand. If people use this strategy, their silver count will go up. Thanks for sharing that set up and technique. Believe it or not, this cellar dweller is gonna do some park hunting this year. A change of pace is always good.
    lol lol

We need to get together sometime, George. Detecting at parks isn't as quiet as it is out in the woods, but it can be just as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle 1 View Post
    Volume Limit no can do that is just to loud I have to keep it at 12. My headphone dose not have volume controls. I use the Kross headphone that came with the E-Trac. Nice headphones but they should have put volume control on.
    If I can maybe I will just add some.
    Angel how bought your patten do you use the same one for everything or do you change them from time to time.

Eagle 1
    Yes, you definitely need headphones with volume control, otherwise you will have to keep that setting at a lower number. I had the Koss headphones too but gave them away. They did not appeal to me. I use and love the Original Gray Ghost Headphones. You may want to consider getting one, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle 1 View Post
    WOW Thank You kindly Angel. This is a great post.

Eagle 1
    Ditto!
    "Endeavor to persevere!" Chief Dan George to Clint Eastwood in the movie "Josey Wales"

Yet another thanks from Jaybird. So far the snow has kept me from geting used to the E-trac but your settings make sense. I had very limited success this spring with automatic but just started using manual 26 and you are right sometimes the noise is bad and I have to lower the numbers or go to automatic. Great post.
    E-trac, Teknetics T2 SE, MXT, 6T.

"TODAY's THE DAY" Mel Fisher

Awesome thread Angel! I'm just getting going on the E-Trac and this answered several questions I had.

Being a fan of trial by fire, I headed out right after opening the UPS box and was surprised at how much of a turn on and go detector this can be. The true power is in the tweaking and now that I have a pattern I like and adjusted some settings I just need to find the time to dedicate to finding those flutey tones.
    Minelab E-Trac

Thanks for the help. I have only been out 4 times or so with my new e-trac, and continue to dig mostly old deep iron, or imaginary dissappearing targets. But, using your settings, i did find a nice 1900 barber dime on the last trip. Me thinks that park might hold some additional loot.... lol

-Etrac user x

Veteran Member

This is a great write up Angel. I had a good work month, and now have an E-Trac coming in the mail 8) (I'm anxious to do some side by side V3/E-Trac testing to see which one agrees with me more).

I'm curious if you use the factory coin pattern, or a modified one?
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    This is a great write up Angel. I had a good work month, and now have an E-Trac coming in the mail 8) (I'm anxious to do some side by side V3/E-Trac testing to see which one agrees with me more).

I'm curious if you use the factory coin pattern, or a modified one?
    I use a slightly modified version of Andy Sabisch's discrimination pattern. I don't like the factory coin pattern as it has a greater rejection area. The pattern I am using works very well with the settings I have chosen and listed above.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Angel,
    You stated you use a modified version of Andy's discrimination pattern. How can I get your exact pattern and where do you find Andy's pattern. I have his book and Ive read it but I cant seem to find his pattern in the book.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Angel,
    You stated you use a modified version of Andy's discrimination pattern. How can I get your exact pattern and where do you find Andy's pattern. I have his book and Ive read it but I cant seem to find his pattern in the book.
    You can download Andy's pattern from here. See the bottom of his first post for the attachment. Once you have it in your E-Trac you can use the information on the post I made here to adjust the discrimination pattern to what I have.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Thanks Angel
    On the settings you just posted, you have the pinpoint mode set to sizing. On the settings at the top of this thread you have it set on normal. Which one do you use and why? If you use both in differant situations. What would they be and why? Thanks again.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Thanks Angel
    On the settings you just posted, you have the pinpoint mode set to sizing. On the settings at the top of this thread you have it set on normal. Which one do you use and why? If you use both in differant situations. What would they be and why? Thanks again.
    The settings noted at the top of this thread are the base settings. From there I make adjustments while out in the field as needed. The settings I posted on the other thread are the ones I have been using recently. Earlier in the year I had been testing the pinpoint mode, sizing and normal, at a trashy site, and then decided to keep using sizing. It's just a personal preference, not necessarily because it may be better than the other.

I have been playing with my son's E-trac for a couple of days now and just found this post. As others have said, it is a tremendous help and nudges me in the direction of purchasing my own. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Veteran Member

I check in here now and then to make sure of my settings , no one better than angel to get advice from , thanks Angel
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads