View Poll Results: How do your 2011 finds compare to previous years?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better than ever!

7 77.78%
  • Some what better.

0 0%
  • About the same.

0 0%
  • Down some.

2 22.22%
  • Way down!

0 0%

Thread: How do this years finds compare to previous years.

How do this years finds compare to previous years.

I did this poll to see if maybe new detector technology could be helping improve our finds. I would also like to know if your finds were made at places you hunted before, or new locations. My results are BETTER THAN EVER, but I have only been MDing hard the last month, and I am still learning. I have found my share of clad, but no silver yet. This week I found 2 wheats (1944 and 1954 S), so I know I`m getting closer to that silver. I have also found 2 rings. Most of my hunting is at public beaches and parks. Just recently I got permission to hunt 2- 100+ year old farms. I have been to one of the farms a couple times with limited success. I have been mostly taking out the trash.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Re: How do this years finds compare to previous years.

Once the trash is dug out you will be getting deeper signals...hopefully NOT more larger trash items--but coins
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

My find are up from my first two years. And I have up graded equipment over the two years.
    But more importantly, I've also gained two years worth of experience too. thumbsup01
    Like Robbie said . You gotta figure the place is 100+ years old.
    So that means you gotta weed through 100 years worth of trash too. lol
    But the goodies are there! thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Veteran Member

I'm up over last year in quantity, but quality (eye popping finds) is about the same (2 each year). It took me a very long time to get comfortable with the E-Trac (I think at least 6 months), and I am still learning it. I think what happens is that once you get some success, it motivates you to get out more, so you spend more time in the field, and then the numbers go up. OTOH, once the local places get pounded, the numbers will start to come back down.

I'm a total numbers nut, but I try to look at it as maximizing opportunity rather than maximizing numbers. Give yourself the best possible chance for success is all. Learn and read everything you can about your machine. Learn and read everything you can about your site and prospective sites. I was lucky enough to be able to read Angel's run at 1000 silvers on this forum last year, and it helps in learning the machine, learning technique, or just inspiration. I'm also lucky enough to live in a state where the entirety of aerial photos from the 30s and 50s are online for free. I don't know if this is true everywhere or not. These sorts of things really help. Good luck.

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Definately better than ever. Got the V3i this year, silver is up, wheats up. Quantity and quality are up. I have gotten several firsts this year. All in all I have no complaints with this years hunting( and we are not done).
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Well, since last year was the year i started detecting as an actual hobby and not till later in the year. This year is WAY better.
    Last year i found zero silver coins one silver ring and two gold rings. Not bad on jewelry and clad. I did a local junior high school that was sold and turned into apartments and pulled out over 800 coins from it.
    This year i have found 23 silver coins a silver religious medal and a sterling chain.
    Also four silver rings one 10K gold ring and so far $166.00 in clad. I also brought the total from the junior high school up to 1000 coins.
    Now the trick for next year is to find better places to hunt. Some old houses that i can get permission to detect. Parks and fairgrounds are good, but old houses seem to be better for finding quality items.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Sorry if this is a bit long-------------
    After using one brand of detectors for over 20 years..their forum ticked me off ( nuff said !!!)
    So I got a different brand mid priced unit, while deciding what to do with the 2 detectors of the other brand. I liked the way this new detector worked--it was finding items deeper and better in places I had used the old detectors. I sold the better of the old brand and then got yet a different brand to decide wether to replace the 2nd unit I had.

I liked that one also--it did much better than the one I had and it was put on the bay and was sold....along with the other extra coils I had for them. All gone.........

Both of the new units I bought are mid priced and do they match the old units??

NO!!!!!!!! in my opinion they surpass the 2 detectors I had used since Jan 2007--and I knew how to work those 2 very well---and though they were good producing machines------my finds have increased both in clad and older coins in areas I had searched many times with the other detectors.

I located 4 more silver dimes, 2 more silver quarters, 1 silver half, a silver dollar, 30 more wheats,5 more IH's, over 50 more nickels and over $230 in clad--more than last year end total--and there is still 2 1/2 months more to go.

My answer is------ this years finds are much better than last years--both in fun and items located.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Definately better all around. Getting to know my V3i and researching good places to hunt. Except I haven't found any LCs this year.

I found 1820 and 1833 last year. I think they might be my all time fave finds
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I can't reall vote because it depends on the category. If you are talking about clad and silver, I'm way down. It's been too hot and dry to do much land hunting. crying01

Jewelry on the other hand is WAY up. 6 gold and about 10 or 12 silver jewelry items. <:
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

i would say that my overall quantity is down from last year but the quality of the finds have more than made up for it .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album