Thread: I saw my first detectorist today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw my first detectorist today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<: I was hunting the grassy area of one of my regular city parks on the shore of Lake Michigan today when I spotted him wading the shore line about a 1/4 mile from me. I walk down the hill and across the beach and introduced myself. We talked for 10-15 minutes. He has been detecting for about 20 years, and had some interesting stories of find. He gave me hope that I will find my silver. He had not found much today, but had pulled out a WAR NICKEL in about 2' of water. I thought it was cool. His name was Jeff, and like the people on this site was friendly and helpful. I told him of a 100+ year old farm I have permission to hunt, but I was hunting the park today, because I wanted quantity (some clad). He said he would rather have quality, so if it doesn`t rain tomorrow, I`m going back to the farm.

And thanks to everyone on this site for being both helpful and friendly. |
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Re: I saw my first detectorist today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always fun to meet other detectorists. My two best hunting buddies I met while out detecting. Been hunting with them ever since.
    Yep... definitely spend some time at the farm. Go slow and methodical, your first silver will show up soon.
    Good luck.

I'm with ya thumbsup01 I live in a city of almost 1 million and have only seen 2 other people detecting over 2 yr period! I've also run into a few others detecting the parks in nearby towns- totalling prob 5 people in my vicinity. My MD friends I've accumulated by starting a club last year, we have about 25 members and everyone is from different towns in central ky. Maybe you two will start a club!

It sure is fun to have a hunting buddy- hope you guys get to go to the old farm tomorrow!

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Nice post. That is how I met one of my hunting partners. We basically hunt together alot and are always in some sort of competition for the day. I love it.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I never see detectorists because I hunt cellar holes but when I get to a site the first thing I do is look for their signs. You know, if they marked the trees with their scent etc
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's cool, rarely see any myself. All of my acquaintances have come through introductions by other mutual friend MDers or through forums.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token