Thread: Been working a Town Park.

Been working a Town Park.

When I first started detecting local parks, I wasn`t sure what the reactions would be from people that saw me, so far it has been positive. People that have talk to me, have only asked if I had found anything interesting, or even suggested places to hunt. Yesterday, at a town park near my home, I was approached by a town employee cutting the grass. He asked me if I had found anything interesting, just some clad and trash I told him, then he said I should hunt the ball diamond, which I had been treating as off limits to detecting. Not any more, I started hunting the diamond as soon as he finished cutting the grass, only had about an hour before I had to leave. I found some clad in that hour, but it was also nearly trash free. Looks like rain here today and tomorrow, but when it quits, I will be back to give that diamond a real going over. The rest of the park is littered with trash. This town park has been there for years, we hold are Progress Day Festival with carnival ride, food concessions, beer tent, and many big baseball tournaments. I have not found anything of great value, but I am pulling the clad from 6, so I feel I am improving by finding good targets fairly deep with trash all around. I feel this site has some potential. I think the silver is down there, I just have to listen to my detector for those suttle silver sounds. I found a Commonwealth of the Bahama`s penny yesterday, not valuable, but unusual for me. They also mint cheap pennies like the USA.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Re: Been working a Town Park.

i'm glad your being so well recieved from onlookers and park workers | the clad looks pretty deep in some areas but i'm pretty confident your gonna hit some silver soon . the pictured coin is a cool design and a nice piece from the normal clad.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good luck, I know we will see some good pic's soon. I see gold in your future at that ball diamond.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

That definitely is good news for a change, being well-received even by park employees! Thanks for sharing.

That is deep clad for sure, but like you said, it's great that you are hearing the more deep signals and the silver will come because of it. |

I like the Bahamas penny. Haven't ever seen one like it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Yup, that sure is refreshing language. I have experienced that a FEW times. Usually, people I come across are nice and some just stink. I mean we're diggin' in a park doing no damage while crime and such surrounds us. Just leave us alone already.

One day a groundskeeper was watching me unbeknownst to me. After I filled the hole, he came over and thanked me for doing such a nice job. I knew exactly what that meant. I had a passerby tell me I was really taking care of the park and invited me to check his yard across the street. Unfortunately, it was only a 10'x10' and didn't last long but it's the thought that counts!

When I find a park where no one bothers me, I am a happy guy (especially if there's potential there).

Good luck. Let's name this the friendly park!

HH

aaron
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Wow a park with positive responses. Hope you capture some great finds on that ball diamond. I usually attract people(especially kids) while my hunting partner is never bothered. Go figure...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Check the dates on the deep clad. Lots of deep clad from the 60s and early 70s is one of the signs I look for to indicate silver in the area. If its late 80s and 90s at 6 inches, I'm less optimistic about the site.

And yeah, when I get a good site, I work it for weeks straight, its fun to meet the local people, park people, and so forth -- almost all are nice and friendly.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Good luck getting out there when the rain subsides. Hoepfully this weekend's weather is good!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Nice... glad to hear you are settling into your element. I have come across the full spectrum of comments while hunting parks. 95% have been positive like the ones you experienced. Take the time to wave or chit-chat with the park employees. They are great people and will often give you a few tips (like the one you received) or simply offer nice conversation from time to time.
    Congrats.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Keep up the good work and here is a tip. Try the wooded areas if there are any. Those trees were probably not there years ago.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber