Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AD Anniversary Contest Posts Go Here

AD Anniversary Contest Posts Go Here

Please use this thread to post AD contest entries.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Re: AD Anniversary Contest Posts Go Here

Well, it looks like nobody wants to go first, so it may as well be me

I'll be the first to admit I don't find too many keepers on a regular basis but a few months ago I did make a find of a lifetime for me. I was detecting an old school for the first time. I was getting tons of clad and just enjoying the nice weather doing what I love to do. After about an hour I got a nice deep iffy signal that I decided to dig. The item I dug out at first looked like foil or tin. When I picked it up I knew it was something better. I saw the cross on the 1 side. It looked like some Reales I found in the past but this was square. When I got home I googled Spanish cobs and realized that was what I was holding in my hand. A 1714 Cob!
    I ended up donating it to the towns historical society so that it could be put on display and people could admire it for years to come.
    I do believe in karma. Good things happen to good people. By me donating it, others could enjoy local history. That in itself makes this the most memorable hunt for me.
    Happy 2nd Anniversary AD |
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Having fun is what it is all about!

The story of my best hunt, is really a series of three hunts and a return... This year has been a record setting year in many ways. Where I live (Oklahoma) set a new record for the hottest summer ever. Combine that record heat with a massive drought and you get yards, parks, and other turf-hunting zones that are baked like cement. You also get lakeshores that are 6 feet below the normal level. When I can't hunt the turf, I go looking in the surf. OK, so a lake isn't surf, but you do what you can!
    I have a lake that is about an hour away from me that I have hunted many, many times. I started out making several silver jewelry finds a trip, then one a trip, then one every few trips. Dry sand, in the water, I had hunted it all. Since the lake was at such a low level I went to hit it again. Not really expecting to find a lot, I was stunned to find both silver AND my first gold ever from this beach. I had to go back on my next day off to see if I could find more, and I did! I found more silver and even more gold on this hunt. One of the rings was a men's size 13 (big enough to fit ME, lol) gold class ring weighing in at 18 grams. That's the biggest chunk of gold I had ever found. I also found a second gold ring that hunt, for a total of 20 grams of gold rings! Well, you can bet I made another trip out to cover even more of the dried out swimming beach, and was rewarded with yet more silver, and another gold ring. This ring was sitting partially exposed on the surface, and was sand-etched on the exposed rim. A lot of people had walked right past this and never looked down.
    I was shocked, I was amazed, I was beside myself! I don't know how long I sat at home and fondled all those rings, especially the giant one feeling it's weight in my hand. I could never feel completely right when I held it though. It was a class ring, for a graduating class the next year. Some highschool kid had lost his ring, and I knew how that felt. It was from a school about an hour away, so I looked up the information and called the main number. It was still summer but I was hoping someone would be there. Someone DID answer! I explained what I had and what I was trying to do. As is typical in small towns, the receptionist knew the boy and said he had just walked out of the office earlier. I gave her my number and asked if she could relay it to him or his family. I didn't have to wait long, about an hour later his mother called. She had her son describe it, (not that there would be two with the same name and HS in that town). I asked for an address, and mailed it out to them.
    I recieved several more calls, from the boy, his mother, and his father. They told me the story of how it was lost, and how they had looked for it for days afterwards. They all thanked me over and over again, and asked me what I wanted for returning it. I told them I was just happy to return it, and I was.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

[size=1t]May 21, 2011

[size=1t]Four Barber Day

At this time I had only been back in the hobby for about a month after a 12 year absence. This was only my sixth overall hunt with my brand new E-Trac. After this day I knew that I had chosen the perfect machine for the type of detecting that I do, hunting for deep coins at old schools and parks.

I returned to an old park in a small town here in Illinois where I had previously found an Indian Head and some silvers. I had found my first E-Trac Mercury Dime and silver Washington quarter at this park. On this day I decided to venture over to the village hall that is directly across the street from the park. I found the Barber quarter almost immediately between the sidewalk and the street right in front of the village hall building. It was my first E-Trac Barber coin and only my second Barber quarter ever! I could not believe that the first Barber coin that I found with my E-Trac was a quarter! To say I was excited is an understatement! But then only five minutes later and just a few feet away I found a Barber Dime, also between the sidewalk and the street. By the time I had hunted just the area in front of the village hall I had found two more Barber dimes for a total of three, a silver Rosie, a small silver ring, and several wheat cents!

Oddly enough I returned to the village hall several more times but never found another silver coin, just some additional wheat cents. However, I will never forget that Four Barber Day! It was my most memorable hunt since I joined American Detectorist!

Some great stories of memorable hunts so far, I hope that we hear from many more of you! It doesn't have to be a mind-blowing find, just a hunt or experience that is memorable to you for any reason.

Don't be shy! thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

This had to be my most memorable summer of detecting ever. My hunting buddy and I literally cleaned up a dry lake for months, but we did make some good finds along the way. One day he says Check out this rock. We quickly agreed that is was some sort of artifact and started scouring the area for more. My wife was going nuts, picking up what turned out to be pre-Native American tools, that could be up to 14,000 years old. I found a few rocks as well but kept swinging my detector out to my side multi-tasking. Then I got a beep that I almost passed up. 1000 to 1 it would be another fishing weight to add to the mountain of lead melt I have accumulated. Decided to give it a quick scoop anyway just in case. About an inch or so deep flops over a dirt clod with a giant gold circle in it! Turned out to be the largest ring size I have ever found, size 13.25, and 10.2 grams of 14K to boot!

Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

Veteran Member

My most memorable hunt has to be when I found my avatar coin, a VF/XF 1800 half dime. I hadn't been detecting all that long, and the only thing I ever wanted to find was bust silver.

At the time, I had about 35 career silvers, including Spanish silver, but had no clue about how hard it was to find bust silver. That's what makes this story so fun, 'cause it wasn't at an 1800's farmhouse, ancient park, or door knocking, but at a park that was built in the 1980s.

I didn't have much time to detect that day, but I had to get out, and my goal was just to pound some clad and jewelery. I went to one of the closest parks to my house, a small park with nothing more than a baseball diamond and a soccer field. The only thing it had going for it was that it was built on top of a revolutionary war site, but with all the regrading and thousands of detectorists that must have been in there before, I didn't hold out much hope of a war relic (but the prospect is always a bonus).

So, not too long into the hunt, I hit a zincoln signal at 4 inches. I rarely dig them, but given the prospect of relics, I dug this one, and could not believe a bust half dime popped out. It was so thin and tiny (and I even nailed it with my digger, fortunately it had existing damage, so my ineptitude with the digger didn't cost money, only pride). In all honesty, I wasn't entirely sure what I had (I'm not a walking Redbook), so I continued to detect, but I could not focus, and after 15 minutes, I decided I had to get home and process the find. I knew it was something special, but I think I was still in disbelief.

So thats it. It cleaned up very nice, and I learned alot. Be careful when digging, even if a zincoln signal. And, good finds can happen anywhere. Of course, I haven't found bust silver since, and, I suppose, probably never will. I think the best part, tho, is that that find got me hooked on detecting forever.

(And, I always wonder how the coin got there. Its post revolutionary, so being a revolutionary site has no bearing. I imagine it may be from the fill dirt they must have brought in to build the park, or perhaps it got kicked up when they regraded (post revolution, it was just a farm field). Sometimes detecting is 10 parts luck, and zero parts skill. At least it was that day).

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

At my age (65) this may be a tough hunt for me to top....but one can never tell.

I was invited to a hunt with Dan, aka:del and George, aka:coinnut on Saturday, October, 22. 2011. We met at 6:30 am and I followed them to the spot. After limited success at the first spot they decided to make a move to another spot.

As we made the walk to the hole , about half way there, George broke off and headed down a wall and said he would meet us at the hole, hunting his way there. George and I continued and when we got there it was a beautiful spot, a lot of open area, walls, woods and lots of area where fields once were.

George went his way and I started in the rear of the hole and headed to a couple walls I seen in a short distence picking up a button on the way.

I could see a very large flat rock, built into the wall, different from all the rest and headed toward it. As I crossed the wall I noticed that there was another smaller rock in front of the face of the large flat rock. There was a 4-5 opening between both rocks so I ran my 5.3 coil over the opening and get a 72-76 blast but thought it might be trash because it was so loud.

My shovel was just narrow enough to barely fit into the opening and I start to remove about 4 of dirt when out comes the coin about the size of a silver dollar. I have no idea what it is because it is in very poor condition. I continue to remove four more coins before my shovel will no longer fit into the opening, but everytime I run my coil over the opening I keep getting hits.

Not being as strong as in my younger days I start to remove enough dirt to roll the stone out of the way. With my MXT Pro still singing that sweet tune, there is nothing in my way any longer and I remove six more coins for a total of 11.

As I make my way up the wall with my heart racing I see Dan coming into view and give him a yell. He heads over and I reach into my bag and pull one a handfull of coins. I wish you could have seen the look on his face. I placed all the coins on the wall so he could see them. It didn't take Dan long to say, I think you found a cache of 8 reale counterfeit coins here .

I was absolutely thrilled and so were they. I have only been doing this since March of this year but have already have some very nice finds but I do not think I will live long enough to top this day.

When I got home and cleaned them up I could see the 1807 date...a cache of 11@ 1807 8 reale counterfeit coins. They may not have any monetary value but historically they are priceless....if only to me and the two gentlemen that were with me when they were found.

MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Thanks everyone.... great stories!

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

My wife and I have been school teachers for many years in our home town. My wife's building had a secretary that was so beloved that the town named a day in her honor. We threw a town wide celebration with involvement from students, current and past employees, friends, etc. She was given gifts, they had speakers, it was like This is Your Life. :-> This happened around 1985. She retired after that, maybe 10/15 years ago. She grew up and lives on my road. Much of our properties are on the national register.....so after cleaning up my property I asked to detect her 30 acres. In my many trips there I'd show her my finds and ask her if she wanted them, to which she'd answer I'm trying to get rid if things. She didnt even want a British WW2 pin that her father bought when he lived in Canada during the war. <
    At first I have to admit that I was happy i could keep the items but started wishing I could find something she'd appreciate to the point of wanting. Many times I'd sit at her kitchen table chatting about the past. One time she brought out a scrap book that was given to her on her honorary day. She wanted to show me a student that had recently had issues but I knew she wanted to also show me and relive her special day.
    About a week later I finally got to the small lawn surrounding her house (I spent a month working her woodlands) and got a high signal to the left of her front steps. It was her official pin she received on her honorary day, which she must have dropped that day back in 1985 while bringing all her gifts in. She was sooo happy....!
    A few weeks later, when school started I was showing all my treasures to the students, a little girl chimes in that I had forgotten to mention the service pin I found for the lady. I asked her how she knew about it and she said the lady was telling everybody about it at church.
    Oh...and as I'm typing this I just remembered that I found a Connecticut copper a few minutes after the pin. Which at the time seemed like a gift for me for finding the pin...but now I realize I'll forget the copper long before the pin.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Being a metal detectorist, to me, was always about the thrill of the hunt. What lies underneath the dirt, can my detector pick up the signal? Could it be a rare coin or perhaps a nice relic? Granted I have made some nice finds this year and in years past, made WE&T Best Finds 2008, numerous silver coins, buttons, buckles, etc. But this year I made a find that really put it all in perspective. On May 02, 2011, I made a post Gold Ring Returned. Turns out that the wedding band I had found was lost in 1992. Fortunatly I was able to track down the owner by the initials inside the ring, along with a date. After doing my research, I located the widow of the man who had lost his ring. You can read the original post, so I am not going to copy the whole thing here.

The reason that this find was so important to me was the fact that I was able to return such a keepsake to its rightful owner. She was so happy to have it, she couldn't thank me enough. The post had over 300 views,and forum members made 35 replies, all of which were of such an upbeat nature.

To this day and I am sure, for many more to come, I can look back on the day that my wife and I drove to her house to return the ring, the smile she had along with some memories that she shared with us.

Below is a picture of the two of us and I truely pray that every detectorist can have an experince like this.

Thanks for reading
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Being new to AD I only have 1 hunt so far but it is one to be remembered for a long time. It is my 15 second hunt, that's right, a 15 SECOND hunt. I drove to a near by town to hunt a old park, a well hunted out park, for a planned two hour or so hunt. The plan was hunt till I was hungry and then stop at Pizza Hut to get supper go home and eat.

So I get to the park, put my gear on and double step to about where I left off on my last hunt and get a nice nickel hit in the first swings of the E-trac. As you all know those nice nickel hits are almost always just beaver tails but because I have found 1 V nickel and 6 Buffs (2 in one hole for the first time) in this park it was a no brainer I have to dig it. Before I can identify the nickel and put the plug back my battery goes dead. I had no spare battery with me because I just put the freshly charged stick in the day before and put my spare on the charger.

I was sure one of my rechargable battiers was toast!! Luckly I am just a fool because I must of mixed up the two and put the fully charged battery back on the charger. oh well, better then a toasted battery. Good news is the Nickel is a 1911 Liberty. Number two from this park I just starting hunting this fall.

ps. AD is the best fourm I have ever been involed with, can't wait to get to know th members better.
    YTD hours hunted 159
    Silver coins 38
    Indian cents 59
    Wheats 292
    Buff's nickels 2
    "V" nickels 6
    Sheild Nickels 0

About a year ago I was driving along an old country road when I caught a glimpse of this house:

I drove down that long driveway and drooled as I got a better look at the old stone house. I was nervous to knock on the door, but summoned up the courage and got a YES The owner of the house was a young woman and she told me that her family had lived there for many generations. The original stone part was built in 1790 and is one of only few stone buildings left in the county. She went inside and brought out an old booklet with more historical facts about the house. We sat together in the grass as I hand-copied it onto paper and she asked me questions about metal detecting. She was very intrigued as to what I might find.

I hunted there many times throughout the fall and gave her several relics and an 1883 IH. The most special to her was her great-grandmother's compact. I found it below the old dinner bell about 8 deep. With my loupe I could read Richard Hudnut- Three Flowers. The mirror was broken and there was still some pink rouge inside. It dates back to the early 1900's. She said her great-grandma was notorious for having very pink cheeks, so it must have belonged to her! And the time period was right-on... She was elated that I gave it to her!

Richard Hudnut Three Flowers rouge compact- late 1800's/early 1900's.

I also found a St. Louis Worlds Fair match safe that says Commemorating the Purchase of Louisiana Territory with Jefferson and Napoleon face profiles. 1804-1904

When I first dug it up and saw Napoleon and 1804 my eyes lit up!

The owner said that her family had traveled a lot back in the day. We imagined it traveling along in her great grandfather's pocket for the long horse and buggy ride from St. Louis to Central Kentucky. But I kept this one for my collection, she insisted.

Another reason this site is extra special to me is that this is where I found my oldest coin to date, an 1820 LC Also found at this site 1917 merc, 1864(L variety) IH, my all-time favorite skeleton key, a thimble, several cloak buttons and an amazing amount of lantern parts. Silverware and the lantern parts that I found under a huge oak tree led me to believe that was where the family had a picnic table and ate some of their meals.

This place was such an adventure, with beautiful scenery- rich in history... just have to share these of the family cemetary... No, I didn't hunt that area \ It was tempting though

This site has definately been the most memorable place I have ever hunted. The stone house, the history, the finds and especially the relationship I developed with the owner. Posting this has made me want to go back there to see what else there is to discover

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

One of my favorite hunts since I've joined American detectorist was this year. I had wanted to hunt a restaurant that is on a lake close to my home for a few years now. It was once a ice cream parlor/hot dog stand that had a small beach. The previous owner would not give me permission to hunt it so I filed the info in a folder for future reference. Last fall I had a new neighbor move in and I was told that they were the new owners of the very same restaurant I mentioned above. Lesson learned don't give up on a site if you get a no because property does change hands now and then.
    OK, to my hunt. I had met my neighbor a couple of times and ate at there restaurant a few times all leading up to me becoming aquatinted with them before I asked permission to hunt there property. I approached my neighbor and asked permission and it was granted. I had been hunting the site for about two hours when the owner came up to me to see what I had found. At that point I had some clad and a few wheats but not the silver I had thought I would find. We got to talking about the hobby and the things I have found over the years when he ask If I could find gold rings. I told him sure I could and then he told me about a friend that had lost his wedding band through the cracks of the restaurants dining deck. We walked over to check out the area and he showed me where he was sitting. It was a deck with about 2-3 feet of clearance and a lot of trash under it. I told him I would like to come back with a smaller coil and a little different setup.
    A few days later I returned ready to take on the challenge of finding the ring. I had my x8 coil on my Etrac and shortened it as short as possible so it would be easier to move around in a small space. I also opted for no head phones and set my sensitivity to Auto zero figuring I would not need much depth. I figured the ring was close to the surface since it had only been lost less than 2 years. After about 45 minutes, a few dollars in clad and a pouch full of trash I got a solid 10-22 on the Etrac. I brushed about a 1/2 inch of dirt away and there it was a nice size mans wedding band. What a great feeling it was to see that ring laying there. I climbed out from under the deck and went in to the restaurant office to see my friend. He reached out to shake my hand and I just laid my palm open with the ring in the center. He looked at it and looked at me and said you found it!! I just remember I had a big smile on my face and was proud of what I had done. He could not thank me enough and the ring is now back on his friends hand.
    Many forum members said they believed in Karma and that I would be repaid for my good dead.
    About a week later I returned with my Excalibur to hunt the water. Being new to water hunting I still had not found my first gold ring. So to make the second part of this story short I found a second wedding band on that property and it was my first water gold. A beautiful 14K women's wedding band. Now I'm also a believer in Karma.

The returned ring is in the first image.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

One of my most memorable hunts took place at the beginning of the 2011 season at an old homestead.

At this point in my metal detecting career, I was fortunate enough to have a nice pile of Mercs, Rosies, Washingtons,
    late Indian Heads and some 1900's Barbers sprinkled in along the way.

This year I really wanted to break into the 1800's with silver and possibly some cool relics. Just a few days before
    the yard gave up a coin that got me into the 1800's silver arena... an 1898 Barber dime. So of course I was
    going to return for more hunting.

This hunt gave me two very exciting finds. My first Seated Half Dime. A fun way to get my first Seated coin.

Along with the Half Dime, I found a button off a uniform from the Iowa Soldier Home. This facility was founded for soldiers of the Civil War.
    The button was my first genuine Waterbury piece and even better is linked to the Civil War.

It was amazing to recover two firsts in one hunt and even more exiting that I was able to get into a layer of history
    earlier than Mercs and Rosies. lol
    I remember clearing away the dirt on the Half Dime with water and thinking, Now this is the kind of thing they find out on the East Coast <:

Mine was a series of hunts at three different parks in three different cities.
    It wasn't that i found any really great old coins or jewelry at any of the three parks, but what i did find. At the first park i found a referee's whistle. Not an uncommon thing to find at a sports field i'll agree.
    But the very next day at a different park near where i live i found a small charm
    shaped like a whistle.
    The next day at a totally different park from the first two i found the rubber cover for the big whistle i found at the first park.
    So now i'm hearing the the theme from the Twilight zone!!
    Detecting is a fun hobby that pays off with valuable items that were lost (sometimes over 100 years ago). But it's also a brain teaser trying to figure out why you find what you found where you found it. It's like little Christmas presents you open by digging a hole. rofl

2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

I started detecting in 1962 and in the 49 years of detecting I feel this year has been my best,finding the 1850's church has been the best single site I have ever hunted,every coin I found there was in the 1800's,and I have yet to find a new coin there and not one pulltab,I had found 15 old ones and the last time there I found a first,that was the 1835 bust capped dime. I also hunted a church camp
    where I found two silver rings and one rosie dime + a total of $93.24 in clad.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

2011 has to be my most memorable year as far as quantity & quality of finds.
    breaking last years large copper total of 34 was an accomplishment in itself with 60 3/4 so far
    Not to mention finding my 3rd 1789 George Washington inaugural button. Another goal was to dig a 1820's NY state militia Excelsior button
    these 3 milestones would have satisfied me for the entire year but,it just gets better.
    the highlight of 2011 for me has to be a small pocket spill of early colonial americana at a cellar hole site. 2 beautiful 1787 Connecticut coppers coins and the coveted 1793 chain cent with a rare reverse.the word AMERICA abbreviated AMERI.
    The editor at Western & Eastern Treasure magazine said i'm pretty much a shoe in with the upcoming Feb issue of the 2011 best finds publication.
    Metal detecting for me,is the most rewarding hobby one can have.
    The companionship & camaraderie of hunting with others who share a passion for history,whether it's showing eachother finds during the hunt,asking opinions on unidentifiable items,comparing signals at a site,cleaning your finds,taking pictures,displaying them and being an active member of this forum are just a few of the things that I most enjoy about this hobby.
    I have been very blessed to have had pretty good success in the 21 years of park & old home detecting & the 4 short years I have been colonial cellar hole hunting. I hope that my finds after I'm gone will be cherished by future generations to come.
    In closing I wish everyone much success in detecting.be safe and may GOD bless you all!
    Dave
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

few more pics
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Discovering History Through Medal Detecting
    By: Tim F. aka Dig Em All

It was a sunny, and crisp mid November morning, with temps predicted to rise into the upper 60's. After a country breakfast of fresh hen eggs wheat toast with melted butter, thick crispy bacon ,coffee and OJ to wash it down with. My friend and I decided to hit the local Connecticut forest for some casual metal detecting where history records read:

“The land was once the lushly forested hunting grounds of the Paugussett Indians. Fur traders, such as John Wakeman in 1642, were the first people of European descent to move into the Indians' territory. Permanent settlers began arriving in the late 1650's. The land was gradually purchased from the Paugussetts for items such as clothing or cooking utensils. Because the Europeans concept of property rights was not embodied in the Indian culture, the Indians often sold the same parcel of land several times.”
    “The new settlers cleared the land for farming and took advantage of their location on the Housatonic and Naugatuck Rivers by developing the area into a trading port, which at one time rivaled New Haven harbor. The name of the settlement, originally called Paugussett was changed to &quoterby in 1675 after Derbyshire, England, the former home of many colonists.”
    After several hours working the old colonial field stone walls, enjoying the outdoors and with only one 1982 dime to show for it, my friend and I decided to call it a day and head back to the vehicle, continually swinging my “Pioneer Bounty Hunter 505” I received a strong signal 6 down. Carefully I cut a circle with my hand shovel, removing the plug, I started separating all the roots, allowing me to see some rust in the dark black soil, I continued removing scoops of the earth around this rusted object, and finally was able to free this Connecticut style hand forged ax head.
    [img]http://[http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/p...AD013.jpg/img]
    Contemplating this early colonial relic, I could not help but wonder the history of its use. Who made it? Who used it? And can only imagine the day the owner lost it. Was it the winter, fall, summer? Was the owner chopping firewood, building a log cabin, clearing the forest for his livestock or food plot?

I began researching the area further and have discovered multiple historical finds which would confirm early American settlers as well as a Native American Indians that lived this area as my research would suggest. Items discovered during my detecting include: Native American Mortars used for centuries to grind nuts and corn for food. Historical Artifacts and Colonial Relics also found in the area include 1700’s-1800’s ”Gentlemen’s Knife, Horseshoes and a Buckle:

1800’s coins such as: 1802 Draped Bust Large Cent.
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/p...nt011_crop.jpg

And another coins that need research of their own like this 1832 80 Ries with Brazilian Governmental recall

(Sample below researched on line)
    http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Brazil_1832-R_80_reis

“This specimen was struck at the Rio mint in Brazil in 1830. The minting of copper eighty réis began in 1811 and continued until 1833, well after independence. The eighty réis was the same size as that of the old forty réis. This type was struck at Bahia 1824-31 and Rio 1823-31. Counterfeits are numerous, particularly of the Bahia issues, which were cruder than Rio issues.”
    “By the 1830's, so many had been issued that the public began to refuse them. In 1835, the government called them in and countermarked them to half their former value to increase their acceptance. Private and counterfeit countermarks also exist, making this series confusing but fascinating to collect”.

Finding that ax head was just one day that has lead me to centuries of historical artifacts and the knowledge to recover such relics while metal detecting for everyone to enjoy.

Early U.S. Militia Hatplate or Hat Badge

I've set some goals of things i've wanted to find Since starting this hobby many years ago and one of these goals i knew was going to be a very challenging one . I have only seen one relic like this in person and maybe just couple on internet forums in years . My most memorable find in the last two years was discovered this past April and it couldn't have come at a better time because up until that time i was going through one of the worst detecting dryspells that i can remember and i had not seen a large copper coin in my pouch in about seven months .

Well the day started out with my detecting buddy suggesting we hit some cellar sites far out of town but i told him i had a good feeling about another one that was very close by. We initially hit this particular place one other time but after those meager results we both knew it was detected hard by others.

We got there as the sun was comming up and it wasn't that much longer when i heard a deep sounding button or shotgun shell target , there about 7 or 8 inches down i pulled up a green flat disk that looked like a large copper . It was a very smooth one and i couldn't believe it sounded so low on the conductivity scale so i place it back on the ground to get another reading and sure enough it was very low like a shotgun shell . I knew then it was a crude counterfiet copper <: my first large copper coin in months , if i had notheing else all day i still would of been happy . Well with renewed spirits i worked and area that looked real good , it was around an older outline of a building like a large shed or even a small cabin and a small gully . As i searched the edge of the gully i hear a loud overload sounding target under the coil right away i could tell it wasn't an aluminum can as they sound a certain way with a pridictable vdi number. No this was different and it read very shallow maybe an inch and a half to two and was pretty big , my first thoughts was a large piece of scrap brass as these arn't uncommon at sites . I then pinpoint again right over the target as this will shrink the target down and get a more accurate idea of the absolute center , well expecting a large piece of junk i dig a three inch plug and see what i thought . Its a large piece of curled brass and being a large item it read a little shallower than it was .

It was still a little burried so i grabed the corner of it and turned it over to see this

I was stunned for a few moments , I was almost afraid to pick it up lol lol

<: <: happydance02 I then had to show my Buddy George who was just 30 yards away and boy did he know from my big grin that I had something special .

i thought i would post a picture of what it might have look like back in its day on one of the military hats of that time period.

Keep looking for your goals there out there

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album