Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gloves?

Re: gloves?

I am now going into my second year with the same pair of leather gloves.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=7574.msg87182#msg87182 date=1319730502
    I'm curious what gloves people wear while detecting? I've been wearing batting gloves, because they are very nimble and dexterous, but they just don't stand up in the field. I've been thru three pair already this season, and they are burning up my clad money >:# >:#

Any info on brand and where you get them is appreciated.
    Hello Randy,

I prefer gloves that have some tackyness at each finger tip so gripping the detector handle, digging tool/trowel and other tools won't slip. I found these at Harbor Freight. There named 'western safety' and there about under 6 bucks. There made of nylon and faux leather so you can throw them in the washing machine if really dirty. My friend gave me a pair of G-Tech gloves a couple of years ago and I really like the feel and the tackyness at each finger tips, they run about 4 bucks.

Good Luck in your decision,

TC-NM
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

Elite Member

Gloves

Overrated. Get your hands dirty, and use your Lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole. But when it's cold, I just use cheap brown cloth gloves to keep my hands warm.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=7574.msg132501#msg132501 date=1358957870
    Gloves

Overrated. Get your hands dirty, and use your Lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole. But when it's cold, I just use cheap brown cloth gloves to keep my hands warm.
    oh Rob , Rob , Rob \ , you'll quickley change your stance after that first time you slice your finger open on a piece of glass or sharp piece of metal while your scooping out the dirt from a hole.

i have a bet that Al isnt big on kissing boo-boos either lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

I use heavy leather work gloves that my company gets for doing septic work. I find I lose a little dexterity but am fully protected when something tries to poke me in the hole. The gloves also come in very handy for bottle diggin' as they are so thick there is no risk of cuts when handling glass shards... They also work super well for heavy yard work...
    MineLab Explorer SE with the PRO Coil added for the land work, MineLab Excalibur II for beach and under water work, and Whites Spectrum XLT for backup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7574.msg132513#msg132513 date=1358974436
    oh Rob , Rob , Rob \ , you'll quickley change your stance after that first time you slice your finger open on a piece of glass or sharp piece of metal while your scooping out the dirt from a hole.

When I first got my E-Trac in the spring of 2011 I was hunting in a park and a little girl about 9 or 10 years old was watching me. She was very polite and well-mannered. I was recovering a target and reached down into the hole to scoop the dirt out. I cut my finger BAD on a piece of broken glass. The blood was pouring out. I thought the little girl was going to pass out. (And I didn't feel so hot either, LOL!)

From that day on I have never hunted without gloves. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 03-11-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7574.msg132513#msg132513 date=1358974436

AAAAHHH...Dan...be a man...some cuts and scraps, a little blood...just make sure you have your tetnise shot up to date....
    as I said just use your lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole...

But that just goes to show...you do care....
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7574.msg132527#msg132527 date=1358996275
    When I first got my E-Trac in the spring of 2011 I was hunting in a park and a little girl about 9 or 10 years old was watching me. She was very polite and well-mannered. I was recovering a target and reached down into the hole to scoop the dirt out. I cut my finger BAD on a piece of broken glass. The blood was pouring out. I thought the little girl was going to pass out. (And I didn't feel so hot either, LOL!)

From that day on I have never hunted without gloves. Lesson learned. thumbsup01
    It only took digging into red ants twice to convince me that gloves are needed. Won
    t go detecting without them now.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

im with rob get your hands dirty!Gloves just go bad then you gotta buy more,heck if ya gotta buy gloves but the latex ones in a box it comes in 100 or so and is pretty cheap,unfortunately they do sweat a lot in the heat...

I like the mechanics gloves all the others I have tried take away to much feeling or dexterity.

Yup, I'll back that up! I never wore gloves unless it was cold. Sliced my finger on a can slaw...

I wear cheap mechanic gloves from Northern Safety.

Buy cheap you get cheap. I paid $20 for a pair at the hardware store and the have lasted 2 years.
    WHITES DFX

Ive used the mechanics gloves only they come apart at the seams on me. I now use harbor freight mechanics gloves under 6 bucks. I also welded a t handle on my digger so there isn't much pressure on the gloves
    .Name:  image_23165.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1952.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  30.5 KB

Like some of you, I use a pair of mechanix gloves. Had the same pair for about a year now and they are holding up. Small holes in the fingers but I tend to get a little excited sometimes! Smeigs

I used to detect without gloves but the hook end of a coiled spring taught me a lesson. True, the mechanic's gloves wear out pretty quick, but while they last they have pretty good 'feel' and fit.
    I used heavy leather gloves for underwater recovery. The last thing you want to leave behind you in Gulf waters is blood.

I use a knit coated cut level 3 safety glove. Being knit, it breathes well to keep cool in summer, yet adds warmth when it's cool. With the cut and abrasion resistance I have no signs of wear other when I lost some of the coating so far which was no big deal to me. I have dug many holes and suspect they will last many years. They have saved my hands countless times from broken glass, razor sharp shredded cans, etc. Price was only about $10. There are better ones out there too, depending on cut level, puncture resistance, and abrasion resistance. Just depends on what you want to spend. Seen extreme condition level 5 gloves go for over $200 a pair.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America