Thread: Masonic Button:huh:

Masonic Button:huh:

I found this button a while back and have yet to find it in any referance books or on line. Just wondering if anyone could identify it. I looks like the square and compass of the Masons on the top, but just now sure. I believe it dates to the late 1700 early 1800's. :-\. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    He was loyal to his own kith and kin, but stern and unrelenting with his enemies. He was brave, and he loved the stir of battle." Quote from Cornwallace of the British army about settlers in Concord/Charlotte NC. during Rev. War.

Re: Masonic Button:huh:

Nice button!!! Did I say Nice Button already? lol Very nice button I know you shouldn't clean it until you find out about it, so is there any way you can sketch out what you see on it? We'll even take a bad sketch lol This way we can try and match it up or even e mail it to some button collectors or button clubs. I looked through Albert's Book and did not see much like it there. Someone knows what that button is and it may just be a matter of getting a good sketch of it, out to some serious collectors. Worth a try.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Yeah that's not a bad idea...I will give it my best shot and post it tomorrow. Thanks for looking and for the help!
    He was loyal to his own kith and kin, but stern and unrelenting with his enemies. He was brave, and he loved the stir of battle." Quote from Cornwallace of the British army about settlers in Concord/Charlotte NC. during Rev. War.

hello Miller buttons usually give more information from seeing the back than they do from the front , on the back is there a makers mark or a design or logo and is it a one piece button or a two piece these also help in determining the era it was made . more info will help greatly .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Drawing

Here is my drawing of the button I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hello Miller buttons usually give more information from seeing the back than they do from the front , on the back is there a makers mark or a design or logo and is it a one piece button or a two piece these also help in determining the era it was made . more info will help greatly .

Dan
    Thanks for the reply Dan and you are correct, but in this case there is no makers mark or any markings on the back. It is also a one piece. I think it is probably early 1800's, but I'm just not sure. Thanks again for looking!

very interesting button how about a back picture still , like to see the shank if its cast or a wire shank and how it fastened to the button itself and the thickness of the actual button . sorry for all the requests .

very interesting button how about a back picture still , like to see the shank if its cast or a wire shank and how it fastened to the button itself and the thickness of the actual button . sorry for all the requests .
    No problem! I think the shank is wire and the button itself is very thin.

hey Miller the button does look pretty old and the shank in the pictures to me look like it was cast along with the button at the same time . i can't tell from the pictures but is there a seam line (from a mold ) on the back that runs down the middle of the back.

Dan

hey Miller the button does look pretty old and the shank in the pictures to me look like it was cast along with the button at the same time . i can't tell from the pictures but is there a seam line (from a mold ) on the back that runs down the middle of the back.

Dan
    No there's no seam and it looks to me like the shank was added. I can see, what looks to be, solder at the base of the shank.

I'm not very smart at buttons and stuff but....does the shank on the back mean it's pre revolutionary war period?
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil

Well, The way the button was made can tell a lot about when it was made. In this case, I believe it is from the late 1700 early 1800's, but still not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by miller6670 View Post
    Well, The way the button was made can tell a lot about when it was made. In this case, I believe it is from the late 1700 early 1800's, but still not sure.
    Hey check this out! The Blairwitch symbol....

http://www.radioliberty.com/Symbolsandtheirmeaning.html
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP