Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Detecting Code of Ethics

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics

Here at American Dectectorist we always encourage all of our members to follow the general Metal Detecting Code of Ethics. thumbsup01

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics
    I WILL fill all holes and excavations.
    I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
    I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
    I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.
    I WILL leave gates as found.
    I WILL remove and properly dispose of any trash that I find.
    I WILL respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
    I WILL observe all laws , whether national , state or local and to aid law enforcement officials whenever possible
    I WILL NOT detect in cemeteries.
    I WILL NOT steal a friends spot.
    I WILL NOT litter.
    I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
    I WILL NOT tamper with signs, structural facilities or equipment.

As much as our hobby depends on us following these few simple rules. It only makes us, as a whole, look good. Remember that all detectorists may be judged by the example you set. Always conduct yourself with courtesy and consideration for others. thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Re: Metal Detecting Code of Ethics

What if he/she is outta town and it's a really good spot? >8)

My wife is always talking to people who say that i can hunt some old houses in town that are empty. They say that the county can't even find the owner to get tax money out of them. So it would be O.K. if i hunted it.
    I tell her i'm not going to hunt without permission! I've asked people for permission three times so far and have been shot down all three times. But i'll keep trying.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR link=topic=8014.msg91412#msg91412 date=1322602477

What if he/she is outta town and it's a really good spot? >8)
    but the laws state....
    Arrrrrr,,,,,They're more of what we call 'guidelines'...
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I've been mainly hunting public parks and school I've never asked for permission because I wouldn't even know who to ask I just assumed its public land and I'm a tax payer so I have every right to use those grounds for hunting if this is a wrong assumption please let me know?
    1 mercury

Quote Originally Posted by carl2112 link=topic=8014.msg108013#msg108013 date=1334160424
    I've been mainly hunting public parks and school I've never asked for permission because I wouldn't even know who to ask I just assumed its public land and I'm a tax payer so I have every right to use those grounds for hunting if this is a wrong assumption please let me know?
    As far as parks go... I always call the police department of the city the park is located and ask if there are any city ordinances prohibiting metal detecting in the city parks. So far I have never come across any. Next, I get the name of the person I talked with and keep that in my pocket just in case I get approached while in the park. thumbsup01

Most parks and schools are public property. However there are private schools, and even private parks.
    When looking to hunt a park or school I will usually drive around (or walk) the property and look for any posted rules. Most parks will have them posted. Signs that will state rules such as.... Keep pets on leash, no loitering, no littering , no vandalizing, park closes at dusk....
    Just because your a tax payer doesn't always give you the right to detect all parks and schools. But more times than not you'll be alright doing so.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Some parks are off limits. I know of numerous ones in my area that you cannot hunt at. Stanley, Thorp, Rice Lake all in Wisconsin just to name a few.
    (2) Whites DFX, Eagle II SL 90, Coinmaster, DB4, PRL-1, Surfmaster II, Whites V3i, FISHER 1212x, 1225x, Garrett Pro Pointer, Wilcox All Pro #251 Digger, Sun Ray DX-1, Whites Bullseye II, Whites Auto Scan Detector

I know this is a controversial subject but if the cemetary owner allows detecting on the outskirts no where near the graves is it still considered bad forum?

I did notice #14 on the forum rules,is talking about outskirts of cemetary against the rules just wondering,im fairly new to this forum and dont want to bend rules so what ever you decide i will respect!

I think the main concern is how it would be perceived by people passing by, especially ones that may have a close relative buried in the cemetery. Even if you have permission and even if you're not detecting near the actual graves, it could still be upsetting to someone who happens to see you detecting near the cemetery.

It just isn't worth the negative perception that it could cast on the hobby.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hi ssserena,

Rule #14 (not posting about detecting in cemeteries) really is just based on the code of ethics and our efforts to respect them here.

The code of ethics is fairly standard and you will find very similar variations of it on most detecting forums and many sites.

Not detecting on cemetery grounds is a matter of respect to those who are buried there as well as their families. It's just in poor taste, and there are many, many other places to detect that do not fall into that category. That is the rationale.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Sorry Tony, I posted at the same time as you.

It's a great point. I know I would be upset to see someone detecting on the outskirts of the cemetery where my parents are buried.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Every park I have hunted, I pulled them up on goggle under the city's name and Parks & Rec. Once I find a contact, I e-mail them, and when I get my OK reply, I copy and laminate it, and carry it with me. I have found one town that metal detecting is a NO-NO. Columbia Mo. Six months ago, it stated No Metal Detecting at all. Just recently I looked on their site again, and now they have Detecting is allowed in some areas for surface hunts only!, no digging Also the schoools in this town isn't any better, I personnally contacted the directed of the school board, and they want a back ground checked performed on you first. Once cleared, it is up to the individual princaples at each school to grant the finally OK. Needless to say, I'm just detecting else where.
    HH all.
    Just one more Beep!

I wont hunt a friends site but niether will i tell him where I hunt. I and my wife Git'er have been detecting for three years and are members of rusk co. treasure hunters, east texas treasure hunters, WWATS, and will be at Kriver for the hunt and Greenville chapter of GPAA get together, We'll also man our booth at the TAMDC convention in Longview, TX. A Code of Ethics is circulated to all of our new members as well as making the public aware of our adherence to it at these meeting and conventions. HAPPY HUNTING, SKIPPER

Quote Originally Posted by skipper link=topic=8014.msg136454#msg136454 date=1364158979
    :detecting: I wont hunt a friends site but niether will i tell him where I hunt. I and my wife Git'er have been detecting for three years and are members of rusk co. treasure hunters, east texas treasure hunters, WWATS, and will be at Kriver for the hunt and Greenville chapter of GPAA get together, We'll also man our booth at the TAMDC convention in Longview, TX. A Code of Ethics is circulated to all of our new members as well as making the public aware of our adherence to it at these meeting and conventions. HAPPY HUNTING, SKIPPER
    lol, Maybe I should be more protective of my spots. I have one friend I detect with sometimes. I do most of the research and it has never even occurred to me to tell him he couldn't hunt my spots. After all I don't own the land on almost all of the spots I detect. And if he wants to ask the same people in town, that he probably knows as well as I, given that it is a small town. I take no umbrage, but I'll have to watch out for that I don't want to make others mad.

None of us are going to get rich dirt digging, therefore I see no harm in telling where I dig, nor sharing the search site with friends. I am just as happy seeing a friend recover a Barber as I am digging one myself. It is the friendship and fun that makes for good hunting. The competition digging makes for a fun afternoon!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walker614 View Post
    None of us are going to get rich dirt digging, therefore I see no harm in telling where I dig, nor sharing the search site with friends. I am just as happy seeing a friend recover a Barber as I am digging one myself. It is the friendship and fun that makes for good hunting. The competition digging makes for a fun afternoon!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Walker , some sites do not replenish themselves with finds like parks , schools and beaches can and are far less public . these places are more difficult to research and find due to long lost history and or remote , secluded or private places. I believe this is what was considered when the "code or proper etiquette " rules were drafted .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yea I get that. I just think detecting is more fun with friends.

Genesis 27:3
    Now then, get your equipment---your quiver and bow---and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by walker614 View Post
    Yea I get that. I just think detecting is more fun with friends.
    I would completely agree with you there.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I bring a large white garbage bag that keeps knees dry, holds the garbage and I scoop all the dirt on it so nothing shows after you refill. And a plastic tent stake to narrow the signal down with my budget pinpointer.
    Last edited by Olivinetoothedcreeper; 11-07-2016 at 11:45 PM.