Thread: last couple of hunts

last couple of hunts

well here some finds from the last couple of hunts with Fooserpaul and George ...

Paul invited George and i to his nice detecting spot a week or two ago and i pulled up this 1800 draped bust , its in rough shape and i feel if i clean it i'll lose what detail it haves left . its a date that has eluded me so far | thanks Paul thumbsup01

just recently the Pequot indian Museum has started back up with its surveying and excavations of a few new Native American villiages and have ask for more assistance from our detecting club . this Saturday George and i were the only ones who showed up and i for one was a little dissappointed in the lack of participation from our club , its usually tough detecting conditions with little results and saturday was no different as the rain was falling on and off all day . they requested us to find everything iron and non-ferrous metal and they got alot of iron lol lol only they will know if its the right time era .

before our pequot hunt which was around 10:00 am george and i hit a new cellar in a new area , it was a very big and different looking colonial with alot of area and outbuildings all around the dwelling.

we had about 2 1/2 hours before our museum commitment and George used it well to get a 1774 silver spanish 2 reale ( sorry no picture) . then we returned after our pequot hunt and detect around the old cellar for another couple of hours . George found a shield nickle a two cent piece and a barber dime , while i got a clad dime >:# >{
    then i hit a 1918 wheatie penny a 37 mercury dime and then a 1822 large cent followed by an extremely worn King William III half penny then a cut or quartered braided hair large cent . with some mixed relics and trinkets too.

heres the large cent cleaned up a bit its a little rough

the cut penny

and heres a civil war era button from about a week ago , its a New York militia Excelsior

hey thanks for looking and HH.

Dan

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: last couple of hunts

Great finds and pictures Dan !! A QUARTERED CUT PENNY Man , they did more than pinch their pennies in those days !!!! Most people won't even bend down to pick one up nowadays . Give my regards and a hello to George . I always enjoyed his posts and his great sense of humor . I used to laugh my butt off rofl when you guys would poke fun at each other in jest ( yourself ,Heavymetal and George) .Glad to hear he's still out there digging up the good stuff . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Great of you guys to donate your skills and time to the Pequot Indian Museum . |

Veteran Member

Love that draped bust and the quarter cut. Date that has eluded you? Draped bust LC is a type that has eluded me, and is high on my bucket list. Congrats on a very sweet hunt
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

that is a strange lookin foundation some very nice finds there and I bet you do well on return trips there! wheres the william coin? did you forget the pic? 8/
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

A bunch of BEAUTIFUL finds Dan! Its really nice that you and G are helping out the museum
    Having fun is what it is all about!

... and these were a great couple of hunts.
    I know you've heard me say it before, but I'm going to say it again. I love the LC's you guys keep pulling out of the ground.
    They are such a rare thing to find around here. The more you guys post them... the more I want to dig another one. >:{ lol
    The 1800 is a great find and the 1822 looks beautiful to me. Great score on the Merc.
    Your second photo of the dwelling is fantastic. It's hard not to gaze at it and wonder what the daily life was like back when it was thriving with life.
    Great post and congrats Dan.

It's cool to see you guys helping out the museum again
    Sounds like George find a dandy! And I'm not talking about a button. \ lol A 1774 2 Reale! Wow!
    And after a slow start, you had a dang good hunt too! Congrats on the clad dime! lol
    No seriously. The 1822 LC is really nice! And I can only dream of finding a half penny worn or not
    Unless it's a half rotted zinc penny >{ lol
    Great post Dan! And Joes right. That is a cellar hole hunters post card picture right there! thumbsup01 lol
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Super nice hunt! How'd you make out with the museum....did you find any clues for them?

thanks everyone .

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy link=topic=7243.msg83948#msg83948 date=1317636694
    Super nice hunt! How'd you make out with the museum....did you find any clues for them?
    the museum hunt went well , we didn't discover a new lost tribe of Connecticut lol rofl.. they just wanted us to go over areas that their very amature detectorists ( volunteer students who want to be archeaologists someday) already went over and we found alot of targets they missed , mostly iron bits , nails and more modern trash targets . it was a possible Indian village but now their not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=7243.msg83892#msg83892 date=1317599573
    wheres the william coin? did you forget the pic? 8/
    here it is but theres not much to see so i'll put what the coin should look like , if you got a good eye you can see the similar outline of the back of Williams head and ribbon from his wreath but thats about it . the back is completely smooth which means this coin passed through many hands and travel alot.

hmmm... after looking again i think it may be a William & Mary copper instead take a look and tell me what you all think. to me it looks closer to the outline.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

What did Pequots use that was made of metal?
    You guys are awesome ...only people I know that stop for a few hour hunt on the way to a hunt lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by charlives link=topic=7243.msg84012#msg84012 date=1317669154
    What did Pequots use that was made of metal?
    You guys are awesome ...only people I know that stop for a few hour hunt on the way to a hunt lol
    lol lol the day is a long one for sure as we were out the door at 5 am and i didn't get back home until about 7:30 to 8 pm that night .

hey Drew , Kevin McBride is the head archaeologist for these hunts and he's a wealth of information and loves to talk about how these native people lived , the time frame for all this is from the Pequot wars in 1637 to the end of King Phillips War about 1675 . the Indians did alot of trading with the Dutch and were enemies with the English , they had brass kettles , small iron such as nails , hooks but probably didn't use them as tradition nails but as drills , punches among other things. they would cut up the brass to use as arrow points or even jewelry . i have yet to find any Indian brass but i have found about a dozen or so musket ball from the actual 1637 battle site in Mystic indian fort . its great to dig up actual relics from a very early American historical event and to be the first person in almost 400 years to see and touch that item since that epic day its quite a rush...

Dan

Wow... I don't even know what to say.

You guys are incredible. I can't even imagine finding what you do. Just one of those finds would make my year. And it is amazing what you do for the archaeologists.

Thanks for sharing the history of your finds. That is what this hobby is all about.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7243.msg83950#msg83950 date=1317640522
    hmmm... after looking again i think it may be a William & Mary copper instead take a look and tell me what you all think. to me it looks closer to the outline.
    Yes, I definitely agree that you have a William & Mary because the ribbon is closer to the G.

Mind blowing finds, Dan! It has been over 25 years since I've found a large cent. I can't even imagine finding them with the regularity that you do! Your finds are always an incredible site to behold!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member

Way to go Dan ...some great finds there!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Candidate Member

More great finds by both you and George. Thank you for the stories and pictures. I come to the forum now anticipating reading about another one of your adventures and anxiously await the picture post of your finds.

You both proved to me that enthusaism, good detecting skill and perserverance result in a detecting adventure worth writing about.

Even though I've detected for over thirty years I've never met two detecting partners who were so well matched as to dedication to the each other and the hobby and your unselfish giving of your limited detecting time to help the archeologist find Indian sites and artifacts.

I deeply appreciate how both of you are willing to share your detecting and preservation knowledge to anyone that asks.

Good luck to both of you in finding what's next on your wish list.

Wow, again and again... it's so neat that you guys are still doing this with/for them. I would love to be a part of that! Too bad I live like 2 days away lol

That pic of the dwelling is so amazing. Like Joe said, it'd be interesting to see what life was like back then- in that same spot. You guys did great

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7243.msg84015#msg84015 date=1317670870
    Kevin McBride is the head archaeologist for these hunts and he's a wealth of information and loves to talk about how these native people lived , the time frame for all this is from the Pequot wars in 1637 to the end of King Phillips War about 1675 . the Indians did alot of trading with the Dutch and were enemies with the English , they had brass kettles , small iron such as nails , hooks but probably didn't use them as tradition nails but as drills , punches among other things. they would cut up the brass to use as arrow points or even jewelry . i have yet to find any Indian brass but i have found about a dozen or so musket ball from the actual 1637 battle site in Mystic indian fort . its great to dig up actual relics from a very early American historical event and to be the first person in almost 400 years to see and touch that item since that epic day its quite a rush...

Does he or the Pequot Indian Museum have any sort of website about their project?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by BobE link=topic=7243.msg84192#msg84192 date=1317767770
    More great finds by both you and George. Thank you for the stories and pictures. I come to the forum now anticipating reading about another one of your adventures and anxiously await the picture post of your finds.

You both proved to me that enthusaism, good detecting skill and perserverance result in a detecting adventure worth writing about.

Even though I've detected for over thirty years I've never met two detecting partners who were so well matched as to dedication to the each other and the hobby and your unselfish giving of your limited detecting time to help the archeologist find Indian sites and artifacts.

I deeply appreciate how both of you are willing to share your detecting and preservation knowledge to anyone that asks.

yep! them 2 knuckleheads are like peanut butter & jelly,heckle & jeckle,abbott & costello, moe & larry minus curly.2 peas in a pod. seriously 2 great guys & a love of history & a drive that they instilled in me when hunting with them. 2 alright guys in my book thumbsup01 welcome to the forum Bob!
    lets aee a pic of that higley please?
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

thanks everyone for the nice comments

Quote Originally Posted by BobE link=topic=7243.msg84192#msg84192 date=1317767770

Bob that means alot comming from you sir , you were a big inspiration when i first joined YTC about ten years ago and i feel very fortunate to have met you .

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=7243.msg84196#msg84196 date=1317768849
    Does he or the Pequot Indian Museum have any sort of website about their project?
    thanks Tana
    the website that does explain some of the history and does mention parts of the project is this one Tana http://pequotwar.org/ i'll ask Kevin if there is another with more info or site pictures

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7243.msg84209#msg84209 date=1317776973
    thanks Tana
    the website that does explain some of the history and does mention parts of the project ....
    Thats a cool site Dan! You guys should be proud thumbsup01
    It's even evident the museum is very grateful too
    http://pequotwar.org/2011/04/much-th...-coinshooters/

Some of the description of the members they mention resembles some of the characters we know and love lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Yea isn't that strange about the Copper. I remember he found a Lg Cent cut in half. I was Like What the heck. I can see silver but copper? Maybe it was a Love Token idea. One person would get one half and the other would get one half. I don't know, any better ideas??
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now