Thread: In line filters

In line filters

Does anybody have any experience with those in-line filters that attach to the coil wire and claim to reduce EMI and RFI interference?

Re: In line filters

Never heard of them. I have seen frequency shifters, but those were mainly a gimick. I think the only real use they found was for competition hunters to keep from cross-talking to same-model detectors.

Are they still making these? I don't remember seeing one in many years.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by hftrsrskr link=topic=8114.msg92311#msg92311 date=1323315792
    Does anybody have any experience with those in-line filters that attach to the coil wire and claim to reduce EMI and RFI interference?
    hello hftrsrskr , welcome to the forum
    they do still make these for some detectors and some guys will swear by them . what detector did you want it for i might be able to help you locate some .

Dan

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I have a Vaquero and a Compadre and saw the filters on ebay for 6-7 bucks. Just wondered if they did anything.

most of these you see are just standard ferrite bead inline filters and will reduce some emi from high power tension wires but most of your emi issues are under that khz and they won't do much if anything to help with that . you could give them a try its your buck.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

This is my experience with them Dan. They do help a little directly under high voltage lines, but have no effect most of the time. They are cheap, and radio shack carries two different types. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money them.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Would there be a gain loss with an inserted device in-line? I'd think that there'd possibly be a 3db hit, half power with the extra connectors. Just a thought.

It does not actually plug into the cable. It snaps on around it, or in the case of the circular ones the cable is just threaded through it twice.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I see, it is a ferrite bead. Thanks. Does it mount near the box or near the coil? martin

I would think as close to the box as you can get it.