Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minelab pinpointer rumor

Veteran Member

Minelab pinpointer rumor

Rumor has it that Minelab will be releasing a pinpointer this spring. If anyone has any hard info, please post (there is an annoying UT vid that I did not feel was worthy of posting; feel free to search it out)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Re: Minelab pinpointer rumor

It would be nice to see this be true. :->

Garretts running away with the hand held PP market with their Pro Pointer.
    It only makes sense that Minelab would try and retaliate
    I checked out the YouTube vid......aaaah yeah ......kinda annoying lol
    Thanks for the heads-up Randy. |)
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I have never unterstood why another company hasn't competed with the Pro Pointer. There's just way too much business out there.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I've wondered the same thing, why Minelab had not come out with decent pinpointer. I hope it is as good as the Propointer.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

IMO handheld pinpointers are really cumbersome and don't get much depth. Minelab should make an inline pinpointer for all their models.
    It might be ok if it detects upwards of 5 inches in depth. That's the downfall of the White's and Vibraprobe. About an inch. Pretty much useless.
    Hope Minelab carries their quality over to the pinpointer.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Quote Originally Posted by midas link=topic=8773.msg99135#msg99135 date=1328309491
    IMO handheld pinpointers are really cumbersome and don't get much depth. Minelab should make an inline pinpointer for all their models.
    Have you ever used a Garrett Pro-Pointer? Plenty deep. I used a inline for years, and will never go back. By using the Garrett I can keep my detectors as light, and balanced as possible. I do see the advantages of the inline, but not worth the weight, and de-tunning issues to me. I am looking forward to the Minelab version, if it's for real. Rumors are starting up about Whites having a new probe as well. Just rumors as far as I can tell. Carl seems to be hinting, or may be he is just having some fun with his customers.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

From what I've read on the Garrett Propointer is 1 to 2 inches. Or you can jerry rig it with a coin for an extra inch. I use the DX1 on my V3i and it gets 4 - 5 inches no problem. That depth is what I need to determine if there is still something there. I was looking at the Detector Pro Pistol Probe. But I like an in line probe better because it takes on the personality of the machine you're using. (disc, sensitivity, etc.)

So you have never used one?

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by midas link=topic=8773.msg99164#msg99164 date=1328321230
    From what I've read on the Garrett Propointer is 1 to 2 inches. Or you can jerry rig it with a coin for an extra inch.
    I'm getting 4 inches easily with my Pro Pointers. I'd say I've picked up targets even farther away than that if they're big enough. I know you can detune them to lesson the response. And I've heard of how people claim to get an extra inch with sliding a coin on it's side or something like that. But never could get it to work with mine. I'd like to get my hands on one of these Minelab PPers if they are a reality. I'm with Jack. I wanna keep my rig as lite as possible. Although I was tinkering with the idea of strapping my Pro Pointer to my upper shaft for easier access thumbsup01 I like the idea of being able to use the machines discrimination but it ain't worth the extra weight.
    JM2C

If you are getting 4 without sliding the nickel trick,,,on say a nickel target,,,you have a really special Pro Pointer. I doubt most anybody gets more than 2-2.5 open air even on a quarter at best. Yea, the Pro Pointer hits deeper on bigger things, like on my septic tank buried at 18. I would love it if my Pro Pointer would hit 4 on general coins all the time. My hunt for another PP would be totally over when I find one of those.

Just maybe the Minelab is that animal. Time will tell. The Garretts PP is still the king today! A tad more depth above 2-2.5 would sway me away though, but the proximity mode has to be there. martin

I don't know why people are talking about extra weight of an inline probe as if it weighs 10 pounds. When you're swinging a 5 pound Minelab or Whites, 6 oz. doesn't really matter. An inline signals thru your headphones. A handheld signals externally as an attention getter for everyone to hear.

The weight of the inline probe is about 11 or 12 ounces, depending on revision used. While not enough to really effect overall weight it does noticeably effect balance of the detector. I have used the inline on the DFX, MXT, and V3 detectors extensively. It really shines on the DFX in pinpoint mode, and on the MXT in motion mode. On the V3/V3i with two different units it was prone to de-tunning, and GB shifting in pin point mode. The final issue that made me start looking for a hand held solution was discovering that the the inline probe actually caused the D2 coil on the V3 to fall out of spec and loose sensitivity in testing. In some cases the coil would even overload.(AC at higher settings) After going to the manufacture web site, I discovered that it was the switch that caused this issue. It is in fact listed on the manufacture web site as a known compatibility issue. I really did not want to add problems to an already delicate and sensitive D2 coil. After trying the Garrett and getting a solid 3 inch range with proximity alert ability, it quickly became my probe of choice. The additional range gained by using the Nickel trick is just icing on the cake. As far as the external noise, it is really quite minimal compared to the hooping and hollering I do on a regular basis when digging a keeper. lol
    I am hoping that if Minelab releases a probe that it will in fact adhere to the high standards of the rest of their equipment. The sensitivity setting is what is interesting as they may have integrated the Nickel trick right into the probe itself. I hope it is more than a rumor.

Jack

I will stick with the Garrett's hand held propointer until another hand held pinpointer comes out that has multiple tones and is as durably made as the Garrett's . I will continue to let myself be fooled by the ocassional piece of iron I have to dig up with my good targets .There are not that many targets where I hunt to warrant the weight and the expense of a Sunray inline if there were I would buy one in a minute ( and I have had Sunray inlines before ) . I would rather have seen Minelab put their time and energy and some of their profits into making a lighter more ergonomic FBS machine

Doesn't look like much, Looks like a modified bullseye. I used the Bullseye for 6 years and i never had a problem with it. I now own a Garret and I love it. Why do you want depth with a pinpointer? 2 or 3 inches is all you need to PINPOINT. If my Machine says something is 6 inches I dig 3 inches then bring out the pinpointer for the last 3. lol Good luck to anyone that buys one, I heard there 169.00. I also try to buy American when possible.
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143

It looking pretty good from the details on this advertisement...

[attachimg=1]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=8773.msg100267#msg100267 date=1329061628
    It looking pretty good from the details on this advertisement...
    Yeah ! That should squash any doubt lol

Quote Originally Posted by Merc link=topic=8773.msg100244#msg100244 date=1329045556
    Doesn't look like much, Looks like a modified bullseye. I used the Bullseye for 6 years and i never had a problem with it. I now own a Garret and I love it. Why do you want depth with a pinpointer? 2 or 3 inches is all you need to PINPOINT. If my Machine says something is 6 inches I dig 3 inches then bring out the pinpointer for the last 3. lol Good luck to anyone that buys one, I heard there 169.00. I also try to buy American when possible.
    Neither of my Pro Pointers are reliable for 3 inches for small coins like pennies, dimes and other treasures below those sizes. Yes, more depth to me is a very good thing. Gimme 3-4 depth on my Pro Pointers and I would ask the same question of why we need more. Garretts dependable 1-2 on small targets would be great if is was 2-4. JMPO. martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL link=topic=8773.msg100300#msg100300 date=1329075707
    Neither of my Pro Pointers are reliable for 3 inches for small coins.... Gimme 3-4 depth on my Pro Pointers.
    I know air testing is around 2+ with my Pro Pointer too . But I know it has detected a dime over 3 inches pretty easy. A dime at 4+ it's just a tic or so(with fresh batteries). But it's still letting you know dig this way.

**** I know this is bigger than a dime. With a smaller coin the resualts might not be the same. This is just to show the PP does reach farther than 2 inches without any nickle trick.****
    Here are the 2 films of me finding a half dollar at 7 deep that I mis-pinpointed with my detector (I'm thinking the coin was on edge) But I easily mis-pinpointed by 5 to 6+ inches and the Pro Pointer still sniffed it out.

In Fire Fighter43 (Jeff's) video I get my first tic at 4:09 in that general direction. Then again at 5:00, in the same general direction, more beeps. Then at 5:49 one more beep on that same side of the hole. Then as he come s back at 6:05 you can see the hole is much wider (about 3+) to the cameras left/ my right. What you don't get to see after Jeff stopped filming is me widening my hole by about 3 inches and continuing to tunnel in another 2+.
    Jeff's view:
    Metal Detecting Wisconsin with the Minelab Etrac Season 2 E

Here's my video after I found it. At :55 seconds hit pause. You can see about the original outline of my hole . And also see how the hole was widened from the 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock positions. Then I show the couple of inches I still had to tunnel in to get at this coin.

My view:
    Back to Wisconsin with Fire Fighter 43= Semi-Key Barber Half

But I'm still very anxious to see and hear the reveiws, about the Pro-Find 25, that are sure to start pouring in after it's release! :->

Tim,
    My experience with the Pro Pointer is very reminiscent of what you describe about 2 inches air testing, 3 inches when recovering a coin. The pro Pointer runs in the 12kHz range so a nickel will give you a response at a greater distance than even a Quarter will. The Nickel trick extends the range out about double the distance in the air and ground. It is important to use a low conductive target as a slide adjustment to get the range. I actually use a a gold ring on my finger inside my glove of course. lol This adjustment would appear to by built into the new Minelab Pro-Find. I have heard April is the release date.