Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minelab pinpointer rumor

Re: Minelab pinpointer rumor

This is an interesting discussion.

I have always wondered why people make a big deal about the weight of the SunRay. I swing an E-Trac (heavy machine) with a Sun-Ray probe and even when I have gone for several weeks without detecting I can still swing the machine for 8+ hours without feeling a thing. And I am not a man; I am a woman weighing at (as of this morning) 129 pounds and 5'7.... I do work out with light weights 3x a week and cardiovascular 5x a week. Although I weighed more a couple of years ago and was not in as great of shape, I still didn't have problem with the weight or balance. I'm 47 years old.

I think it is apples and oranges. Some people just simply prefer a handheld. I used one for two years before trying the Sun Ray and then never looked back. When I dig a 10 hole I would never be without the Sun Ray.

As for depth with a handheld, I think 1 is probably enough because it's really about pushing it around in the dirt you have excavated or else the dirt in the hole. With a Sun Ray, I use it to decide (as midas stated) whether what I am looking for is still in the hole, and if so, where. Given that, the 3-4 inches the Sun Ray gives is needed.

Just my two cents.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I think much too much is made of the weight of the E-Trac, mine has the Sunray on it and I can swing it for quite awhile without noticing it's weight I do have some arthritis issues and am not a youngster but I find you get a rest because you are digging more good targets lol. The only time I notice the difference in weight is when I pick up my wife's E-Trac that does not have the Sunray and I can tell a difference. I use both the Pro Pointer and Sunray when I open the hole the first thing I grab is the Pro Pointer and try to quickly locate the target and then I use the Sunray if there seem to be more than one target in the hole.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I'll probably get one of the Minelabs if the reports are good and it is more sensitive than the Garrett.
    I own a DX-1, XL-1, vibra probe 460, classic target probe (oldie but goodie), Garrett Pro Pointer and Detector Pro Pistol Probe.
    For the Pro Pointer I often do the same trick as Jack, though the ring on my index finger is a sterling band. It nearly doubles the distance it picks up a coin. The Pistol Probe is hands down the deepest, more than double the Garrett. I dressed it up with reflecting & blaze orange tape so it's not mistaken for a gun. The momentary button that you depress could have been made larger. All this said my DX-1 is gathering dust for the reasons Jack stated. I usually use the Garrett with my V3i because I can pinpoint well with the V. I prefer the Pistol Probe if I'm using my Sovereign GT on land because I'm not bad but not as precise in pinpointing with the Minelab. Often I use the Pistol Probe before I make a cut or plug. Just by placing the tip on the ground to get an idea if the target is <5 inches and exactly where the target is...or to tell if more than one target is close by.
    Ever since I scratched my first Barber half with a brass probe over 20 years ago I started relying on electronic probes. I should mention I tested a bullseye 2 and was underwhelmed, just disappointing. The best choice IMO is getting the Garrett at discount, under $120. I paid far less for a new one but it was part of a larger purchase.
    Well that's my 2 coppers plus piece of eight worth of input.
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

Great discussion! It seems that (newer) pinpointers are getting some good depth. . . WOW! I might just to use my Garrett Pro Pointer as a back up detector by tying it to a stick just to get surface clad, what do you think?

TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

I am Starting to see adds at various online Metal Detecting stores. Looks like the going price is going to be $169.00. Should be a great pin pointer, but that high price will kill it's sales. It needs to be about $30.00 less to compete with the Pro-Pointer. Let's hope that this is an unrealistic retail price, and Dealers will sell it for less.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

i was told (by a reliable source ) that the Minelab pinpointer is basically the exact same as a Garret pro pointer in almost every way and it will be very hard to compete with Garret when their charging about $25 to $35 more dollars for the same thing. for the extra price it should be water proof and not water resistant .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Not the exact same thing...

• [li]Adjustable sensitivity (no more nickle trick)[/li]
      [li]Two mode operation-audio and vibrate or vibrate only[/li]
      [li]Auto power off[/li]

Definitely needs to be priced the same to make it worth the investment though.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Well, it's April and it should be coming out in the next few weeks.

My Pro Pointer is on the outs so I'm excited to see how the Minelab pinpointer turns out (before purchasing one).

I just checked ebay they have them and they ship out on July 30. The price is 169.00. To rich for my blood ,I'd rather get a new coil for that price. Good luck to anyone that gets one .
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143