Thread: Vaquero Tones

Vaquero Tones

Does anyone here have a short summary of how certain targets e.g., U.S. coins, rings (silver & gold); junk items e.g., bottlecaps, ringtop and pulltabs, alum. slaw, bottlecaps, etc. sound thru the Vaquero? Do you use a cheat sheet that you carry on you when you hunt?

I have dug my share coins and probably dug twice as much junk targets too. I normaly set my disc. at just left of the NICKEL mark so that I don't miss anything.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

Re: Vaquero Tones

A difficult request you are making as you are dealing with slight fluctuations of a single tone .
    The obvious ones are signal lenght determining wether the object is coin size or not and crackling as in foil . Some target tones end more abruptly than others and that can be a clue.
    Some get quite good at recognizing these subtle clues and also add a bit of button twisting to see where the drop off point of the discrimination is . You will have to go over a lot of targets to acquire an ear that will be able to pick up the differences and you will have to be in a place with a consistency of good targets to learn what you are listening for . AS far as someone very adept at these tonal subleties passing this info to you in a brief descripition,that would be next to impossible unless you had a splitter where you could both be plugged into the same detector hearing the same sounds .
    Most people who use the beep and dig detectors ( which is the category the Vacquero falls in )
    hear the beep and pretty much dig all .
    If you like the lightness of the Vacquero and want some tones and a notch at the cost of a bit less depth than the Vacquero you may look into a Tesoro Golden uMax .
    You may also want to look into a White's M6 .

Sheik Yerbooty,

Thanks for explaining. It's gonna take a trained ear to hear all differences (sublty) of tones of good/bad targets. Yes I too dig all, but I bring up the disc. to and just left of nickel so I don't miss them. I like the M6 and a friend let use his for half a day and really like all the tones it gives.

Thanks,

TC-NM thumbsup01
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

One thing that might help is when you turn the discrimination knob to discriminate out a target, listen to the target when you discriminate back in. If the target sounds choppy or scratchy, there is a high percentage chance of trash. Even gold rings will come back clear unless broken. The catch is so will some aluminum slaw and tabs. There is no short cuts when it comes to gold jewelry. Look at some of the popular coin TID machines that can really nail those old and silver coins, but where's the gold? Been there done that! HH