Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Detech Ultimate 13 Coil For Etrac ***Update***

New Detech Ultimate 13 Coil For Etrac ***Update***

Well, I went ahead and and ordered one of these. I just couldn't resist. Early reports are good, and it looks like it handles EMI much better than the stock coil. I am Looking forward to the extra depth as well. I guess twelve inch deep holes are just not cutting it for me anymore. lol I am still froze down , but it looks like it will take 3 weeks to get here, so no worry. Here is the information from the product page...

COMPARED WITH THE CLASSIC DD COILS IT HAS THE FOLLOWING ADVANTAGES:

- RIBBED HOUSING, SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR ABSORBING THE MECHANICAL SHOCKS AND VIBRATIONS, MADE OF SPECIAL POLYMER, STRENGTHENED WITH GLASS FIBBERS, INJECTION MOLDED WITH A VERY HIGH PRESSURE, WITH MAXIMUM UV PROTECTION.

- MORE STABLE OPERATION.

- BETTER SENSITIVITY.

- MORE ACCURATE TARGET IDENTIFICATION.

- MORE STABLE GROUND AND BETTER OVERALL FIELD PERFORMANCE.

THE COIL KEEPS ITS PERFECT INDUCTIVE BALANCE IN A VERY WIDE TEMPERATURE RANGE.

THE COIL COMES STANDARDLY WITH COIL COVER, WITH A SYSTEM FOR SECURE DOING-UP. THE COIL COVER'S WEIGHT IS ONLY 50 g.

THIS COIL IS LIGHT FOR ITS SIZE. IT WEIGHS APPROXIMATELY 480 g.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Veteran Member

Re: New Detech Ultimate 13 Coil For Etrac

Can't wait to hear what you unearth with that coil Jack :-> I'd like to get an aftermarket coil for the E-Trac this year (been eyeing the 12x15 SEF, but maybe this one is better? ).

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

awesome looking coil Jack like you I too can't wait for the snow to go away, I have been doing some research into a site near you dated back to the mid 1800's hopefully I will be able to access it LOL in the meantime I am studying the advanced manual all over again for my v3i, hope we can hook up some more this spring to try that bad boy out LOL.
    sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=8921.msg100578#msg100578 date=1329321284

I am still froze down , but it looks like it will take 3 weeks to get here, so no worry.
    Well.... You could just forward it right to me and I could give it a test ride for ya
    Cuz I've been thinkin' about a different, bigger, aftermarket coil as well for this season. thumbsup01
    Like I said when Jeff posted this coil, this might be the one.
    Whata ya say Jack? :->
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

This thread was actually inspired by Jeff's post which you can find here Thanks Jeff!

I wanted to make this an E-Trac specific thread. In hopes of getting feedback and reviews about performance on the Silver Slayer itself. I believe EMS(Earthmansurfer) already has this coil in his possession. You out there buddy? What can you tell us about this bad boy?

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Ordered one today, delivery estimate between 3-5 & 3-21.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=8921.msg100752#msg100752 date=1329432817
    High five Bro!

Hey Tim, Randy, When you getting yours

I love peer pressure. lol

I've had the coil for a few weeks now and have only been able to test in the house due to the weather. With a NC done (channel 9) and sensitivity on manual 30 in discriminate with a fairly open screen (The Beat Goes ON's screen for the most part).

The EMI wasn't too bad. Numbers with fairly repeatable (dig-able) VID's and sound.
    Coin********Stock*******13 Detch******12X13 NEL
    .05*********10.5*******12***********11.5
    .10*********10*********11.5*********11
    .25*********11*********12.5*********12

The Stock coil was the noisiest at rest with the jumpiest VID but still acceptable.
    The 13 Detech was the quietest and had the least jump VID followed fairly closely by the 12X13 NEL

When I tested the stock and 12X13NEL in the field a month ago (no EMI) I got these results:
    Coin********Stock****12X13 NEL
    .05*********12.5****13.5
    .10*********12******13.5
    .25*********13.5*****15.5

What I am really interesting in is how its separation is. When I was comparing deeper coin hits on the stock vs the 12X13 NEL it was VERY CLEAR that the NEL didn't have near the separation. I am hoping the 13 Detech is better, it sure is lighter.

Here is the weight breakdown of the stock, 13 Detech and 12X13 NEL respectively all weighed on an accurate kitchen scale:

800g 850g 1100g

The weight alone means I will be using the 13 Detech as I can say from hours of experience that the 12X13 NEL is noticeably heavier in the field.

Hopefully I can test the 13 Detech in the Field over the next few weeks as things are warming up,
    Albert

Thanks for the feedback Albert! Your observations are very thorough as usual. The EMI handling ability with increased sensitivity looks really great. I hope the ground penetration in the field follows suit. I have a 5 year old coin garden in my yard that is in very high EMI setting. That's the first place I'm headed when my coil arrives. I am amazed at the weight, or lack there of. That's only a 1.8 ounces between the stock coil, and the Detech 13 coil. Interesting notes on the separation issue with the NEL coil. Let's hope DU13 coil is better in this regard.

Thanks for the report. The only thing is the details on the Ultimate coil states that it weighs 480 grams plus the cover is 50 grams for a total of 530g. I also thought the Pro coil was around 525 grams. Is there something I'm missing because your weights are 800g and 850g.

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I think those lighter weights do not include the cable and connector.

That makes sense, thanks Jack.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=8921.msg100769#msg100769 date=1329442371

Gotta go out and dig a ton of clad so I can afford it lol Actually, I'm kinda waiting for you guys to be the guinea pigs Will be watching the thread closely :->
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=8921.msg100752#msg100752 date=1329432817
    Wow! Thats quite a spread lol

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=8921.msg100769#msg100769 date=1329442371
    Huh? I thought my good buddy Jack was going to lend me his..... ..... since he isn't going to be able to use it for a while

I love peer pressure. lol
    Me too! :-> lol

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=8921.msg100828#msg100828 date=1329488446
    Actually, I'm kinda waiting for you guys to be the guinea pigs
    ...... ....... thumbsup01 lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I got notice that my coil was shipped yesterday at noon central. Now I wonder how long the international shipping will take. Originally the description stated an expected delivery between 3-5. & 3-21. It's hard to believe it would take that long to arrive.

Customs can be a pain in the butt. Mine was shipped the 16th. You can track it's progress around the world by using the CODE# on your email at this web site (IPS) http://www.bgpost.bg/?cid=176

I have not been this excited since I was a kid, and would send cereal box tops off for toys. lol

The ground is starting to thaw here, and I have crocus, and tulips breaking the surface next to the house. It won't be to long now. |

I double checked the weights and Jack is right about the cable and such.

The weights given by the manufacturer were without the cable. But still the 13 Detech is just behind the stock coil in weight and much lighter than the 12X13 NEL. I have hunted with both now, 13 Detech for 3 hours and the NEL for more, and can say the 13 Detech is noticeably lighter. I imagine they are close in separation, but will have to test this in the field.

Regarding hunting in iron, the 13 Detech definitely falses more on iron than the stock coil. I video'd this yesterday on a deep piece of rounded iron and it fooled the Detech more than the stock. I experienced this on 3 or so targets. This is to be expected just based on coil size. The 6X8SEF is much better than the stock in like fashion. In fairness the ground was saturated with water and iron mineralized some, so it was tough hunting. When things warm up (ground still frozen and I only hunted by some bushes where the ground wasn't AS frozen) I'll hunt more with it.

I will say this, don't expect miracles in trash from the 13 Detech. Yes, it separates well but I was having a hard time pinpointing with it (just like the NEL) and it picks up all targets in the ground, so this coil is NOT meant for trashy ground. It will work some, but make for a difficult going. If your ground has a lot of targets this is NOT a replacement for the stock coil, that was clear to me. But if the ground is not too bad the weight of the coil is a pleasure when compared to the 12X13 NEL. That said, my back is a little sore today from swinging the E-Trac for 3 hours. (But that is on Minelab )

I do look forward to using this coil in the spot I've been hunting, just not in the trashiest spots. I have to say, the stock coil is the perfect comprise. You cover more ground than the 6X8SEF and the separation is better than the larger coils. For you guys who hunt with only one or two pieces of iron per swing (or whatever you consider to be medium level or so) and/or not too much trash, I think this 13 Detech will be sweet for you. I look forward to others reports as things warm up. I really see this coil being a go to coil in hunted out parks where a lot of the trash has been removed.

Well, I'm not going to attempt hunting again anytime soon as the ground was just mostly solid.
    Hope this was a bit helpful,
    Albert

Anyway, I have to learn Imovie, so edited the video from yesterday down to 4 minutes. I really would like to hear your opinons on the 13 Detech Vs Stock on this target. I also compared Discriminate to TTF (So, I didn't put discriminate in an open Quick Mask screen, but will next time.)

What is also interesting about this iron target is that it was showing itself as two targets roughly 12 or so apart. The coin I had dug before was the same (with both coils.)

Thanks,
    Albert

13 Inch Detech vs Stock on Deeper Iron - Cond & TTF

I received My new Detech Ultimate 13 coil today. happydance02 ...

I strapped it on and headed out to the front Yard to the Coin garden. This coin garden is 5 years old and has a very high EMI issue.

First observation:

*** With the factory coil I can run at 19 and maintain stability. I can just barely get a blip from a Wheat buried at 10 inches.

*** With the new Ultimate 13 coil I can maintain stability at 21, and the 10 inch wheat just sings out with a solid hit.

Second observation:

The hits are more accurately represented without the jumpiness and exaggerated VDI responses. This was noticeable right away, especially at depth.

This was just a quick test before dinner. I will get it out in the field tomorrow, and follow up with a more detailed review.

Re: New Detech Ultimate 13 Coil For Etrac ***Update***

Nice to see you back Jack.

Here is a nice little review I found on another forum on the 13 Detech.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxt...NW01cEN1UkYxQQ

I asked the following question to the poster chefphones:
    Chef - Thanks for the review. Can you go more into the details regarding this coil on depth and in iron Vs the NEL. You just said it's better but really didn't give examples or the like.
    And here was his reply:
    I have had two Nel coils, sadly both became faulty due to loose wiring at the coil, but I was impressed with them, though I did dig more iron than I was used too, also coke reared it's ugly head once or twice which is unknown on the Explorer range.
    This I believed was a fare trade off for the extra sensitivity. However Detech seem to have given all the sensitivity but have managed to hold on to it's stability in id'ing targets. The 13 inches does mean that this is not a coil for heavy iron contamination as it's taking too many targets in its footprint. It performs better than the Nel (imho) in that it can separate targets better i.e. when going over a low conductive target which has iron below it, you can tell by the tone that it's not just iron. One area other than depth where I have seen an improvement is in digging coins that are at an angle and would normally give either a iffy or no signal.
    The depth increase as I have said in the field test is more noticeable on the higher conductive targets and 14 is not unusual at all for a 25mm diameter milled coin, This however is quite frustrating because many of the more sort after old UK coins are in the Low conductive range, so you just find out how deep they probably are and will never get them. Ignorance is bliss in some situations lol.