Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diggers

Diggers

Metal detecting show starts tommorow on National Geographic channel at 10;00 pm.....
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Re: Diggers

I probably won't get the channel >{
    But I'll definatly take a look and make sure! thumbsup01 Thanks for the heads up Rick |)
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

COOL! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe i can learn something new. I think a weekly show about detecting would be neat! It couldn't be worse than watching inept gold miners fight about stupid things. rofl
    More people get interested and i got more people to bid on my used equipment.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

It's on !!! looks like a fun show

Youse guys from Conneticut should contact them for a show.. I would love to be there too ! happydance02

American Detectorist------ East Coast :->

I had to work crying01
    But a buddy recorded it on his DVR for me thumbsup01...... :->
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I don't think it was a very good presentation of our hobby. They were digging holes like badgers, flicking dirt everywhere. No plugs, no explanation of how to properly dig, etc. Used terms like juice, toke, civ, cologn, roundness It was just crazy! Then they appraised their finds way too high. i.e. civil war bullet, $35. Fired 30.06 shell, $1.00.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I watched it last night and at first thought it was too goofy. Then I thought we were all a little bit crazy, especially when we find great stuff. It quickly grew on me. I now can't wait til the next one. I won't spoil it for those that haven't watched it yet.

On a side note:

When researching the show, I found a ton of links with people complaining and even petitioning the the show. Most were archeologists... 8/

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=9058.msg102285#msg102285 date=1330525206
    I don't think it was a very good presentation of our hobby. They were digging holes like badgers, flicking dirt everywhere. No plugs, no explanation of how to properly dig, etc. Used terms like juice, toke, civ, cologn, roundness It was just crazy! Then they appraised their finds way too high. i.e. civil war bullet, $35. Fired 30.06 shell, $1.00.
    I would have to agree Daddy. Come to think of it, they didn't dig any nice holes. I would say that it would be nice if they talked about the ethics of our hobby so others won't judge us based on what they do. I just liked watching another MD show.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=9058.msg102285#msg102285 date=1330525206

Amen to that Brother .

A lot of thier finds were way overpriced. I think in time they will show how to dig a plug though....No newbie wants a boring first show, And i think that was thier target audience... time will tell...

Newbies are exactly the people who need to learn how to dig a plug, boring or not.

Not to mention that it would be nice if the general public were not led to believe that detectorists dig those kind of holes. Because if that impression becomes widespread we can start crossing public parks as well as many private properties off our list, as they will suddenly become off-limits to detectorists.

HERE is another thread discussing this show.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Ya but, if they took a whole show, to show how to dig a plug, Most wouldn't have watched the second show.. Digging a nice plug is kinda an art..Ya can't learn it from 18 minutes of air time.. Ground conditions and all. But in order to keep the hate mail to a minimum, they will show proper technique soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102354#msg102354 date=1330558883
    Ya but, if they took a whole show, to show how to dig a plug, Most wouldn't have watched the second show.. Digging a nice plug is kinda an art..Ya can't learn it from 18 minutes of air time.. Ground conditions and all. But in order to keep the hate mail to a minimum, they will show proper technique soon..
    Oh come on. First of all, digging a plug didn't take me 18 minutes of illustration to figure out. Think common sense and responsibility, with the intent of not wanting to damage ground. It's a no brainer. Learning how to dig a plug should be as simple as having enough common sense to avoid damaging ground, and experimenting for five minutes in the field on how best to do that.

I would hope most people have common sense, although perhaps I am just not acquainted with reality. The ones who don't get it are the people whose holes I fill every single time I go detecting. You can't fix stupid.

Not the point, though. I didn't say they should illustrate how to dig a plug. I just said they should NOT illustrate terrible technique and how NOT to dig a hole... among other things. That is what gives metal detecting a bad rap. Do you not see that?

Seriously, do you think they are going to get an 'ah ha!' moment and suddenly air an instructional episode on plug-digging anytime soon? Even if they do it to keep the hate mail to a minimum, that's like closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped.

Certainly these people producing this show are not stupid enough that they don't know what kind of reaction to expect from people who actually take this hobby seriously. It's just like any extreme reality show out there... they don't care what is right, they just want to profit from extreme reactions, no matter what those reactions are.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

will check it out,thank you.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Wow........

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102383#msg102383 date=1330566044
    Wow........
    I know, right? lol

My points weren't specifically directed at you Greg, but at people in general who think this is not going to damage the hobby. I live in the South where things are very conservative and the public opinion is quite different from where I was born and raised (Midwest) and from the Northeast. This is a very conservative area and I would image it just gets more so as one travels further south. It would not take much to completely reverse any progress that has been made in the last couple of decades in these areas.

Many people have stated how detectorists who didn't fill in their holes led to cities and even entire counties of parks becoming off-limits for detecting. In the case of Iowa, where I lived all my life until the past 5 years, a state-wide restriction was enacted on all Iowa state parks because of one complaint.

Now we are talking about the same thing, only on a nationally broadcasted level to people who don't understand metal detecting in general and have never been introduced to it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression... and this show will make a widespread first impression, mark my words. We are already fighting a difficult battle; this just makes it harder.

It's just my two wheaties, so keep that in mind. Just an expression of my own opinion.

I stumbled onto the show by accident and enjoyed it. The first one was shot out west at an old prison and family ranch. Digging a sloppy hole among cow pies while a bull is staring you down might be excused and explainable. The second show was in coastal South Carolina on the beach and an old plantation. The sloppiness exhibited at the old plantation was discouraging. They had some interesting finds, but at the end i had an uneasy feeling that some damage to the hobby was done. Thanks guys.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I was excited that we finally had a show airing about our hobby. I thought maybe it would be a little more professional than their DVDs but it wasnt. I was disappointed with the show as a whole. The digging was sloppy at best and it was fuel for any archeologist that dislikes our hobby. The other thing I did not like was the sale of finds at the end where they showed the cash being exchanged for some of there finds. I do not disagree with selling finds but it just made it look like it was about the money. 2 from me.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber