Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diggers

Re: Diggers

Ya can tell the conditions at the old estate were very dry.. Tough to dig a plug in that stuff
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

I might be wrong but, i think the american public is smart enough to realise that some of these shows on tv are highly exagerated and contrived,i'm not gonna worry about it anytime soon.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER link=topic=9058.msg103140#msg103140 date=1331177258
    I might be wrong but, i think the american public is smart enough to realise that some of these shows on tv are highly exagerated and contrived,i'm not gonna worry about it anytime soon.
    Let's hope so... either way this show has brought more attention to our hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by MinelabIowa link=topic=9027.msg102679#msg102679 date=1330780507
    After viewing the first two episodes of Diggers, Iowa's State archaeologist John Doershuk posted a review to the American Cultural Resources Association listserv, in which he lamented: The most damaging thing, I think, about this show is that no effort was made to document where anything came from or discussion of associations—each discovered item was handled piece-meal.

It was ironic that they [the show's on-air diggers] are destroying the entire basis of what they're interested in, Doershuk told Science Insider by phone. These are non-renewable sources. There's only so many of them from these time periods.

The archaeological community is trying to make its views known. In addition to Facebook petitions, professional societies such as SAA have sent letters of condemnation to Spike TV and National Geographic. (Copies of the SAA letters are on its Web site.) Limp said Tuesday on the SAA listserv that Spike TV had not yet responded to its concerns. He wrote that National Geographic indicated that it would place a disclaimer into its show that affirms there are laws in place protecting archaeological and historic sites.

Despite the treasure-hunting theme of both shows, neither appears to be violating federal and state regulations against unlawful obtainment of antiquities. The on-air fortune seekers are not venturing into National Parks or other federal lands, but dig on private property. If property owners sign off, then it is legal--landowners can do whatever they choose with artifacts found on their land. That's the argument Shana Tepper, spokesperson for Spike TV, made to ScienceInsider. &quotur show is shot on private property, she said. They're getting artifacts that are otherwise rotting in the ground.

But archaeologists remain concerned. These programs encourage looting, University of Colorado, Boulder, archaeologist Steve Lekson wrote in an e-mail to ScienceInsider. National Geographic's imprimatur also rankles some. Its reputation as a credible scientific and educational institution effectively normalizes the looting aspect of its show, says Washington State University archaeologist William Lipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102993#msg102993 date=1331057998
    Ya can tell the conditions at the old estate were very dry.. Tough to dig a plug in that stuff
    It did look kinda dry. But that was a far cry from any true attempt at cutting a plug.
    It was more like stab and flip, stab and flip 8/ Good luck getting all that dirt back in the hole.
    Not to mention, how do you replace a plug that's in 3,4,5, or 6 pieces?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Well doing a show or not if the condition of the ground is that dry then they shouldn't have been detecting a well manicured lawn, the last couple years here in Indiana I've had some real nice yards to detect that I didn't get to do yet because of being so dry in the summer and fall. Some of the owners said they didn't care about the lawns but I told them I did and would get back to them latter, a little respect for others property goes along way and that kind of respect will be probably be shared with neighbors and others in the community. HH
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two link=topic=9058.msg102815#msg102815 date=1330908909
    Chicago Ron said

I would love to do a show on detecting, I believe I have a contagious passion for the hobby.
    But I will not represent it poorly, not for any price!

Thanks
    Chicago Ron
    Ron Guinazzo

Now that is a show I will watch! I do not know Ron personally but only through his videos and website, even without overtly stating it his passion and love of metal detecting shine through. Thanks Ron!!
    Now where is that crossed-fingers smiley??

I still haven't seen the show, but after reading this thread I'm pretty convinced that we need a better representation... :-\
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=9058.msg103403#msg103403 date=1331341245
    Now where is that crossed-fingers smiley??

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I watched both episodes and did think they were a little goofy, the show was entertaining and thats what its all about. I plan on watching the rest of the episodes, it sure beats alot of those other reality shows out there.

I think Toady liked it cuz the one guy wore a dress LOL. rofl Dresses are cool rick (on a forum not on TV) rofl .
    (for new people here) Toad lost a bet once (maybe twice) and had to post a pic on one forum wearing a dress,,,Oh BTW Toad has nice legs rofl )
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

Lol!! I had to do it again this past super bowl ! Black mini skirt..

Elite Member

I think the point is......you don't have to do an expose on how to dig a hole the right way....just do it, and be respectful of the people and place where you got permission.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg104030#msg104030 date=1331686496
    Lol!! I had to do it again this past super bowl ! Black mini skirt..
    Ya Nut rofl
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

Yikes.. just saw the ads for the new show......... crying01

I have pasted a link.

http://www.anacondatreasure.com/ethics.html

Even though this link says a lot, how many people will go thru the effort to find this.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album