Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diggers

Re: Diggers

Epi-Hunter, I could not agree with you more! Bad news goes' round the world, while good news is still getting it's pants on in the morning. Don't think for one minute that the anti's won't use this as a tool to bring are hobby to an end. I don't care if the guy's were digging holes in their back yards on THEIR own property, it is the perception that veiwers are left with.
    Rick, I have seen you dig, and your holes are immaculate. Just because you do the right thing, don't think that someone else can't spoil it for you. Even, if I am at the beach, and know the tide will wash away any signs of digging, I still pamper the ground to erase my holes. It is just the right thing to do. Every one of us is an ambassador to the hobby, and all others will be judged by the lowest common denominator.
    Are we making a big deal out of nothing, I don't think so. I am also a hunter and I see the way anti hunters use things like this to try stop hunting. Goebbels used to say if you repeat a lie often enough it will become truth and The more outrageous the lie the quicker. All we need is for it to become believed that metal detecterists are bad. It does't matter how they come to that conclusion, it is hard to undo an opinion once made.
    I don't know anything about these guys, and would hope to think they are good to the hobby. If one person comes away with a negative impression, they are now doing an injustice to the hobby. You would think that they would know this, and go over the top to try and explain how and why we dig the proper way.
    Epi-hunter, just like you, I have come across poorly dug holes. some of which in highly visible public areas. It makes me cringe. I want to leave then and there, as to not get blamed for it. Last year I had a woman come up to me and ask what I was doing. She told me I was wrong and bad for doing it. I asked her why...she couldn't tell me. She just thought it was bad. Can you imagine her reaction if I had left poorly dug holes?
    HH, Dan

I did watch both episodes of diggers. I too was disturbed by there apparent lack of pointing out the proper way of doing things and would like to have seen more focus on the history and less on the value. It was entertaining in a monty python way. Too silly

I just did a show with National Geographic channel, this program was designed by Nat Geo not some other production company. It was very profesional and focused on the historical value if the finds. I do show some of my better finds coins and jewlery.
    The show is called Treasure on the Thames, Lucky Muckers and aires on Nat Geo channel on March 20th at m Eastern. I work with the Mudlarks on the river Thames in London. Down and Dirty!

I am in negotiations with several channels for a show, I am not sure of the format of the show yet. I do know it won't be like diggers.

Here is a copy of my responce through my agent to a production company that wants me for a show.

I really appreciate your in depth reply.
    I am aware of the necessary steps and the necessity
    of doing a demo for a network.
    ... I also believe that you have made your point that
    Ron is highly regarded among treasure hunters
    with a lot of appeal for a show.
    Ron does have some concerns, as to the overall concept
    of the show. He has an excellent reputation
    in the rather tight knit treasure hunting community for several reasons.
    He respects the environment, rather than disrupts it for personal gain.
    He values the historical significance of many of his finds, with several
    of the found items having been donated to museums. He also attempts
    to return valuable items that are found to the rightful owner.
    He does not care for the way treasure hunters are portrayed, for instance,
    on Nat Geo's Diggers, as the hunters on the show do not
    portray taking reasonable care while digging. It is such actions
    that have the ability to hurt the hobby, as well as the environment.
    Is the show going to be hunter against hunter for the most valuable find?
    Ron is interested in a show that would put treasure hunting in the best light.
    That is one of the reasons why he also has a high quality treasure hunting
    equipment company sponsoring him, and giving him high tech equipment
    both to use personally, and to award to others at sponsored events.
    Since this would be an important step for Ron, I would appreciate you
    perhaps being able to elaborate a bit further on the concept for the show.
    Thank you so much.

I would love to do a show on detecting, I believe I have a contagious passion for the hobby.
    But I will not represent it poorly, not for any price!

Thanks
    Chicago Ron
    Ron Guinazzo

i have seen your videos and enjoyed all of them i like the ones on the beach the best would like to learn that myself dennis

I just watched the two episodes of Diggers and I must say it exceeded my expectations...it was worse than I thought it could be. Now I hope we all have fun while we detect, I know I do but to have our hobby represented by a couple of guys who humor is slightly less than a fart joke makes me shudder. I understand it is all a put on, exaggerations for effect. Just like so many of these reality shows they have nothing to do with the truth. We all saw their techniques and heard all the cute and cloying nicknames for their finds enough to make anyone with a modicum of experience feel a bit queasy. Have you noticed everything has to be a contest now, cooking shows, storage wars, clothes designing, and even the Trump saying Your Fired. The real gist of so many of these shows is that anyone watches can say At least I'm not that stupid! Now I don't think that this show will have a real negative impact on the hobby, I don't think it will last and I don't think it will be watched by many people. It is just the attitude that everything has to be juiced up to use their vernacular makes me understand the wisdom of the iconoclastic newspaper man H. L. Mencken when he said No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. Now this is another of my avocations that is getting trashed by entertainment media, as a Master level Chessplayer I always paid attention to how Chess and Chessplayers are portrayed in the media, generally it was two ways either as some brainy champion, who was playing absurd moves with the pieces incorrectly set up, or as some nerdish twit who seems social inept and barely above a hyena in manners. I do not know which is worse being portrayed in such a manner or as in this Diggers show as buffoons.

I am not casting aspersions on the detectorist, I am sure they are being paid a goodly sum to play their japeish roles no more or no less than any other actor. Andy Warhol may have been quite right that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame, I sincerly hope that is all that is coming for this show.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

bummer I don't get that chanel.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

JT you didn't miss much.The general public will get the opinion (from watching that show) the we are a bunch of idiots.$1.00 ea for 30-06 Blank rounds? gimmie a break. Bad show.Bad example of our hobby. Shame Shame Nat Geo Channel ! I thought they had better taste than that....
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

Chicago Ron said

I would love to do a show on detecting, I believe I have a contagious passion for the hobby.
    But I will not represent it poorly, not for any price!

Thanks
    Chicago Ron
    Ron Guinazzo

Now that is a show I will watch! I do not know Ron personally but only through his videos and website, even without overtly stating it his passion and love of metal detecting shine through. Thanks Ron!!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!

I love to have a BLAST while detecting ! The funner the better ! My buddy Scott and I rank on each others 'family' members, we punch each other, Push each other over when one has just dug a way cool find, Heck, we even have a song for the great hits that turn out to be crap.. I hanker for a hunka... happydance02 I've seen him fall in a swolen almost frozen river, AND keep DETECTING ! .. I started this hobby for the thrill of finding old stuff..Then I started learning the history of this cool stuff, and got addicted.. Then i met Scott.. never met the dude, and met him on another M.D site, we went out in my boat to a small island, Before I left, I told my wife about what i knew about this guy before i ended up M,I,A from some PSYCHO.. ! Today, getting out, with anyone i've met on forums, is just the same killer fun ! Finding the goods everytime is awesome, but sometimes, it's just getting out with a friend that counts.. rain, shine, snow, sleet, none of it matters, we've been out in below zero, with a wind off the water, that just chills you to the bone, heck, my brand new truck couldn't take all the ice blowing in off the pond, and stalled out a mile down the road,, It was still a GREAT day ! Scott got an indian, and I got a wheat.. I don't recall what Bowser got that day.. it was freezing, and I don't think he made the whole hunt, Close though..I've watched both shows three times, and besides the 'calling' of items, and BAD 'acting' if you will.. I would hunt with them dudes ANYTIME ! I also looked at thier plugs, yes three times, and for the places they were at, and what we see of thier plugs ...after.. they dig, with 10 years exp behind them both.. They wouldn't leave divots.. I mean, how, or why would they, ? Dan posted earlier, that my plugs were great, The day I was with him at the 'horse place' I was ashamed of my plugs, But didn't want to stop digging.. The ground was very very dry, and a good plug was not in the cards, the next day, I hit a schoolyard, and never dug again where people could see my summer digging mistakes..Ive hit parks, and have seen these little brown spots everywhere.. at the beginning, I didn't know what they were, but when i realized, I never went back, didn't want to be blamed.., Keep it fun kids !! Otherwise, it's like a job...
    J.M.H.O......

Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102840#msg102840 date=1330919162
    I love to have a BLAST while detecting ! The funner the better ! My buddy Scott and I rank on each others 'family' members, we punch each other, Push each other over when one has just dug a way cool find, Heck, we even have a song for the great hits that turn out to be crap.. I hanker for a hunka... happydance02 I've seen him fall in a swolen almost frozen river, AND keep DETECTING ! .. I started this hobby for the thrill of finding old stuff..Then I started learning the history of this cool stuff, and got addicted.. Then i met Scott.. never met the dude, and met him on another M.D site, we went out in my boat to a small island, Before I left, I told my wife about what i knew about this guy before i ended up M,I,A from some PSYCHO.. ! Today, getting out, with anyone i've met on forums, is just the same killer fun ! Finding the goods everytime is awesome, but sometimes, it's just getting out with a friend that counts.. rain, shine, snow, sleet, none of it matters, we've been out in below zero, with a wind off the water, that just chills you to the bone, heck, my brand new truck couldn't take all the ice blowing in off the pond, and stalled out a mile down the road,, It was still a GREAT day ! Scott got an indian, and I got a wheat.. I don't recall what Bowser got that day.. it was freezing, and I don't think he made the whole hunt, Close though..I've watched both shows three times, and besides the 'calling' of items, and BAD 'acting' if you will.. I would hunt with them dudes ANYTIME ! I also looked at thier plugs, yes three times, and for the places they were at, and what we see of thier plugs ...after.. they dig, with 10 years exp behind them both.. They wouldn't leave divots.. I mean, how, or why would they, ? Dan posted earlier, that my plugs were great, The day I was with him at the 'horse place' I was ashamed of my plugs, But didn't want to stop digging.. The ground was very very dry, and a good plug was not in the cards, the next day, I hit a schoolyard, and never dug again where people could see my summer digging mistakes..Ive hit parks, and have seen these little brown spots everywhere.. at the beginning, I didn't know what they were, but when i realized, I never went back, didn't want to be blamed.., Keep it fun kids !! Otherwise, it's like a job...
    J.M.H.O......
    What does any of this have to do with anything related to the topic at hand?

You are welcome to make a fun time of detecting among yourself and your buddies as much as you want. The issue here is the public display of such, in terms of disrespect and misunderstanding, in the forum of nationally televised deliverance, and the impact that has. How difficult is that to understand?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=9058.msg102258#msg102258 date=1330495179
    I had to work crying01
    But a buddy recorded it on his DVR for me thumbsup01...... :->
    Well I finally got a chance to see the show....
    Everything that's been stated here is spot on! Having a little foresight from the forum before viewing it just confirmed my worst fears. \:[ These guys have got to be the worst.......well, close to, the worst possible candidates that could've been chosen to represent our hobby. I've hunted with lots of detectorists and not one of them ever was running around yelling like a little kid shouting out incorrect identifications of objects found..I got JUICE! I got roundness!I got Civ I got Cologne \ Except the time my three year old niece told her mom she found a quarter when she watched me dig up a dime. lol I personally can't wait to see what Ron Chicago Ron's show will be like. :-> With the way he portrays himself and the hobby on his YouTube videos, it can only go from great to outstanding. I haven't seen or heard anything about American Diggers yet though :-\
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Guess i'm totally wrong.. make sure you don't have any fun..keep it real

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=9058.msg102843#msg102843 date=1330921570
    I haven't seen or heard anything about American Diggers yet though :-\
    I did a little search. It will air on March 21st on SpikeTV.
    http://www.spike.com/shows/american-digger
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102844#msg102844 date=1330922582
    It has NOTHING to do with individually having fun. It has everything to do with our being able to continue to do so as a hobby. It's bigger than just you or someone else having fun. It is about our continuing ability to have fun!!!

Some people will never get the bigger picture. That's fine. It takes all kinds.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=9058.msg102844#msg102844 date=1330922582
    I am not against fun, gosh if you have ever seen any of my videos you know we have fun, but as you said keep it real....there was no reality in that show, every incident was calculated to be kitsch...saying as much as being real can't be fun. Life is great in and of itself nothing wrong with a natural reaction. If you enjoyed that is fine. De gustibus non disputandum est

It definately takes all kinds..... <: happydance02 NO fun allowed

We don't care if you act like a fool when you're detecting. We just ask that if you see a camera crew coming towards you stop what you're doing and run home and hide!
    If the people where you live think that all detectorists are goofballs that's not as bad as if everyone in the U.S. does.

Nobody said you couldn't have fun, but if you're gonna act like a clown then you should wear the clown makeup. That way people will only ban clowns from metal detecting. And the rest of us can keep enjoying the hobby. rofl
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

LOL !!!! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I was dissapointed ,i didn't expect the show detectorists to be as silly as they were.I am a serious no nonsesence detectorist especially when i get lost in the woods for a day and end up goin home cryin and empty handed
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Finally checked it out. crying01

Although I completely agree everyone should have fun while pursuing their hobby, 'fun' is not my concern with this show.

These guys represented our hobby to the rest of the country in a very careless, reckless and irresponsible manner.
    Much what I would expect from a couple of 12 year olds having fun with a video camera and a shovel.

Sure, if this show had been labeled a sitcom... no big deal. But comedies are not what I normally expect to view from the National Geographic network.

I dread the day I knock on a door of an old property seeking permission to detect and hear the home owner say...
    Yeah, I watched that show 'Diggers' about you guys...

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzee, talking about a P______G contest! Hey! How many of you go back to a site, say two weeks after you hunted it. Say after a good rain or two. I think you would be suprised! Better carry a bag of dirt with you!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE