Thread: OK

OK

Iv'e seen a lot lately about deep deep finds.. Thinkin I may have to go with a different maker other than Whites. I love the M.X.T.. but from what i'm seeing lately, I would love some honest, positive objective, input on the machine 'you' use for deep deep items. i'll sell one of my M.X.T's if someone, or some can set me straight on real deep items.

Thanks, Rick.
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Re: OK

All hail, Yoda of silver.

What do you call real deep? And what detector was used for digging up those deep finds? Did they come in by other metals, may be a cache, nearby or did the detectorist hit the single item? What coil was used in what soil? Trashy areas and how many deep trash was dug up for that neato find? Are you willing to dig all the deep, frustrating trash for a broken wedding band?
    What type of detecting will be done? Beach hunting, too?

There are a few deep machines out in the field from Tesoro, Fisher, Minelab and Garrett. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Think some more involved &quoteep-detector owners will chime in and set you straight to a machine you wish.

All my Best to you, my friend. |

This should be interesting... :-> :->
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Waiting.............
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I hope this is not off-topic too much but I'd also be interested in hearing of the tools used to retrieve the deep targets (7 +).

Do you use a lesche and just keep scraping out the dirt?

Do you use a predator shovel and carve out an 8 plug?

Do you rent a backhoe and dig in?

Single coins. 8 + in', in non trashy areas is what i'm looking for.. thumbsup01,

hey Rick , the way the ground has been lately there no reason you can't get that with your mxt .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

iam back to using the 950 coil on the mxt and liking the depths i'm gettin.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Ive got dimes at 8 in.. most places i hunt, ya can get a reale at less than 2 in. I wanna re-visit the places that i felt i was outta range.. Jim, your right, you can get an inch or 2 with the 950.. so lets say I want to hit 10+ in.........

I can't wait to hear the responses,i'm thinkin e-trac users will chime in.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Yes, may be a e-trac will do it for you, but as a long time injured person by whites I think a Fisher F75 will do it better.

In most cases adding a detector from a different manufacturer is the key to increase the finds rate. So the advice here is a F75.

Rick, is there a dealer nearby with the wanted machines in stock? Give him a call and arrange a meeting. So you can test both (or more) machines and get the feeling for the detectors.

There is some more than tones and display. Balance and handling the machine in the field are some other points. (i won't read and reread the whole manual just to reject pull tabs in a trashy areas).
    Does the machine take rechargeables?

Take a few test objects with ya so you can test the machine on items you wanna find.

IMHO

I have been obsessed with deep finds a lot over the last couple of years. It is one of the reasons that you can still pull coins out of hard hit areas. That being said, I have learned there are more coins hiding in trashy areas. Since I started using the E-trac this has become even more obvious. The Whites V3/v3i has the ability to go very deep on a regular basis (8 to 10 inches). It does fairly well in the deep iron scenario. Initially I was very concerned about depth on the E-Trac, until I dug a Mercury Dime at over 10 inches. I think some of the key factors is in using a multi frequency machine, and understanding what that machine is trying to tell you. Hunting technique is everything.
    My 5 year old test garden tells me that the V3 responds better on depth, but the E-Trac does better with deep iron. I should mention that I am very new to the E-Trac. So this statement may change as I become more experienced with the E-Trac. I think there are other machines that can do the job, but you really need to base your choice on your hunting style. Do you like a nice display, or is the audio response more important? What type of soil do you have? How much trash in your hunting environment? These are all things that should guide you to your choice of detector. Look at it this way. You can never have to many detectors. lol Good luck with your purchase.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Toadman,

It's kinda like this analogy, you're fishing and use a small lure, you're gonna get a small fish whereas you use a larger lure, you're gonna get a large fish. The same holds true using a larger coil (+12), you're gonna go deeper and get the larger finds, relics and caches. The MXT is a great detector! |

TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

Hello: I had a Fisher that went deep. But it seams all I dug was nails. I remember one realy deep signal that I spent about 15 minutes ,[ at least it seamed that long] it was a good signal and down about 12 or 13 inches I got a nail. Its my opinon but I don't think coins go much farther than 9 to 12inches down.It would be to much work digging more than 13 to 18 inches,at least for me. I know a guy that had a lower end detector and made some incredible finds . I think taking time to get to know your detector does wonders. But on the other hand, if a nail will sink that deep, why wouldn't a coin? hmmm!

I think Jack nailed it (pardon the pun!) the real key to finding things in hunted out places is not so much in depth but in target seperation. A machine that can pick out a small good signal between the trash is the one that will increase your finds. I am familiar with the E-Trac so I can attest to it's qualities in doing that, I am sure other high end machines probably have similar capabilities too. Knowing your machine and experience are mandatory for such endeavors. Like a lot of things there is no getting around working and learning. Now deep targets are always fun to dig, I got a very nice Buffalo nickel at 9+ inches this year and I was very excited to find it as my machine was telling me it was there I just had to trust it and keep digging.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I would guessIf you wanna go deep,,,,go pulse induction. Hopefully next year i can get a TDI S/L.Maybe some one up your way has one (PI Machine) and they can take you out for a test drive??
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

I used to have an MXT some years ago before I sold it and got out of the hobby.It always seemed to go as deep as I would want to dig and did good with the iron.I found some good finds with it, but I hunt mainly old farms and civil war stuff.
    Since I have returned to the hobby, I have went through a few detectors like FisherF5, Teknetics Omega and Garrett AT Pro.With that being said, I recently purchased a V3I and I have never dug so many good targets in with iron.I will dig a hole and find a square nail or a big chunk of iron in the same hole with the good target and this has happened a lot!The V3I has separation like nobody's business |.. I've only got about 60hrs on the V3I since Feb. but I have been digging in the same places I have hunted before and remember walking the same area with the other detectors.I know that the good targets were masked by the iron and the other detectors had a hard time seeing the target.Most of the targets I have been digging lately are 6-8 but i was in the woods the other day and dug a 22 bullet and it was at least 10+..

Great perspective Spiral! I agree, the V3/V3i is a deep running machine, and does well in the iron. Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

With the MXT and the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10 no problem, when I go to the well hunted parks I only dig the real deep sounding targets and have dug some at 11 and even 12. I do run the gain at +2 and listen real good for those wisper targets, I've hit some that once I opened the hole up the detector would not hit on the target anymore then I'll pull out 12 to 14 and usually be a dime but somtimes it a deep wheat or IH. When you get them that deep you can't count on the VDI as even the silver dimes bounce from the 40's to 50's on the VDI but they sound like a good clean signal but just barely wisper to you and when they sound like that you want to see what they are for sure. It takes a while to get used to those targets and at first they are easy to not hear and pass those by, if you think you even hear a target like that check it real good and then you always be wanting and waiting to hear those. HH
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L link=topic=9067.msg102525#msg102525 date=1330657285
    I know a guy that had a lower end detector and made some incredible finds . I think taking time to get to know your detector does wonders.
    This Rob agrees with that Rob.... lol

Be one with your machine.

Tim hunts with an old lower end machine than my e-trac or Al's V3I...and he kills it...we are amazed by his finds..he's always pulling silver in hunted out areas, but he knows his machine well and has been using it exclusivly for years
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC