Thread: Attention ACE 250 users!

Attention ACE 250 users!

I own an ACE250. I feel like I have a very good understanding of how this machine operates.

I find a ton of clad, but most of the coin targets that I dig are usually no deeper than 3- 4 (maximum).

I realize that there are a number of factors that have an influence how a detector performs, but this doesn't seem typical to me. I am almost certain that I should be consistently digging coin targets that are a bit deeper than 3-4 inches.

I could use some input from other ACE250 users.

I usually hunt in Coin or Jewelry mode with 3-4 bars of sensitivity in trashy areas. Sometimes I hunt in all metal mode when the area is extremely trashy. Should I tweak my settings, or is this machine just lacking in depth?

I'm rockin' an ACE250.

Gold Rings: 02
    Silver Rings: 01
    Silver Coins: 01
    Wheat Cents: : 06
    Bullet count: 06
    Military Buttons: 01
    Tokens: 04
    Keys: 07

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams are destroyed."

Re: Attention ACE 250 users!

You no doubt are much more familiar with the ACE250 than I am, since it's been awhile since I used it, but I'll give this a shot.

Yes, compared to higher-end machines it is lacking in depth. In my experience (in my mineralized soil in Iowa) five inches was about the deepest that I could get a fairly accurate target ID -- in areas of low trash. In iron-infested areas, those littered with trash, and those in extremely mineralized ground it was less than five inches.

That does not mean I didn't get a signal on anything deeper than 4-5 inches.... just that I couldn't depend on the machine to give me enough information to ID it. So I had to dig everything.

I did find a silver half dollar at 6 inches in a field completely lacking in trash (but highly mineralized) - however the signal was quite iffy and had I been in a park where I was getting many such signals I would not have dug it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

That's a very good point about the iffy signals. I believe I will pay a bit more attention to some less-than-amazing signals!

We'll see what happens!

Thanks for the insight/advice!
    I'm rockin' an ACE250.

i got a ace 250 for my grandkids they will perform better if you get a bigger coil we got the 10x14 ecclarator it seems to go a lot deeper with it he has found a 1881 indian head and a 1912 barber dime in a park that was hunted hard hope this can help you also there is a guy on this forum that may be able to help you his name is silverstar he does great with his dennis

Pokie......that's interesting that you mention a larger coil.. |

I actually purchased a 10x14 Excelerator last year and I didn't like it in spots with weeds and brush, so I sold it on ebay....hahahah

I am having regrets now...lol
    I'm rockin' an ACE250.

Elite Member

Yes, Garretts seem to do better with bigger coils. On my 1350, that's all I ever used
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

well lets see. i dont have any trouble finding coins 7-8 inches deep with my 250, but i usually run it one bar shy of full sensitivity.( when damp soil allows)
    now when i run it at 4 or 5 bars of sens...the depth is severely limited, as you say .
    My advice to you is this....run the sens as hot as you can, and dont be afraid to use it a little hot even if you have to put up with a little falsing. It hits deeper that way lol

hook.....good point!

I've actually hunted with the sensitivity turned up a bit here lately. It does pretty well!

Z
    I'm rockin' an ACE250.

pokie 73 you are incorrect about the ace 250 larger coil,i have a large coil and only get an extra inch when using it.The big coil is a waste of time if you ask me,im not trying to start a comparasin contest but just stating the truth people should not be mislead. \

i did not mislead anyone if you do not like the ace 250 thats ok i know a guy from this forum that does fantastic with the same one that my grandson useed i think the magic is in the operator you can only get out what you put in there is no easy way out some always look for the machine to do the work for them you have to put in the effort to learn the machine that you use everthing comes with a price i am not incorrect and i have seen several detectorists that use the same machine that do very well i have used whites for over 20 years and now use a minlab for about 1 year now i can honestly say that i have only scratched the surface the learning may never end dennis

Your alright dennis sorry if I sounded a tad tough!I just know my machine and I experienced this that's all!(1) extra inch for the big coil compared to the small coil!If you want to buy my large coil ill sell it real cheap!

anybody out there use a gtp 1350 i think thats the right model my father got a used one and is having a little trouble understanding it thanks dennis

I wanted to publicly apologize to you dennis for my comment the other day,i hope you have a good 2013 silver year!Save some barber dimes for me I love them!And I hope your feeling better.

The ace 250 is a good detector but it has some annoying quirks , one of those quirks is an extremely slow retune speed. Unfortunately this slow retune speed makes it difficult to seperate targets a lot of times and if there is more than one target under the coil it will pick up both of them and may not accurately identify them , thats one of the reasons you can get so many iffy signals. A lot of people want to go to a larger coil to gain more depth but that causes a larger coil footprint in the soil , makes it even harder to identify or seperate targets a lot of times and magnifies the problem of a slow retune speed. The best friend of the ace 250 is the small sniper coil , which amazingly enough gets nearly the same depth as the standard coil just with a smaller footprint. The smaller size though makes target seperating and identification much better , seems to speed up the retune speed since the coil clears the target sooner before picking up any nearby targets and is a breeze to pinpoint. I hunt almost exclusively with the sniper coil even when Im covering a lot of ground and its made the detector a lot easier to use , its also increased my good finds a lot since there is so much less target masking and falsing. I also find plenty of stuff in the 6 to 8 inch depth range with it. The way to go with the coil size on an ace 250 is smaller , not larger , any increase in depth with a larger coil is minimal and since the larger coil covers more ground with each sweep you get more target masking and less accurate identification. Hope this helps.

I have a 10 x 14 excellerator coil for my 350 , I like it mainly to cover more ground , mostly hunting corn fields , I due believe it gets a little more depth !!!!!!

Yeah, ace 250 it's good, but eventually starts to miss the depth of a standard coil.
    I'm using now even ace 150 but with DD-coil from ace 350.
    Fortune smiles prepared
    www.treasure-hunting.info

I don't know much but in my last two backyard hunts I have found 3 silvers. They weren't deep but I've dug pennies that rang up as deep dimes and had to do a lot of digging to get to them in those same yards. I TRULY believe that the skill of the operator means the most. I'm subscribed to a youtuber who is KILLING the jewelry on beaches with the 250. He could open up his own jewelry store.

I love my Ace 250 with big coil. I got IH at 12 inches deep, just last year I got over 300 silver coins with that coil on my Ace 250. I think its location and luck big part of my success but yes big coil gives you more depth. I hunt with sens one bar under max and in coin mode dime and up. I have couple friends who bought big coil and after a day they got frustrated with and just give up on it. Trust me I felt same way first time I used but after a week I just felt in love with my big Berta coil lol. Best of luck and HH. Mike

I don't use the Ace250, but I'm not too sure I'd want to be hunting in all metal mode when the area is extremely trashy no matter what detector I had! Unless of course it was a PI (pulse induction) and I had no choice. Discrimination can be your friend and it was designed for trashy sites.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!