Thread: First Hunt With The Detech Ultimate 13 Coil On The E-Trac

First Hunt With The Detech Ultimate 13 Coil On The E-Trac

As luck would have it my new Detech coil showed up just prior to the weekend that my Wife, and I had scheduled for Spring clean-up.

So no time for a big hunt. >:\

I did manage a couple of hours down at the old park 3 blocks from my house, and the yard and garden look great as well. lol

Let me start by saying the 13 coil is huge! Oddly enough there is no discernible weight difference from the stock 11 coil. This size difference will make it a challenge in tight places, but out in the open you should not be able to tell a difference. Initially I strapped on the coil and headed for the 5 year old coin garden in front of my house. There is a lot of EMI here, and as promised the coil handled it better than the stock coil. I was easily able to see even the deepest targets.

First observation:

*** With the factory coil I can run at 19 and maintain stability. I can just barely get a blip from a Wheat buried at 10 inches.

*** With the new Ultimate 13 coil I can maintain stability at 21, and the 10 inch wheat just sings out with a solid hit.

Second observation:

The hits are more accurately represented without the jumpiness and exaggerated VDI responses. This was noticeable right away, especially at depth. Without question this coil is better in a high EMI hunting envirnment.

My biggest concern was loosing sensitivity in the trash, and deep iron. In short order I found this to be no problem. This was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The video below will show some targets that came out of the hole with a crimp cap, and nails. Pretty amazing if you think about the size of the coil.

DU13

I was very happy to see this clad dime among the nails!

Any time you can pull a deeper coin around a crimp cap, you are doing OK in the trash.

10 Wheats in very short order from a well hunted area tells me there will be many good finds with this coil.

The coil was very easy to swing. Over the 2 short hunts I did dig a few Wheats at +8 inches with sounded great. You can run this coil a little hotter than stock if you want. This combined with the coil size gives you a better chance in a high EMI scenario, but I found myself running the sensitivity at normal levels out in the parks away from any noise. I did adjust the Threshold Pitch setting down a bit. While the numeric target values are very accurate, the tone seemed a little higher pitched on a clad dime. I backed it down to about 12. I normally use a setting of 15 with the stock coil. This seemed to do the trick. I like to hear a clad dime on the surface just below that sweet sound produce by a lot of silver coins. I am sure I will have a lot more to say about this coil when I get the hunt time.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: First Hunt With The Detech Ultimate 13 Coil On The E-Trac

Thanks for the field report!

How long did it take for your coil to arrive? There was a thread somewhere from a few guys who ordered them and it was almost 45 days without ever recieving the coil.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Good review and video Jack. I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can test it out. It has only been 39 days since I placed the order. I can not believe that he doesn't use a different shipping method or at least let the buyer choose and pay for faster shipping. Five more days and I'll have to file a claim with PayPal just to cover my butt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I ordered it on February 15th and received it March 22nd. So about 36 Days for me. I expected at least 30 days, so not to bad really. The status never changed on the tracking though. Other folks are receiving theirs, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

What do you mean knife blade effect?

Quote Originally Posted by kurt link=topic=9398.msg105973#msg105973 date=1332856891
    What do you mean knife blade effect?

Concentric Verses DD style coil field...

This image courtesy the following informative link...

http://weekend-shop.com/magazine/?p=41

Thank you. Read the entire article. Helped me understand the DD coil.

I have a question if I may. My concern would be I hunt area where there is a lot trash. How will it perform there. I know the depth where the good coins are it's 9 inchs I need an edge is this it why doesn't angel have it. I don't mind spending the money I just want to make it worth it. I really appreciate the feed back and the insight. This was a great post by you. Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1147SILVER link=topic=9398.msg106249#msg106249 date=1333071825
    I have a question if I may. My concern would be I hunt area where there is a lot trash. How will it perform there. I know the depth where the good coins are it's 9 inchs I need an edge is this it why doesn't angel have it. I don't mind spending the money I just want to make it worth it. I really appreciate the feed back and the insight. This was a great post by you. Thanks Steve
    I have the coil and I don't, or rather can't, use it where there is a lot of trash. No matter how good a larger coil may be, it is going to pick up all that trash. Now, sometimes according to the way the trash is relative to the coin, you will still pick up the coin in between the trash and other times it will be masked. But, you are going to have to hit that spot from many many angles. The stock coil should hit a 9 coin with little problem IF you can get your sensitivity up to 25 or more (depending on your soil). I said 25 as that is where a boost process apparently occurs. You can test this for yourself.

I'd still get the coil for those spots that have less trash. This is a very relative thing though, I take what you said a lot of trash to be a lot of trash, and can't imagine using a large coil there. No matter how well a large coil can separate you are going to have too much masking going on in higher trash areas and are going to be inundated with too many signals too boot, but still hit that occasional coin due to the layout.

It depends on what kind of trash your dealing with. The coil despite it's size seems to handle the deep iron well, and still allow the E-Trac to give a consistent tone on deeper coins. There appears to be more than just the separation factor going on in this scenario. Higher conductive Surface trash such as aluminum tabs, old pull rings, and shredded can bits will be an issue as Albert has stated. Working a target from all angles is important. Little micro coil movements (1 to 2 inch swings) around a potential target will help bring out a good response as well.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Mine finally arrived today, 44 days from order date. I will report on it when I get some time to play.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

OK, I made the leap and took my winnings from the last poker game and ordered one of these. So I guess I should have it by mid May.

Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Keep us posted Jason!

Looking forward to your feedback on this Jeff. I'm glad it arrived!