Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first seated quarter!

My first seated quarter!

Was thrilled to find this 1876 cc seated quarter at our oldest city park It was about 5 deep in a very trashy area (everywhere is trashy there lol ). I was using my new SEF butterfly coil. It was extra satisfying because I've hunted that park many times without finding any silver. I found the 3 mercs all together my first merc trifecta

Also adding a few pics of some recent hunts and finds- I haven't posted a thread in forever! I've found 5 mercs this year- I think it's odd that over the years I've found so many more mercs than rosies. Seems the latter would be more abundant where I search. I love the transit tokens I've found this year. The Ky Traction & Terminal Co one is dated 1917 (hard to read) and the Green Line is 1930's.

The huge house was last weekends group hunt- my local MD club. The house was built in 1920 and vacant (fire). About 20 of us met up and many found silver. I only found clad, 1926 buff, handful of wheats and a bucket full of tootsie toys/hotwheels on the hunt but it was still fun to meet up with my buddies

Oh the red glass button/broach/popped off a rosette? I found it next to an old carriage stop... anyone know what it might be? It is definately glass vs plastic. I doubt it is ruby due to the cheap setting lol Wishful thinking... exciting when I first dug it up though.

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: My first seated quarter!

Nice seated quarter thumbsup01 that is the next big want on my list along with a 3 cent a readable flying cent and gold coin rofl rofl

Sweet digs. I'd kill to find a seated quarter. The ruby thing might be a reflector from a bike or a sign... I've dug some similar items but I may be off target. Is there anything written on the back? Here's a pic of the ones I dug.

Congrats on the great digs!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

аnd liberty ! liberty
    Cjngrads

Tana, WTG on the seated. I know how you feel about posting lately. It's been a while since I have found some nice coins. Congrats on all the merc's and I see your car collection is growing quite well.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Awesome seated quarter, Tana!

Such a wonderful coin! I'm still looking for my first seated quarter. I'm not holding my breath though, since I haven't even found a standing liberty with my E-Trac yet.

I have found those red glass things before too. I always assumed that they were some kind of old reflector, maybe for a bicycle. I'm not certain of that though.

So glad to see a post from you! I love all of your photos! thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

! Great Finds! And really good photo's! You have some great looking places to hunt! Congrats! Tell your team to leave you more silver next time!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Hey! That was MY seated quarter! lol

Congratulations Tana, and nice photos!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

A seated quarter. Awesome! I agree about the reflector. I really like the old clock key, nice. Great pictures. Looks like a good time was had by all. Congrats thumbsup01
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Those are rather sweet finds Tana, love the seated quarter and the other goodies, pretty sure that is a reflector. Glad to see you posting again! lol
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Isn't is SA-WEET to get that one marked off...

Yahoo.... Go you
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Thats one on my wish list. I bet that made you feel happy. great job on finding a sweet coin!!
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143

That Seated Quarter is great! Lots of great pics too. Congrats on your hunting success!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

Congrats on a nice seated Quarter!! Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Awesome finds. Congrats!
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

congrats on your first seated now you can start looking for your second one it never ends you know anyway good hunting dennis

What a great hunt Tana! Congratulations on a great coin, and another first! Your really getting that V3i tuned up these days. I really like the SEF coil as well. I have one of the old black ones, same size. You got that happy look on your face that sums up the hunt.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Congrats on the seated quarter. Those houses are beautiful. That little red thing could be a lens that goes over a light from a tractor letting you know that the ignition is turned on.

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I'm getting back into the swing of things lately...
    literally! lol

Btw, the last place there in my pics above was built in 1790 and I'm very excited to be hunting there all day tomorrow. My 4 yr old and I went there for about an hour this afternoon and found 1880 IH in mighty fine condition... it was wedged on a root and rock and looks like as if it was dropped yesterday stretcher: I got a great signal for something large under some roots where the old mill and distillery was. I carefully dug a foot deep, diligently moving rocks - I have this feeling it is very special relic or perhaps a cache of gold coins lol I plan to dig it up tomorrow, will let you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two link=topic=9399.msg105873#msg105873 date=1332784300
    Those are rather sweet finds Tana, love the seated quarter and the other goodies, pretty sure that is a reflector. Glad to see you posting again! lol
    Yes, I think it might be a reflector as it sure looks like the ones Z118 posted. Although pretty small, perhaps a bike reflector?
    Or Rob's mention of tractor ignition light, although... the way the glass is cut it seems decorative. One of the things I like about detecting is learning about and/or the mystery of never knowing what something was actually used for lol

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=9399.msg105846#msg105846 date=1332776700
    Sweet digs. I'd kill to find a seated quarter. The ruby thing might be a reflector from a bike or a sign... I've dug some similar items but I may be off target. Is there anything written on the back? Here's a pic of the ones I dug.
    Thanks for sharing your pics! Yes those look just like mine... I guess you found all 3 of those near eachother? Yeah, maybe from a sign... I never thought about reflectors being on signs. To answer your question: No, there's nothing written on the back, just a 'snipped' out hole to let light in. I think Rob might have something on the tractor ignition light!

Quote Originally Posted by Merc link=topic=9399.msg105880#msg105880 date=1332789019
    Thats one on my wish list. I bet that made you feel happy. great job on finding a sweet coin!!
    Thanks merc! It's been on my wish list too. Now on to finding a seated half lol

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=9399.msg105868#msg105868 date=1332782653
    Hey! That was MY seated quarter! lol
    rofl lol Thanks Angie! Actually I know you've hunted there- and done very well | If that's the right place, you had mentioned an old lake... but I found behind the pool area.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=9399.msg105904#msg105904 date=1332806732
    What a great hunt Tana! Congratulations on a great coin, and another first! Your really getting that V3i tuned up these days. I really like the SEF coil as well. I have one of the old black ones, same size. You got that happy look on your face that sums up the hunt.
    Thanks Jack! I heard that SEF coils don't do well in trashy areas but it did - in fact I used a program from the Book of Jack to find this quarter So, a sincere thanks to you! I do try high trash mode in old parks but don't seem to get near depth (4 maybe??) So I use it around trees and shelters where there could be less composition going on... and roots pushing up...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L link=topic=9399.msg105920#msg105920 date=1332813130
    Congrats on the seated quarter. Those houses are beautiful. That little red thing could be a lens that goes over a light from a tractor letting you know that the ignition is turned on.
    I think that could be it! With the hole kinda 'snipped' out from behind to let light in... leads me to believe it prob wasn't a jewelry piece. Thanks for the congrats I'm still flying high from finding the seated quarter!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

WOW !!! Very cool stuff and way to go on the CC Seated Quarter . The pictures are great too . |