Thread: two headed snake buckle

two headed snake buckle

Hello I found this civil war era two headed snake buckle the other day. ....HH.... 401K .... Update.... This type of snake-duck head, seems to be the early verity. It seems the closest match that I have seen is an early English version. I'm thinking that it could have been used in the 1700s and possibly in the Rev War on an English military uniform. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UA&cad=rja
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: two headed snake buckle

Congratulations on a highly coveted find . Nice picture . Welcome to the foum . |

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=10097.msg112291#msg112291 date=1337659462
    Congratulations on a highly coveted find . Nice picture . Welcome to the foum . |
    Thanks!! I havent done a lot of research on it but what I seem to understand is that England wants to take claim for producing these but cannot produce the makers. Some people say that they were made in the USA. There are a lot of repops which makes it hard. The two headed snake has been an idea for thousands of years and was an idea that the colonial Americans had before,during and after the rev war along with the English. The idea was also used in the civil war. But the maker of this buckle to me is unknown so to put an exact date on it I cannot say without definitive proof. ....HH.... 401K

I didn't know the British had tried to take claim for producing them , I learned something new , thanks .
    Maybe Del (who is really knoweledgeable on the old stuff ) will be able to add a bit more info on this .

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=10097.msg112294#msg112294 date=1337661730
    I didn't know the British had tried to take claim for producing them , I learned something new , thanks .
    Maybe Del (who is really knoweledgeable on the old stuff ) will be able to add a bit more info on this .
    That would be great!! If anyone knows where they were made would be awesome! I do know that they were said to be used in the civil war. I understand that they also predate the civil war. Thanks! .... Scott

hey Scott buckles like that come in many variations and have been around since the early 1800's so its hard to pinpoint the exact one a lot of times . i think yours is post Civil war just by the subtle style and design . heres a good link to some info and there are other links there to help you nail it down.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/86...e-buckle-belt/

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I like it , very different. NIce find Scott! thumbsup01
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143

Thanks for posting such an awesome find. It's great to be able to see such items and also to learn something about the item.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Hey Scott,nice find, my ancestors were so poor they used real snakes to hold up their pants. lol
    We'll get out soon, Drew
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10097.msg112298#msg112298 date=1337672354
    hey Scott buckles like that come in many variations and have been around since the early 1800's so its hard to pinpoint the exact one a lot of times . i think yours is post Civil war just by the subtle style and design . heres a good link to some info and there are other links there to help you nail it down.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/86...e-buckle-belt/ Dan I know there are many different types of this buckle and I think they started making them in the 1700s for the militia and then repoped it in the early 1800s. The origin of these is unknown to me. It would be awesome to to have the true info not just speculation. I see a lot of he said she said out on the internet but nothing definitive. They still make them today http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...ke_Buckle.html . I cannot say what buckle this one is being the skeptic that I am without definitive proof; just out of respect. I see pictures of them being used in WW1 but I do not think they were military issue then, just a soldier using his families keepsakes. It's an idea that seems popular through the ages and it is what it is. ....HH.... Scott

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 401K link=topic=10097.msg112318#msg112318 date=1337715265
    hey Drew Snake skin belts are big bucks!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Very cool buckle, WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Very nice! Congrats on a great find!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

After a little more research I found that they were made in England as far back as the 1500s according to this treasure hunting club. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UA&cad=rja They also say that the English military used them in the 1700s