Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CTX3030 / E-Trac Comparisons

Re: CTX3030 / E-Trac Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=10188.msg113783#msg113783 date=1339104317
    Isn't there a rule around here against bashing MD manufacturers, or, like most things, has that changed on a whim as well or are exceptions applied for the well-connected? Well, my opinion is this -- if you don't like the machine, the price, or the manufacturer, don't buy it, but otherwise hold your peace. Its that simple. Whining about the price of the machine or the policies of the manufacturer doesn't seem all that constructive (but its everywhere, save one other forum, and now it is here). Too bad the mods tolerate it.
    Members are welcome to post their opinions and experiences, even if you don't like them, Randy. No one gets special privileges here, as you are insinuating. There is a difference between expressing opinions and 'bashing'.

We do not make decisions or change things around here on a whim. The only thing I see going on in this thread is bashing of this forum and of the people who run it - by you. If you have a problem with this forum then feel free to post elsewhere. Do not bash the forum and the moderators and administrators here.

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=10188.msg113783#msg113783 date=1339104317
    And, to the handful of you who read this message before it was pulled: Farewell, farewell, I wish you the best |
    I think your post speaks volumes, so I'll leave it right where it is.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Randy , Midas's opinions on the new machine are very accurate as the only accessories for it are exclusive to minelab and are on the pricier side , he just expressed that he will not purchase this one. the same would be allowed of you to voice these sentiments if expressed in a similar way i assure you.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Well, here is the first real world target that I've come across online that the CTX hit and the E-Trac couldn't. Short video, mentioned midway about.

ctx1.1.wmv

Did I see that right at the end of the Video that this individual was JW who is in fact a KellyCo employee?

I wished they would have filmed both the E=Trac,and the CTX over the target. What was the settings being used on both detectors? Pretty neat that he was pulling Silver Dimes though! Hopefully we will see better comparison videos in the near future.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I think Albert will be objective in his videos about the CTX when they come.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=10188.msg113884#msg113884 date=1339195633
    Did I see that right at the end of the Video that this individual was JW who is in fact a KellyCo employee?
    It said a big thanks to JW@kellyco. I'm guessing he sold him the detector. He also said that Digging PA checked the target with the Etrac so I would guess they are in Pennsylvania.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Good catch Jack and it was unbeknownst to me at the time!

Mark - I'll be honest but I don't have an E-Trac to compare signals to

It will take time but I'm sure the videos will appear with people comparing signals. But really, I expect the E-Trac to hit on all but the absolute worst masked targets. My attraction to the CTX, to be honest, is the balance. Yeah, for me a HUGE markup in price for better balance, ouch! I loved the E-Trac otherwise, was set with my two extra coils in the 6X8 SEF and 13 Detech, but my back wasn't cooperative.

The balance and water proof would be two important features to me. I recently bought an AT Pro to hunt the baptizing holes in my area. I'm sure the CTX has a faster processor which would greatly help with unmasking targets better over the Etrac.
    One thing I've learned in the last month. I took the Etrac to a small area that has yielded many older coins in the last few years. Picked a 20x20 area and went really slow 4 seconds for a 3 foot path, found 5 nickels ranging from 4-6 inches deep. Now this might not sound impressive, but swing my normal speed these coins only produced partial beeps. I might add one thing, I've hunted this area with the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero, Fisher 75 and Fisher 75 LTD. Very slow has opened up some new hunting for me especially in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by markg link=topic=10188.msg113885#msg113885 date=1339197975
    I think Albert will be objective in his videos about the CTX when they come.
    He certainly will!
    Fisher CZ21, Excalibur II 800 (scuba), Minelab X-Terra 705, DeepTech Vista SMART, AKA Sorex Pro, Fisher CZ70Pro, Fish CZ3D

i was really impressed with the balance and new li-ion battery and compartment , its a serious looking machine and the multi target trace or build up is a really nice feature .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The improved balance means a lot to me. In the last several hunts I have suffered the pain from the E-Trac from the bad balance of the unit. It isn't a deal breaker, but it makes a difference.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Yes it would have been nice to have seen the E-Trac and the CTX on the same target before digging. Hopefully we will see some of that. He made mention that the first target was silver and that impressed him, well it could have been a clad dime too, just because it was silver does not mean a whole lot, it just was the first target he encountered. It just makes it more memorable no doubt. Similar thing for me with a new coil, Sunray X-12 put it on the E-Trac took 10 steps into a park field bam 8 on edge Large Cent...made me feel good about the coil but spent two days hunting the rest of the field with it and nada but clad. I think the CTX has a lot to offer and will at some point probably get one so I am not denigrating the machine by any means just that finding silver on first target does not add nor detract from the quality of the machine.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I totally agree with you.

Candidate Member

CyberSage, so what are you going to do? I'm considering trading in my Etrac and V3i for the CTX 3030...should pull the trigger this weekend! It's a complete package for me and I can reduce my inventory by one detector and 5 coils.
    It will be time to do another hunt,

Bill
    V3i, E-Trac, GPX-5000, GB2, Shadow X5, Infinum LS and lots of coils to find the "good stuff"!

Quote Originally Posted by cobill link=topic=10188.msg117333#msg117333 date=1342812755
    CyberSage, so what are you going to do? I'm considering trading in my Etrac and V3i for the CTX 3030...should pull the trigger this weekend! It's a complete package for me and I can reduce my inventory by one detector and 5 coils.
    It will be time to do another hunt,

Bill
    Hey Bill! It would be great get together for another hunt. I have decided to hold on to the E-Trac for sure. I probably will sell my DFX/Bigfoot Coil, and V3. Still can't justify the CTX as of yet. I have not hunted a lot this year so far, but I do get down to the FC City Park for a couple of hours now and then. Still digging Wheats, and Silver Dimes with the E-Trac on a regular basis there. Talk to you soon buddy!

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I wrote the below on another forum. I have around 45 hours on the CTX now. It is just a mini review. When I have 100 hours, I'll try to write more.

Thus far I have been pretty happy with the CTX. I will try to break my comments down:

Performance - Noticeably faster and better separation than the E-Trac. It doesn't necessarily go deeper but I'm finding more coins at 9 with the CTX than I did with the E-Trac, in a much less time. (9 is the max thus far). The way it hits the 9 coins I think I will start finding some 10 coins. 50 Conductive falses way too much compared to Combine but I'm able to get it to perform regardless. I do run it hot though, at least most of the time. I love the shortcuts and user button and layout - Minelab got that right and I bet they aren't finished! VERY EASY to move around the menu. I will stress this point, very nice Minelab.
    The performance of the CTX is not hugely superior to the E-Trac, but it is noticeably better (I'll guess and say 20% ish). I'm guessing the E-Trac hits on most targets the CTX finds, albeit with a less accurate VID and not as strongly. The E-Trac will miss some of the deeper targets or targets closer to iron/trash. If you don't hunt in bad ground or high iron / trashy conditions, I wouldn't think the upgrade to be worth it.

Build Quality - Top Quality. Can't complain. The stems fit tight and I like that. Very sturdy unit and it also looks nice.

Ergonomics/Weight - They got the balance spot on, just perfect. The reason I tried the CTX is because the E-Trac's balance was terrible and I loved it so much (just clicked with it) and didn't want to keep searching for a machine that worked in my soil after so many had failed. I now have a few 5 hours hunts and I do feel the weight but not like the E-Trac. I would have preferred a 3lb E-Trac to be honest. The handle, for me, is at the right angle and has the perfect thickness. I love not having a foam grip! The only thing with ergonomics that I still think is off is the pinpoint button. It is above the forefinger and not angled down towards it. It is mostly easy to adjust to this though - but still gets me after 40 hours of use.

Screen Quality - For a color screen it is subpar in my opinion. Had I not had a V3i I might not say that. (The V3i is how many years old now and the CTX's color screen, though it clearly has more pixels, is just kind of blah.) Sort of sad considering the cost of the machine. (Now, if the sun is just coming up or about down it looks pretty good). If they could add some contrast and more vibrant colors I will change my opinion. But the colors and contrast is sort of flat - Just look at most of my videos. I mean, there IS NOT a contrast adjustment - that is weird. It's a bit hard to see where your disc pattern is at times as it is sooo faint. (Depends on outdoor conditions though.) I switch between patterns fairly often and sometimes am in the wrong one as one is minimal and the other open (when sun or the like is out it is easy to do). The VID numbers mostly cover the clock and if you run hot (like I do), the clock is almost always covered - hope they allow us to move something in an update.

Special functions - I do like target trace and target trace pinpoint. Target Trace doesn't seem to do much beyond 6 or 7 so in my ground but it is giving a lot more information via the splattering. I like that much more than the target trace alone. The ferrous coin ground setting has made a HUGE difference in my iron mineralized ground and sites with more iron. I am most looking forward to what upgrades Minelab adds. That is exciting and a big improvement imo - to have upgrades. Being waterproof is great as far as cleaning the unit and hunting in rain goes. Having it waterproof to 10ft probably added a lot to the cost and I bet most don't ever use that, so I would have preferred water resistant and a cheaper price. The GPS feature, thus far is mostly unused but I will play with it more at more open locations. It is handy for keeping track of larger sites.

Price - Pick your currency, I'd say the unit should sell for 1900 bucks or so. The technology is improved and the waterproofing is great, but the price seems really exaggerated. The AT Pro which costs 600 or so bucks is waterproof to 10ft as well so I can't justify a 2500 buck price tag because of that. Essentially, we have a unit very similar to the E-Trac with maybe 20% or so better performance, not really more depth, but it sells for almost double the price. I could see that being worth it if the depth was 3 or so more. Think about this. This is not a criticism, I'm really looking at the unit and wondering how they charged so much. It is a great unit, no doubt, but I can't justify the cost. But here is the thing - sites are getting pretty hunted out. And if the CTX gives you that edge in those sites AND word gets out, they will come. :chase:

Overall - I really like the unit, my favorite unit by far thus far - not close (So don't take my criticisms the wrong way). Performance is what matters most and that has been improved on over the E-Trac. I still say, had they built a fast and light and just water resistant E-Trac (basically a CTX light in a way) they would have killed the market. Thus far, at least from my reading forums, the CTX seems like an E-Trac upgrade for most. I don't think a lot of guys are using it at the beach or underwater - I haven't seen any stats.

Albert

Candidate Member

Albert, great review and I've been following your notes on other forums! All of the positive reviews and my dealers trade-in support sold me. Just packed up my E-trac and V3i. |
    The CTX3030, underwater headphones and CTX 06 coil will be here soon.

Bill
    V3i, E-Trac, GPX-5000, GB2, Shadow X5, Infinum LS and lots of coils to find the "good stuff"!

I have had my 3030 for a month now and I love it. It has found more silver right out of the box than any other detector I have had. The greatest features is the ergonomics. I can hunt all day. The new exchange is nice too.
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Leshe, Leshe Sampson