Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JUNE 2012 CONTEST

Re: JUNE 2012 CONTEST

My friend Susan asked me to help her find her missing gold earring in her yard a couple years ago. She was standing on the front porch, eager to see how my new V3i worked. I was fooling around with sensitivity and volume when she said c'mon, c'mon let's see it in action!. I swung a few times and immediately got a loud excited signal but was going to disregard, thinking it was just a zinc penny, but she enthusiastically said dig it, dig it! And I was amazed to pull up this big chunk of gold with the year '36 and Cardome college. She looked at it in awe and shook her head and said &quoth my goodness, this is my mom's class ring...

Her mom had passed away 10 years before, she had cared for her mom there at her house before her time had come. Susan showed me her mom's initials engraved in the inside M.J.M., she put on the ring and was deep in thought. She looked at me with puppy-dog eyes and said Can I keep it?...

I said &quoth, of course! It was my first gold ring and I felt proud to return it to it's rightful owner. And as payment I kept the Franklin half, 2 rosies and wheat I found afterwards in her front yard!

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Great story Tana!!!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

verreaction:

OK, How do you expect anyone to compete with such an awesome story like that Tana?

lol

That's just so cool.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Aw shux guys-thanks I agree that it was a neat situation, considering it was the first thing I dug in her yard. It was like it was waiting to be found...

Did you notice the orb in the first pic, between the windows? Maybe it's her mom's spirit? stretcher: Hey, you never know! lol

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories- great idea Steve!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

that is just awesome I'll bet that warmed the heart wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=10205.msg115191#msg115191 date=1340721036
    Did you notice the orb in the first pic, between the windows? Maybe it's her mom's spirit? stretcher: Hey, you never know! lol
    Now your just giving me the creeps Tana! [size=24pt]BOO! lol

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Out of all the contests that I've held through the years this is the first that was a fail. Pretty disappointing turnout.

Thanks to the 8 people who shared your stories. I thought they were all outstanding.

Sorry it didn't work out, Steve. I enjoyed the stories anyway.

I didn't enter because I just don't have a story that comes close to fitting the bill. I wish I did, but I've never had the pleasure of returning a lost item to someone, nor could I think of any kind of metal detecting story that seemed appropriate for the contest. I suspect that was the case for many people.

Thanks for offering the contest anyway. It was very generous of you.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

hey Steve it still made for some great reading | |
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

awe, :hysterical: ow well I still enjoyed reading the stories and thanks for the contest.
    sarge ::
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Thanks for the contest Steve! I really enjoyed the stories. You should not be disappointed. I think it was one of your best efforts to date. I think these stories should be preserved in another ongoing thread on this topic. What do you think?

Thanks Jack. Maybe I posted the disappointing turnout comment in haste. It was mentioned to me that asking for 15 stories may have been a bit too much. In any case, the stories were fantastic. Very heartwarming. I love reading posts like those. Some people are more private than others about what they say on forums. I respect that. As you are aware, I say what I feel It would be nice to have a thread nailed to the top with those kinds of stories. A little inspiration for everyone.

Awwww man, I was wanting to win that sand scoop lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I think you had the winning story Tana! Come on Steve, send her the sand scoop.

hey Steve , Jack gives me an idea ... why not let only the participants vote on the winning story with you being the tie breaking judge decission.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

i'll take the merc! no sense letting it just sit there all lonely .he'll have freinds here!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=10205.msg115912#msg115912 date=1341404591
    i'll take the merc! no sense letting it just sit there all lonely .he'll have freinds here!
    Believe me Dave, the Merc's not lonely. I must have at least 2 or 3 of them

I have been only metal detecting for less then a year and I don't think I have a story that would have been appropriate for this contest. But I have to say the stories submitted were really great!

Thanks