Thread: what do you do with your clad?

what do you do with your clad?

I've asked this question before on other forums so I will ask it here also. I use to buy new metal detecting stuff with it but at some point I decided I wanted to have something more lasting to show for my days of detecting when my knees give out. I now save my clad and when I feel I have enough to buy some stocks I buy stocks ( mutual funds)etc. We are not talking about a lot of money but it adds up and the quarterly dividents allow me to take my wife out to dinner, breakfest etc.

I knew a fellow detectorist who bought US savings bonds for his grandchildren. Just curious! Thanks

Re: what do you do with your clad?

this is gona sound so daft ( silly ) , i buried the last 60 clad coins ive found in a small metal box so someone could find a cashe in years to come.
    the first lot from the first 6months bought me my pro pointer, which judging by the amount of wheat pennys ive recovered since getting it i really needed .

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

It goes into a detector fund and I use it to pay for new gear.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

First I curse because it wasn't silver verreaction: then when I've gotten a lot of it , I sort it , tumble it , roll it and either spend it at the gas station or take it to the bank . Some folks leave them crummy and run them thru the Coinstar Machines often causing the machines to malfunction this is a rotten thing to do to the Coinstar guy who is trying to make a living and to the other people who may want use the machine . >:/

Yes, please, always tumble your old clad coins. Most places wont take them dirty and crusty. Tumblers and aqurium gravel are cheap. The last time, which was the first six months of detecting, I took the wife out to a really nice dinner. The rest went for batteries and gas.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

All my clad goes toward a CD for my grandson. He's one year old so hopefully it will buy him a college textbook 17 years from now..... lol

[attach=1]i save mine in a orange cup to give to destitute people on the streets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Start with optimism and you will Finish with satisfaction!

p52 - that's a great thing you do with it. I give mine to the Gospel Rescue Mission - similar, Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

I save all my dirty money for a rainy day

Mine goes to Clad for Kids
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Elite Member

I have one account I put it in. Last year I used the clad to buy a certified 1916-D Merc in VF cond., this year I used it so far to buy an x-5 coil (or maybe that was last year too) and a1941/42 Merc overdate and a 1913-s barber quarter. I still have a bit over $1200 in the fund and have about 6 gallon size ziplocks full of dirty clad...and so long as the weather holds out hopefully a bit more for the year. So basially I use them to buy more coins and then my wife can't complain, because it's found money....but lets not tell her how much I spend in gas to go find it
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I tumble and cash my clad in at the local bank. I sell any silver separately and keep a fund going to pay back the cost of my detector.
    V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD

I'm waiting for winter and will tumble all, cash it or save it for new detector equipment.

TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

I just keep adding mine to a jug. Somedays when I get home from a hunt ill toss it out in my yard.

I'm hoping when my grandson gets older he will take interest in metal detecting and will have a field day.

If not someone someday maybe fifty years from now will find the mother load.

I'd like to throw in some silvers but sadly I don't find much of that.