Thread: Advice On Detecting With Bad Knees?

Advice On Detecting With Bad Knees?

Well, the title of the post says it all. I am due for artificial knees sometime in the next 10 years. The Doctor wants me to wait as long as possible as they only last for 15 to 20 years. Anyway, I am doing well with cortizone shots now and starting to feel like I want to go detecting again. It's been about 3 years for me. I did go once in that time and actually dug a few Wheat pennies and a Silver Rosie. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about detecting, and more specifically digging with bad knees. I use an E-Trac and I primarally hunt old properties in search of old coins. Thanks for any help!

Keep Swing'in,
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Sorry to hear about your knee problems, Jack. They are doing wonderful things with joint replacement these days. When your day comes I'm sure it will go just fine for you.

Two possible solutions have come to mind for metal detecting:

1. Dig standing up. I have hunted on multiple occasions with someone who does this. They just bend at the waist.

2. Carry a bucket to sit on while digging, or a small portable chair or stool.

I'm not sure if these options would be viable for you, but it may be worth a try. Best of luck!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Both great ideas Tony! I have hunted with someone who carried a 5-gallon plastic bucket with him for this reason. I am currently working on a removable extension for my leshe digger. Thanks Buddy!

Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Same thing happened to me and shots didn't work. I can highly recommend replacement because it sure worked wonders for me. Don't know your age but 15-20 years will no doubt last longer than I will.
    Deus Autem Lutum

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / EQ 800

The real treasure is in the marketing

I had both knees replaced 18 months ago and have been struggling with this problem.
    Some people are able to kneel down and get up and down from the ground after surgery. These are the only two things I still can't do.
    I have tried digging while standing with mixed results. (YouTuber "Chill Bill" does this with much success, though most of his detecting is done in farm fields. It's a bit harder to do in the wooded sites I like to detect.)
    I've thought of dragging around a foldable stool, but the five gallon bucket might be a better way to go (include the cover, and it could be used to store finds, trash, lunch, etc).

Go to the big box store and get one of those 5' long replacement ash handles. Get one of those mini pony shovels. Take the blade off the pony and stick it on the long ash handle. I did that and it works great. I bought the 5 foot handle because I wanted a stout walking stick for walking on rough terrain, crossing streams, fending off sasquatches etc. But it dawned on me one day to put the shovel blade on it. The best part is the shovel blade can pop off and go in my pack when I just need the walking stick when hiking in or out of a site. I am sure you could grind down the pony shovel blade if you think it is too big for digging in yards.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks for all the ideas. I appreciate the input very much!