Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pequot War Saga (finding history)

Re: The Pequot Hunts Saga

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=10477.msg116541#msg116541 date=1341999730
    I had the pleasure of hearing some of Dans' latest Pequot hunt stories before last nights meeting. I was thrilled to hear them and felt as though I was there myself. Very interesting and exciting stuff.... |

Anyone not visiting this site and especially this forum, and following this thread, have no idea what they are missing. \

Dan
    thanks Frank hey it was great to see you at the last meeting . i would love to see some of those rings you found lately and i'm gonna have to make some time to get out again and hit some beaches with you and my tdi.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 401K link=topic=10477.msg116601#msg116601 date=1342046171
    Looks like ya got your work cut out for ya! Nice going! Good luck! ....HH....401K
    thanks Scott |
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

i've updated the story above some and have news that there are workings for us to do some detecting at the original old fort Saybrook that was aroud in 1636 and was instrumental in Captain Mason's expedition against the Pequots . there is talk about doing a real War of 1812 battle site later on as well and currently there is talks about having folks from the national geographic show &quotiggers visit and do an episode about the Pequot archaeology project and the collaboration metal detectorist and archaeologist have been doing togethere here for the last three years. so it should be interesting these next several months and i hope to let you all know of the progress.

thanks for the continued interest .

Dan

Dan, You did a great job with this Piece. I'm glad you finally told your story of the hunts you and George have been working on with the Area Indian Museum. I'm also glad the College Students had this opportunity to help out. Maybe you may have recruited som more Detectorists out of the group.
    I know how hard it must have been in such harsh environments and in the Summer, too!!
    Thanks for the Education.
    Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

very well put together Dan.very educational and so interesting! thanks for taking the time to show how hard you guys are working and breaking down some of those barriers and stereo types that always seem to plague detectorists and archaeologists.great job! |
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Blog Entries

What a great story,keep up the great work,thank for all the help you have givin me in the past.
    Gary

I'm gonna have to get youa big shiny apple for your desk....awesome job Dan.

I must say that this story just keeps getting better. I personally want to thank Dan and George for donating their time and expertise to this cause. This can only be a win-win situation for both archeologist and the detecting community. |

Back in April I had the privilege of attending a speech made by one of the Minelab execs. He specifically spoke about the future of the hobby and the collaboration beteween the hobbiest and archeologist joining forces to do this exact thing that Dan and George are doing. What stood out to me was that he mentioned that the archelogist community realized that, with the aid of the detectorist, they were able to accomplish in ONE HOUR what normally took them EIGHT to do.

My hats off to you guys! Keep up the great work
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

[move][size=1t] updated the above story in this colored text[/move]

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy link=topic=10477.msg124307#msg124307 date=1349213327
    I'm gonna have to get youa big shiny apple for your desk....awesome job Dan.
    no apple necessary Jess but i would accept a nice cold bruski

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=10477.msg124314#msg124314 date=1349219702
    I must say that this story just keeps getting better. I personally want to thank Dan and George for donating their time and expertise to this cause. This can only be a win-win situation for both archeologist and the detecting community. |

Back in April I had the privilege of attending a speech made by one of the Minelab execs. He specifically spoke about the future of the hobby and the collaboration beteween the hobbiest and archeologist joining forces to do this exact thing that Dan and George are doing. What stood out to me was that he mentioned that the archelogist community realized that, with the aid of the detectorist, they were able to accomplish in ONE HOUR what normally took them EIGHT to do.

My hats off to you guys! Keep up the great work
    your so very right Thiltzy , they are starting to take notice and these guys George , I and YTC members volunteer for are a great bunch who treat us as equals and are hugely appreciative.

Thanks for the post Dan, and just let us know if you want help.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=10477.msg125045#msg125045 date=1350162630
    Thanks for the post Dan, and just let us know if you want help.
    Drew , unfortunately you have to be a YTC club member . they're the ones who have exclusive permission to volunteer , when ya join'in thumbsup01

well heres my brass conical arrow point i found yesterday, i had at first thought i accidently tore the flared eared end in the initial recovery but was told it was just barely hanging on to begin with. they are pretty sure the wooden shaft is still lodged inside and its given them a huge amount of info as to where it may have been shot from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10477.msg125068#msg125068 date=1350180328
    well heres my brass conical arrow point i found yesterday, i had at first thought i accidently tore the flared eared end in the initial recovery but was told it was just barely hanging on to begin with. they are pretty sure the wooden shaft is still lodged inside and its given them a huge amount of info as to where it may have been shot from.
    Great find Dan , you must have been thrilled to find that beauty. OK George, you're up next.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=10477.msg125165#msg125165 date=1350300356
    Great find Dan , you must have been thrilled to find that beauty. OK George, you're up next.
    thanks Frank .

thanks for the grats and interests everyone , i just got back the cleaned up portrait pictures from the museum and some very interesting info about the point . In Captain Mason's account of the battle there were arrows being either retrieved (by allied natives to be reused) or broken by the English on purpose because of the limited supply to their enemy. this point was deffinately shot from a bow and stuck into the ground , the one flared ear was already bent (away from shaft) and damaged before i got to recover it and there was no wooded shaft remanents inside it like the couple others found. this suggests that it might have been an attempted retrieved but the flared ears got caught in the roots and prevented an easy pull from the dirt and the shaft simply pulled out of the brass head where it remained for 375 years until i found it . a very interesting scenario , how dissapointing it must of been for that native american indian brave ,in the heat of battle to pull up a now worthless and ineffective arrow . maybe when the term getting the shaft came about lol lol hope you enjoy the pictures.

Dan

That's an amazing piece of history Dan! thumbsup01 You must be thrilled to be part of it.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

well , with the season winding down this will probably be the last addition to the Pequot War and or King Phillip's War post until next year unless something really incredible happens as there is only one or two hunts left for the year. i just want to thank everyone who has been interested in the two projects and thanks the people we have worked with these last few years . Their dedication to history and professionalism is second to none and its been a real pleasure to share their excitement and experiences out in the field. | | Also i want to thank YTC (Yankee Territory Coinshooters) my local detecting club for all the hours and enthusiasm and for really stepping up strong this year , it was nice to see a lot of new faces comming to the hunts.

Dan

Re: The Pequot War Saga (finding history)

Great job Dan! Thanks for posting the pics and participating in the dig.I am from Mass. originally and kick myself for not getting into this hobby long ago.Lived on the north shore of Boston my whole life and am seeing the various detectorists finding goodies all over my old bird-hunting grounds in Ma./NH/VT! I say good luck and HH to all of 'em.....

Thanks again for sharing this- that was a lot of work! |

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Dan, This was a facinating study that you have taken the time and effort to post, along with the ongoing activities updates. Such an early and little known period of the Colonies history! You are to be commended for your work and I am looking forward to my being able to meet you during my, upcoming, New England trip. With My Regards, Greg Shipley

Quote Originally Posted by IDIG4IT link=topic=10477.msg149783#msg149783 date=1379560092
    Dan, This was a facinating study that you have taken the time and effort to post, along with the ongoing activities updates. Such an early and little known period of the Colonies history! You are to be commended for your work and I am looking forward to my being able to meet you during my, upcoming, New England trip. With My Regards, Greg Shipley
    Dan,I am adding some of gregs pictures as he was having trouble uploading himself.

Greg bought a GSSI SIR-3000 Ground Penetrating Radar system and am, now, embarqing into the business of locating filled-in/buried archaeological & historical features. Revolutionary, War of 1812, & Civil War - trenches, bombproofs, privies, + prehistoricly dug/refilled features, etc. I purchased a 400 MHz antenna box that gets 10 feet deep imaging, so the deep stuff won't be undiscoverable, anymore. Greg Shipley ARLR (Archaeological Resources Location/Recovery) will be available for private site contracting. I'll be running scans for the Greentown Preservation Group on their early 1800s Deleware Indian village restoration project, southeast of Mansfield, Ohio, on Thurs - 6/20.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I know George and I haven't been posting lately and its because we started back up detecting for the Mashantucket Pequot Indian Museum again . I hope there is still an interest in this ongoing historical event that took place back in Connecticut in 1636 to 1637 . Now with a few hunts under our belts this year the first post back at the begining of this thread is now updated under the 2014 heading and updating will be more frequent as with more pictures.

thanks for reading ,

Dan
    Last edited by del; 05-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I know we were a bit unsure of how long it would take us to find that cross over point from where we left of from the prior years, but I never expected us to find it so quickly. The real shocker is how intense the ambush must have been. In a very narrow corridor, we have recovered around 70-80 round ball. That is way more firing then I would have imagined. The layout from those finds is going to show a lot about the troop movements and reloading stops. Can't wait to get back in the woods and try and find the next ambush.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold