Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
Nice looking site! I see Ms. Snapping Turtle was out looking for a sandy spot to lay her eggs. Maybe the newt was too. Anyway, sounds like there are a lot of spots in the area worth paying attention to.
I did have a pic of the center chimney hole but it was blurry. There are a ridic amount of holes in the area and the fact how I been pulling up a lot of repeatables It can't be hit hard. We're talking 4-5 old roads having about 20+ cellar holes on them. As far as an 'attack plan' I think it's best now to handle one spot at a time. If one hole isn't producing I move on. But I did kinda the opposite this past hunt...the site was producing a few things right away and I moved to a spot which was worse. Since I know which holes, out of the ones I made it to, have better finds, I can focus more on those. Now that I have a machete for the one with overgrown barberries.

The turtle was a suprise. It was on a hill of a road and the water near where I first found it was only a brook. It moved quite a ways down the road by the time I went back to the car and there was a small stagnant area of water there (plus a pounded cellar on the corner of a hill). Idk what time of year they lay eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
you're due for a coin or two Jim , the button is an unusual one but i like it !
Dan, yeah..that button is quite unusual. It reminds me of the one Dave pulled up last season which looked to me like a sombrero. I am wondering to clean it a bit to get a better pic..but the back is iron and the front might be brass. Lemon or peroxide will work for the front but might take away from the rust on the back.

AND I'd say I am quite overdue for a coin. Reference in the reply to Jeff... with so many cellar holes in the area and pulling up those clock gear plates with really high tones... and how many relics were pulled.. It's amazing how I haven't yet. It's just odd tho that the majority of every repeatable I get is between 30 and 78. Those can lids, lantern parts, buckles, harmonica reed, lead slug, everyone reads lower than a copper penny. Even guessing the site was cherry picked doesn't make sense. Just gonna have to keep at it. Not sure if I wanna re-prioritize and hit some of the permissions I do already have. There's an immaculate 1719 I want to get permission at. The trees in that yard look like redwoods. I just have to get the owner to answer the door. ( I only tried one time tho which someone was definitely home).