Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my first SEATED HALF!

Found my first SEATED HALF!

Ill Digger (Tim) called me on Friday to let me know that he would be passing through my area, so we agreed to meet at "SLQ Park" for a hunt on Saturday. We hunted at the park for several hours and I found 6 more silvers there including a 1907-D Barber Quarter.

After that we tried hunting at the high school but I didn't find much there except one Merc.

At Tim's urging we ended up door knocking at a large house that we found out was built in the 1870s. Boy, did that end up being a good decision! The owner was super friendly and encouraged us to hunt all we wanted. The very first signal I dug in the front yard was an 1853 Large Cent! Then a little later I found a semi-key 1896-S Barber Dime. Just as it was getting dark I got a beautiful high tone at 7" deep. The target was under some roots and was difficult to reach but I finally got in out of the hole. By this time it was really dark and I could tell it was a silver half but I couldn't tell what kind.

We thanked the owner for letting us detect and he said, "Do you want to come back tomorrow?" Me and Tim just looked at each other and said in unison, "Yeah, that would be great!" So we said our goodbyes and me and Tim went to a nearby gas station to look over our finds. The silver half dollar I had found was still encrusted with dirt, so I got out my video camera and we washed it off on video. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Lady Liberty sitting elegantly on the obverse. MY FIRST SEATED HALF! It is dated 1875-S.

Scratch one off the bucket list!

Me and Tim met at the house again this morning and hunted for about 3 hours until it started raining. Today I found a Merc, an Indian Head, a crotal bell, a token and a watch fob there.

What an awesome weekend of detecting! I want to thank Tim for being brave enough to ask that homeowner if we could detect his property. It really paid off!

Here are my coins from this weekend:
    Name:  Pile-03-28_zpss2lenm7z.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  118.9 KBName:  Oldies_zpsvqocb9yu.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  124.2 KBName:  Coins_zpsceeimobm.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  131.5 KBName:  Silvers_zpsapuux0sy.jpg
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:  Seated Half Forum-Obv.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  109.3 KB
    Name:  Seated Half Forum.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  117.1 KB

Semi-Key 1896-S Barber Dime:
    Name:  Barber-1896S-Obv_zpszwnkbod7.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  100.8 KBName:  Barber-1896S-Rev_zps5lj3cpri.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  130.7 KB

Here is the 1853 Large Cent. I can't show you the reverse because someone did some vulgar modifications to it.
    Name:  Large Cent Obv_zpsvtdn0rvz.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

1883 V Nickel "With Cents"
    Name:  V Nickel-Obv_zpsakujtsip.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  103.6 KBName:  V Nickel-Rev_zps58ifx59k.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  85.7 KB

Here are some of the relics, tokens and fobs I found:
    Name:  Bread Token_zpsou5cecjb.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  104.8 KBName:  Buster Brown Fob Obv_zpsmrayznoe.jpg
Size:  68.4 KBName:  Buster Brown Fob Rev_zpsayurwcib.jpg
Size:  75.6 KBName:  Crotal Bell-1_zpsjtrscux3.jpg
Size:  59.1 KBName:  Crotal Bell-2_zpsd6h7nrxd.jpg
Size:  68.7 KBName:  Relics_zpsimhg7kvp.jpg
Size:  79.3 KBName:  Starch Token Obv_zpsqeedlro7.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  117.1 KBName:  Starch Token Rev_zpsfmttyfgv.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  126.6 KBName:  Tokens-Obv_zpsbvafc7uo.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  121.1 KBName:  Tokens-Rev_zpsgzo2nojy.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  109.2 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Some AMAZING finds there guys!!! That Seated Half is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Unbelievable property and some quality finds sir!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Outstanding hunts Tony! Great silvers......that half is gorgeous! Love the buster brown shoe fob also...
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

great finds as always that half is a hard coin to find i have found a quarter but havent even seen a half till now congrats

YOW! That was one heck of a hunt Tony
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Some super great finds.I love the house too.

Those sure are some great finds Tony! You and Tim had an awesome hunt for sure! Congrats on the Seated Half and all the other silvers. Is that your first complete crotal bell? Those tokens are neat. The starch one has wear like it was circulated! Those nickels sure have strong dates on them. The 1883 is quite bold. Congrats on all your great finds. HH, Dave. BTW, does the largie have a "U" strategically placed? I've read several stories about that and I guess some people collect those.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    BTW, does the largie have a "U" strategically placed?
    Yes. I had never heard of such a thing and I was very perplexed when I saw it, but Tim told me he had seen other examples.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wonderful day for sure! I can't believe all the great things you found there. Especially the seated half! That alone is a great find but along with all the others, I swear you hear more sounds in the ground than 10 good detectors! What another great day for you! Congrats to You! You are the greatest!
    P.S. on my last post you asked me if i found the two SLQs at the same location, no I did not. The first was found at an old dance hall and the second was in a private yard of an old mansion, 100 miles apart.

Holy cow!! Tons of great finds, that seated half is awesome!! I've seen the vulgar thing people used to do on the back of largies before, guess it shows that people have always been the same looks like an incrdible spot, good luck on your future hunts!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Elite Member
    Gee and here I thought I had a good week by finding a ben Franklin Half. WOW those were some great finds without the Seated Half. Amazing day you had. Great hunt. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Well. What can I say Tony. As always it was a great couple of days of detecting with you once again!
    I appreciate you making time to hook up with me for some hunting. And for taking me to another one of your favorite spots. Thanks!

Now.... as for the private yard. What can I say that I haven't said to you already. You and I know that, that place is the kind of spots detectorists dream about
    It's not very often you get a greenlight to hunt a place like that to begin with, but to dig your first target in the first five minutes and its a large cent? Now that just don't happen! At least not around here it don't. I knew you had something good when I seen you already walking over to me, with no headphones, detector, gloves and a closed fist and a big smile on your face! What a great start. But the way you ended it....I thought that was funny! "OK, I think we should go now. I found something good. " I thought it was a gold coin or a trime or something. But when you said it was "a coin, it's big, and it's silver.....oh and it's a half dollar." I was just stunned! The whole 2 hours we were there was surprise, after surprise, after surprise! Wow! What a place!
    Great weekend Tony! You made me look like a amateur out there! Too bad the rain came in earlier than it was suppose to, but I had a ton of fun anyways!
    Congrats again on ALL of your great finds!

Can't wait to do it again sometime bud!

I've got some cleaning and picture taking to do before I can get my things posted.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Double take!

Now that's a weekend of hunting!

Not only did you get a LARGE CENT

But you got a SEATED HALF

And to top it off you got a barber dime with a MINIMUM numismatic value of $85

And as if that wasn't enough, you got the rare "with cents" variety of the 1883 V nickel!

And that's without commenting on your other finds. Let's just say....I'm speechless!

HUGE congrats on your epic hunt Tony!

Sweet silver seated. It took a lot of silver just to get one seated half. Hope it's not a statistic, or at least not translateable to how long it would take to find one this side of the map. Can't see the pics on this browser so I can't comment... there was something I noticed in the pic of the toy car. oh well. The house actually looks newer than it is. Here, that would look more like an 1890s type house. I could give examples, but would be PM cuz some of those are near spots I have on my list. Not important. Door knocking is what it's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Here is the 1853 Large Cent. I can't show you the reverse because someone did some vulgar modifications to it.
    Huh? I wonder why someone would do this to a largie? I didn't think that slang was used until the 1900s.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 03-30-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Sweet silver seated. It took a lot of silver just to get one seated. Hope it's not a statistic, or at least not translateable to how long it would take to find one this side of the map. The house actually looks newer than it is. Here, that would look more like an 1890s type house.

In these parts, those small transom windows under the eaves are a clear sign of 1870s or older. The owner insisted on inviting us inside, and we stood in the foyer as the entire family looked at our finds. It is a beautiful home inside and out.

Just to clarify, this is not my first seated coin, just my first seated half dollar. I have found a total of 18 seated coins.
    Lifetime totals:

Awesome hunt guys... Seated half is on my short list... And the large cent ( Modified to be a brothel token)....Sweet!! Love to find one of those...
    Awesome weekend hunt!!
    Keep it up!

Outstanding hunt, which is made the day was shared with a friend!!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    In these parts, those small transom windows under the eaves are a clear sign of 1870s or older. .
    There are a few variations to get into but I have seen the big pillars like in yours, go up until 1903.. or at least the last build date for a property. Too bad I can't show you what a property I found that is over 300 years old looks like. It sure ain't a colonial like the 99% of other 1700's houses I found were. The miss gave a date of 1960 when I asked how old she thought it was.

Tony!! That is an off the charts weekend! As I scrolled down the pictures I was saying OMG....YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! One of the best hunts ever. Congrats and continued success!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hey Tony, were you ever able to make out the writing on that aluminum token? I see it has quite a bit of the oxidation.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime