Thread: Lonely IH, insurance fob, and a CW pic frame

Lonely IH, insurance fob, and a CW pic frame

It's a much cooler time to get out lately but the days are often too short. Last Tues the wind drove the coldness through the layers of clothes. We were trying for a ring recovery but I have no idea why this small garden field has so much trash.

This weekend was much better for a long hike. It was about a mile and a half uphill to the first site. Fully I prob ended up hiking a total of 2.5 miles in a J shape path. I can't say whether it was bad or not that I moved from the first spot, which produced a lot of targets. I still found some intriguing items at the other places. One that I was looking for must be really hard to spot so I am sure it has to have some good finds.... If I could just seem to locate it.

The first spot I hit was the spot I pulled the engraved rifle butt plate. It definitely seems like there is this one area completely ignored, if anyone has ever been to it. I think the 5th or 6th hole I dug I scored an 1881 IH. Seems this date, although not high valued, is still a date collectors sought after. I kept pulling up harmonica reeds like crazy this time. Idk what it was. There was a pathway from the barn along this hill toward a field. I need to check the field when I return to this site. Along this path, however, was this fob. These are worn on the suspenders. I was just shocked to see a Telegraph number on the fob. I think the insurance company actually ended up in the Smithsonian records. I found one specific case in 1917 where the company was the defendant. I think 1972 was the last time that company name was used. Sure, tho, the fob was late 1800s when the first telegraph was 1844 and 1880s is when the telephone came about.
    The watch case I learned was gold plated or filed. There is some gilt left in the pattern creases. Warranted 25 years means that the gold would not wear through to the brass within 25 years of usage.
    Name:  Hidden Drive.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Barn Foundation.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  104.7 KBName:  Dug suspender fob.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  63.4 KBName:  Insurance Fob side.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.3 KBName:  Watch cover.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  125.9 KBName:  Watch cover 25 yr.jpg
Size:  71.3 KBName:  Harmonica Reeds Well cap.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  106.1 KBName:  Fob Cleaned.jpg
Size:  64.2 KBName:  1881 IH.jpg
Size:  148.2 KB
    I do believe I also found another brass ring. Looks like there is a tread around the outside edge.
    Name:  Brass ring.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  51.4 KB
    The last thing I dug was one of those harmonica reeds before I moved. I am sure there was more to be found, but I wanted to find the next sites due to daylight. Well, the second site is still the one hidden so I bypassed it. The third site was actually it's own site. I had seen this road last time I was at the cellar I knew about. With five small barn footprints I figured this road was a path to the fields. I can see the field shape from the aerial now. Well, it turned out to be an even older site with a cellar on it. It was old because there was not much iron. It is way in so Idk who would have hit the place. All I managed was some sort of pewter piece (inside the pic frame in the panorama shot of the finds). The better finds actually were in the road. The brass fitting and the brass gas nozzle were in the road. Also, the pic frame. I cleaned up the frame to find it had a patent date and manufacturer. It says 'Spooner Bro's Patent July 11 1854". It was a 1/6 picture frame from the CW. The manufacturer was out of Springfield, MA up to 1864. Overall it was a lot of targets with some nice unique items.
    Name:  Finds Sum Knox Cooley.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  Older cellar.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  116.3 KBName:  Dug 1_6 Frame.jpg
Size:  70.2 KBName:  Fram Patent.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  31.8 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Very nice finds Jim. Definitely a successful hunt with the picture/daguerreotype brass matte plate and the insurance telegraph fob. Always killer to find things with writing on them, especially if they can link to the site. BTW, those picture frame/plates look really good in a display case if you place another small item inside it (coin, musket ball etc). Glad to see you hit the road in front of those sites. Those spots have often been overlooked through the years, and honestly I've found a few of my best finds on them. HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

WTG Jim, great hunting. Love the ins fob and the civil war picture frame is fantastic. Fantastic pictures as usual. What's up with the pile of harmonica reeds????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Jim, I love that Equitable thing...how would that have been used as a fob? Could it have been attached to suspenders or a belt? It's a very nice piece!
    PS I HATE HARMONICA REEDS
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Very nice finds Jim. Definitely a successful hunt with the picture/daguerreotype brass matte plate and the insurance telegraph fob. Always killer to find things with writing on them, especially if they can link to the site. BTW, those picture frame/plates look really good in a display case if you place another small item inside it (coin, musket ball etc). Glad to see you hit the road in front of those sites. Those spots have often been overlooked through the years, and honestly I've found a few of my best finds on them. HH!
    Thanks, John. Never thought about specifically having that frame in a case. Probably as a centerpiece. Yeah.. I sometimes hit the roads. With the hike in there, the first road was all resurfaced and leveled, but eventually there was the old road at normal level. Sometimes I don't bother until I get close to the spot I want, even tho I pass by a couple other hammered spots. I just knew the pathway at one site was the spot that gave up the most goodies. The spot where I found at a site I was invited to... then the inviter went super-speed around me bagging two LC, a two center, and half real.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WTG Jim, great hunting. Love the ins fob and the civil war picture frame is fantastic. Fantastic pictures as usual. What's up with the pile of harmonica reeds????
    Thanks, Al. More unique items I can say I nabbed from the dirt. Idk... Two of those were inside the same hole with the wood still in between them. But it was frail. However 7 pieces are ridiculous. Someone said they were a musical family. Another said they prob disliked the tone and just threw it away. Or they were not careful with their harmonicas as they were with their coins...

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Jim, I love that Equitable thing...how would that have been used as a fob? Could it have been attached to suspenders or a belt? It's a very nice piece!
    PS I HATE HARMONICA REEDS
    Thanks, Druzy. It was a fob but I was told by someone who found a similar item that it was worn on the suspenders. I figure it has to be where the suspenders crisscrossed so that it doesn't slide anywhere. The only thing is that I thought that was the back. Only works well if you fall dead face down, otherwise they have to roll you over. You and me both on those reeds. Its like one of those things we find that those out west would love to find and we're here like wtf am I gonna do with this? Almost like an ox shoe.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Hey! don't you go knockin oxshoes!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great finds, I really like that insurance fob and picture frame! Could it be someplace that made harmonicas? That would explain a lot.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice hunt Jim. I love finding overgrown paths like that. That must have been a musically inclined family
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WTG Jim on the finds. That fob is really cool!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey! don't you go knockin oxshoes!
    I'm gonna mail all my ox shoes to you. Let's see what you do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great finds, I really like that insurance fob and picture frame! Could it be someplace that made harmonicas? That would explain a lot.
    Thanks, Chris. Idk. The closest shop was a cooper shop, which is surprising I can see old beams on the ground (unheard of at a cellar) but there are no barrel rings. The site where I pulled the almost fully plated early 1900s monster spoon around the time I got my FE cent had to have at least 50 of those darn rings. This site had a barn and one field. Prob just a self sustaining household. Idk. Could just be something they all did to pass the time. But you never know... It could be as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice hunt Jim. I love finding overgrown paths like that. That must have been a musically inclined family
    Thanks, Jeff. That was a driveway. Does not look like one, does it? I think there was a stream nearby so Idk why they didn't watch the raging waters to pass their time. Maybe they made toy boats and sailed them down and made the music to go along.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG Jim on the finds. That fob is really cool!
    Thanks, Roger. It is def unique and surprising how good of shape it was out of the ground. I did use the diluted CLR but on the tabs I needed to use the fingernail to get that gunk off.

You know, one time I saw ox shoes being sold on ebay. I was like
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew