Thread: Comeback with another off the list. Trime time.

Comeback with another off the list. Trime time.

Since I dug that 2R, I haven't had it in me to get out. I'm still only ~75-80% better but I think the exercise is a key component to recovery. Sunday I tried to get out to a spot, but it was nothing more than an aesthetic hike. If I had found more, I'd prob have taken more pics. You couldn't imagine the size of one of the glacial boulders not 60 ft from a cellar. On the hike out I caught this bad ass painted turtle with a cigarette near him. .
    Name:  20170702_144325.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  76.2 KBName:  20170702_164517_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  63.7 KBName:  20170702_163810.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  149.0 KB
    Tues I had off work and was out and about some time late morning. The very first spot I had was a google map fail. The road is blocked off. I did pass a ball field next to a mid 1800s. Too bad it was either overfilled or hit by others long before. The second spot was where I pulled that J H counter stamped matron. I missed a bunch of things apparently. First was one of the ball buttons. I was able to locate another ball button, like 50-60 ft away. Around the front yard I picked up a few more buttons. The land seemed almost terraced so I went past the front yard toward where this thin flat strip was level. Just above it I nabbed my first trime! It's in pretty good shape too. I just learned these too were referred to fish scales.... prob cuz the size. I still have to locate the tiny thimble.
    Name:  20170705_194807.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.8 KBName:  20170705_194756.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  79.7 KBName:  20170704_201359.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  71.9 KBName:  20170704_135006.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  108.9 KBName:  20170705_194932.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  69.3 KBName:  20170704_201028.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  79.0 KB
    The third spot is where my issue started bothering me for the day, but lucky that was after being out for quite a few hours. It was of course pounded, but I still found a tombac. It looks like it was plated. The only thing I saw similar was a silver plated button that came from the cellar the bakelite brooch (avatar) was found. Yes I know tombac can still corrode, but it is really dull grey whilst the front, which normally would be the same material, is almost like plating. I have never heard of a cheaper metal being plated to mimic a tombac.
    Name:  20170704_202810.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  53.5 KBName:  20170704_214120.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  79.3 KB
    One of the last outings I had lost my coil cover. idk where. It was cracking anyway, and wasn't easy to stay on the coil anymore. I knew I needed to replace it. I got a $50 gc from metaldetector.com. I tried to use it a month or so ago. When I check balance it gives $50. When I try to order, it says it is invalid. wtf? So after 3 attempts, I gave up and ordered from eBay. It was a distributor, but unfortunately I didn't realize White's has 2 different size 10 DD. I returned it and found the correct part, but I tacked on some extra clips and hardware to the order. A guy from ytc had an extra lower shaft. Now I can swap out my small coil even easier by just swapping the whole lower shaft. Maybe it'll see more usage now.
    Name:  20170705_194552.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  28.1 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Nice hunts, and congrats on knocking that trime off the bucket list!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice going on your trime ( still on my list) . Looks like your even laying back and checking out the views, Sweet.

Elite Member
    Wow great coin. I believe my Dad found a nickel variety once or twice but no one I know has ever found a silver one. What a great looking coin. Congrats. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Looks like you had a few relaxing hunts there and was rewarded with a sweet little silver trime! Good job.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Wow great coin. I believe my Dad found a nickel variety once or twice but no one I know has ever found a silver one. What a great looking coin. Congrats. WD
    You're going to hate this, I dug a silver trime 4 years ago in a Wisconsin Park.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on all the great finds and for knocking that trime off your bucket list.
    Great Job!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Jim, great hunts with some great finds. Congrats on knocking one off the bucket list and for updating your signature...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Nice hunts, and congrats on knocking that trime off the bucket list!
    Thanks, Chris. I been doing fairly well this year for knocking a few off the list. Maybe not so good for other things besides detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Nice going on your trime ( still on my list) . Looks like your even laying back and checking out the views, Sweet.
    Thanks, Robbie. Haha. I was thinking someone a hundred years ago could have been doing the same thing resting there. Was a good time to stop and take a break and recoup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Thanks WD. The nickel variety is actually mostly made of copper, yet somehow it rings a bit lower. I ordered one of those from eBay, just to collect, and it is a bit bigger than the silver one. There was an interesting write up on those on why certain ones were 75% Ag and others 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Looks like you had a few relaxing hunts there and was rewarded with a sweet little silver trime! Good job.
    Thanks, Buck. At least it wasn't a hunt where I had to put 110% and get back 5% (still better than a credit card ). This was a trashy site (old pots strewn about the cellar)... so just gotta put the effort as someone else prob just gave up at the site before cuz it was trashy.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    You're going to hate this, I dug a silver trime 4 years ago in a Wisconsin Park.

Congrats on all the great finds and for knocking that trime off your bucket list.
    Great Job!!
    Thanks, Don. I am a bit surprised it isn't easier out there to find some. Out between you and the neighbor state you seem to find more mid-1800s coins, than we do in NE. The 1852 had 18M minted and the 1853 had 11M minted. But, then again, I heard a mention the 20 cent pieces were mostly used down south, so they are scarce other places.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Jim, great hunts with some great finds. Congrats on knocking one off the bucket list and for updating your signature...
    Hey, you noticed. Anything else, dear? I did actually update it when I finally made it back here to comment the day before. It is a tad convoluted to get to the right spot to change the signature. Thanks, tho, Al. Glad to say I found one.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

You weren't feeling well, Jim? Glad you got out and shorted your wish list! I sometimes go to Metaldetector.com's showroom. It's maybe 45min from me, maybe a little longer for you. Congrats on all the cool keepers!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Good to see you getting out Jim and providing us with more nice pics as well as nice finds. Nice hit on the trime. As long as Donnie doesn't post another Tree shilling, you just might win coin of the month for July
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I don't think there is any danger of me posting another Shilling for a long time, Lodge Scent! As a matter of fact, my last couple of hunts were tough. I barely made it home with a few buttons to show, although, any day in the woods with your buddies is a great day. I think I am on a much deserved dry spell.

Congrats on the Trime, Mango! I have never found one in 22 years of detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Good to see you getting out Jim and providing us with more nice pics as well as nice finds. Nice hit on the trime. As long as Donnie doesn't post another Tree shilling, you just might win coin of the month for July
    XP Deus

Sorry, this has been over a month I have been suffering. Been taking time here and there off work to rest, so not really on here to check out others' finds. I did get quick time now before I go home for weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You weren't feeling well, Jim? Glad you got out and shorted your wish list! I sometimes go to Metaldetector.com's showroom. It's maybe 45min from me, maybe a little longer for you. Congrats on all the cool keepers!
    Yeah. Still not feeling well. That's a whole 'nother issue the ordeal I am trying to go thru for a treatment.
    Thanks, Tho, Drew. Yeah, the showroom is closer to you. I just don't like the fact their site won't let me use the gift card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. With luck it will. I saw it eventually did get in the banner. However, yes, It wouldn't be against a pine tree shilling likes yours was.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I don't think there is any danger of me posting another Shilling for a long time, Lodge Scent! As a matter of fact, my last couple of hunts were tough. I barely made it home with a few buttons to show, although, any day in the woods with your buddies is a great day. I think I am on a much deserved dry spell.

Congrats on the Trime, Mango! I have never found one in 22 years of detecting.
    Thanks, Donnie. One guy at the YTC club has been detecting for prob close to that amount of detecting and has only found two. They do pop up, but not vastly.

I also did finally take the thimble out for you, and others to see. Maybe you can compare it to yours. In the pic of both, the one on the right I had found like 2 months ago and was the only thing at one spot. It is maybe 2mm shorter, but def fatter than the one I got at the site with the trime. That is a nickel on edge behind them.

Name:  20170710_204725.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  49.0 KBName:  20170710_204558.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  49.6 KB

Sweet finds! The trime has still eluded me!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Congrats on the really nice Trime, Jim! I am jealous of that one. That's a coin that remains on my bucket list. They are so tiny!

Wonderful post and nice photos, as always.

Good job!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Sweet finds! The trime has still eluded me!
    Thanks. Judging by the signature, there is still a plausibility you can find one, but might be a bit of effort. GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Congrats on the really nice Trime, Jim! I am jealous of that one. That's a coin that remains on my bucket list. They are so tiny!

Wonderful post and nice photos, as always.

Good job!
    Thanks, Tony. Yeah, these things are so tiny. They are thin too. When I flipped it out of the hole onto the dirt pile, I saw the rim. The front and back still had dirt. I did have the trime cross the mind, but I also was thinking something like the small (useless) button rings on jeans or like a cuff button that was silver. Sometimes I have a few guesses spark sequentially.