Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any lady detectorists out there?

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post

Actually I'll go ahead and say it- he's frustrated that he didn't get any responses, he rarely does because the main reason he posts here at AD is to draw people to his website.
    You know I have not been here long enough to know better, so I'll risk saying this and hope not to offend anyone. I know nothing about Dick Stout however I was curious enough after all the banter to find his website and I have to tell you after a quick peek there was a lot of good stuff there! Again I hope my naivety doesn't bite me in the butt. I'm just saying.......
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    You know I have not been here long enough to know better, so I'll risk saying this and hope not to offend anyone. I know nothing about Dick Stout however I was curious enough after all the banter to find his website and I have to tell you after a quick peek there was a lot of good stuff there! Again I hope my naivety doesn't bite me in the butt. I'm just saying.......
    Tom, If a forum has to trap you here to keep you, then it isn't a forum I want to call home. We don't get mad if people visit other places, but we don't want to be the place other forums harvest members from. A lot of places on the web have great information, but the attitudes of some of those people make it worth just getting the information and not joining. I have been to other forums that the level of hostility is unreal. I just don't want to hang with those kind of people, that is why I came back here. Here is home base for me and hopefully other members feel the same way.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Tom, If a forum has to trap you here to keep you, then it isn't a forum I want to call home. We don't get mad if people visit other places, but we don't want to be the place other forums harvest members from. A lot of places on the web have great information, but the attitudes of some of those people make it worth just getting the information and not joining. I have been to other forums that the level of hostility is unreal. I just don't want to hang with those kind of people, that is why I came back here. Here is home base for me and hopefully other members feel the same way.
    I have never looked at or joined any other forums ever before, this is my maiden voyage. With that being said, I have no desire or reason to look further. You guys and gals have all been very "family-like", helpful, entertaining, knowledgeable, not only to me, but to each other. I'm here to stay! (when I'm not out hunting).

I haven't been on here long but coinnut id have to agree with you 100%. This is the only forum i joined though I've read others but hostility is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Tom I certainly respect and commend you for bringing up your comment as Coinnut said we don't hold tethers on anyone , they are free to visit here or any other forum , "so no offense taken" . Most if not all the staff here have been either long time members or staff members on other forums in the past. We've seen or experienced things/ issues on them to know what we don't want on this forum so we try to be a different while still being friendly , open to have respectful honest discussion ,helpful and fun.

Mr. Stout was a renown and knowledgeable hobbyist in the metal detecting world years ago and sometimes raises important issues from time to time. However now he seems to spend a lot more time and effort on stirring the pot on forums to raise awareness about his website/blog which I was informed is "about him" and in my opinion not so much about the hobby anymore. Don't get me wrong I think he could be a valuable source of information and mentor to many new people getting into the hobby because of his knowledge and experience but I'm sad to say I don't think his focus or desire is to share that part of himself anymore.I certainly wish Mr. Stout the best in any future endeavor .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

When I got back into metal detecting in 2011 after a long hiatus from the hobby, I checked out all of the metal detecting forums that I could find. Since I was new to all of the forums I was able to view them all with an unbiased mindset, since I knew nothing about their history. It was immediately apparent that American Detectorist was the forum for me because of the highly knowledgeable members, general friendliness, and lack of drama and hostility. Not to sound snobbish or elitist, but the intelligence level at American Detectorist seems to be higher than at the other forums. Even though I registered with all of the forums when I got back into detecting, it didn't take me long to realize that I would be spending my time here.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hey, I'm really liking this thread. Thanks Mr Stout!

I don't know what happened, but I suspect the issue was that replies weren't posted fast enough for the original poster's preference. (I have now changed the editing option so that members can only edit their posts for a few minutes after they are originally posted).

Tom, thanks for your comments. I agree with you that Mr Stout has a lot of great information to share. We just wish he would share his knowledge and expertise here as well. I agree with the other comments posted too.

As was mentioned previously, most of the staff here have experience working on other forums. I was an administrator for many years on another (larger) metal detecting forum. With all due respect to that site, there was much that went on that I disagreed with. It is great to be able to use that experience to do things differently here, now that I am able to make those changes, and to be able to have a site that is (I believe) very professional and that has very knowledgeable and experienced members as well as those new to the hobby.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Regarding the last few posts, I am now sure that I have chosen the correct forum for me, albeit happenstance. Thank you ALL, for being the ones with whom I would surround myself with in person!
    Last edited by KCFindIt; 02-17-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: left out a word

Curious...were there not a couple of responses removed after my initial post here?
    You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout View Post
    Curious...were there not a couple of responses removed after my initial post here?
    not that i'm aware of Mr.Stout.

Hmm, okay Del. Thanks...
    You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout View Post
    No posts were removed from this thread at all, according to the server logs. And I have yet to find anyone who read your initial post so I have no idea what the intent was.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Howdy folks, thanks for the reply's. While I'm still not sure I quite understand the tone of the discussion I am convinced that I don't really need to. I guess there is some history that goes way back that eludes me and quite frankly I don't have the time or need to research it. I'm not here to judge or be judged I'm simply someone who has begun searching for information on my hobby! There is good information here on this forum otherwise I would not have joined. I'll not waste any further time on this unproductive thread, but I do look forward to other threads/subject matter that can help improve my understanding of my equipment and how to best use it! After all that is really why I'm here. All the best to everyone.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

He did the same thing on another site I am on! It was something about a Calendar of female detectorists. He is just looking for "hits" to his site!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    He did the same thing on another site I am on! It was something about a Calendar of female detectorists. He is just looking for "hits" to his site!!
    hey Thanks for the heads up Ron

hey by the way when you going to leave that "low paying" job on that other forum and join us here

we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey Thanks for the heads up Ron

hey by the way when you going to leave that "low paying" job on that other forum and join us here

we have cookies
    Mmmmmm...Me Love Cookies!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    There is lots of information on his Blog site and on Stout Standards. Metal detecting links and other items for every type of detectorist. He isn't selling anything on his sites and HAS left a legacy of information by the 4 books he has written. Isn't that enough information ??? And of course he would like "hits" on his site....isn't that why the other guy post for his treasure corner??

The only thing new in metal detecting is the equipment. The basics of metal detecting are pretty much the same since it began. Learn the machine you have to its fullest potential and know the basics of detecting in most detecting books---including Mr Stout and Mr. Hughes. The female calander was just an idea that he thought might gather interest...after all many more women are metal detecting than have been in the past. He wasn't suggesting any skimpy outfits for the ladies, just an idea of women detectorists.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeman View Post
    There is lots of information on his Blog site and on Stout Standards. Metal detecting links and other items for every type of detectorist. He isn't selling anything on his sites and HAS left a legacy of information by the 4 books he has written. Isn't that enough information ??? And of course he would like "hits" on his site....isn't that why the other guy post for his treasure corner??

The only thing new in metal detecting is the equipment. The basics of metal detecting are pretty much the same since it began. Learn the machine you have to its fullest potential and know the basics of detecting in most detecting books---including Mr Stout and Mr. Hughes. The female calander was just an idea that he thought might gather interest...after all many more women are metal detecting than have been in the past. He wasn't suggesting any skimpy outfits for the ladies, just an idea of women detectorists.
    Then perhaps he should have left his post up so someone could have read it and evaluated that for themselves. Just sayin'.

As for books, I agree they are great sources of information but for me, participation on a forum should be about comradery, friendship, helpfulness, and support (both ways). As for hits on a web site, you're right in that perhaps that treasure corner posts need to be reevaluated. I pay for the server for this site out of my own pocket and I don't post elsewhere trying to get hits here.

I am a female detectorist and I don't take offense at the idea of a calendar for women detectorists - I just frankly don't get it. Unless it's going to be gender-biased, then gender should be a complete non-issue in my opinion.

Anyway, to each his own thoughts.

Lets be clear here it wasn't a calender for Women detectorist it was a calender of Women detectorists . when Mr. Stout makes the comment "I will gladly offer my services and critique all photos submitted. No charge either…" well it comes off as a little sexist in my opinion and then he comes on this forum for what ?? he edited his original post , why?? was he trying to enlist women for the calender after that comment on his blog ?? very distasteful and not what I would expect from someone with his "legacy" Robbie. I agree he has some relevant material on his website , and is an accomplished author and I don't personally hate the man in any way but he should be reminded ,this forum isn't about him and he must be respectful to others here like everyone else .

this thread has gone full circle, for sure.