Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rev war button, early shoe buckle,

Rev war button, early shoe buckle,

Been lazy once again on this forum. But, I'm back now. Got out this weekend with my buddy Jarrod to hit a few sites I knew where going to be quite old. First site looked more like a pit than a cellar hole, Barely any rocks in it but the iron around the lip confirmed to us that it was a homesite. Not many targets at all there but scored a cuff link right of the bat. Not far away from the cuff link I dug my first ever rev war button. This button is a British Royal Provincial Button worn by loyalist troops! Very very happy with that find. I decided to swing the dirtbike path that led away from the site and got a nice solid midtone and popped out my oldest shoe buckle to date. This had an anchor chape but it broke off right away and I was unable to find the top piece of it. Luckily I got a photo of it before it broke. We hit two more sites after that spot but I skunked out for the rest of the day. Jarrod managed anpewter button and a nice colonial thimble. Not a ton of finds but very happy with what I got. It's good to be back! Happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

all I can say is wow and well done! man thats awesome.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Nice finds, Jim. Shoe buckle is early to mid 1700s, right?
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Agreed, some really nice finds, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Awesome! Great button.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Awesome history there! I think I like the buckle the best!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice finds, Jim. Shoe buckle is early to mid 1700s, right?
    I think it's much older than that. This thing is extremely small and looks more like late 17th century than 18th century. I guess I should post a photo to better show the size.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great finds, the button is fantastic.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    I think it's much older than that. This thing is extremely small and looks more like late 17th century than 18th century. I guess I should post a photo to better show the size.
    It could be. Just the fact the RW button I figured I guess it more closer to that time frame. It does have a slight ornate look kinda like the 1600's buckle ol' Dave got and didn't know at first the age of it.

DUDE! Killer Button & Buckle! Where there's 1 there's a good chance for more, low & slow buddy.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on the RP button Jim I like the small buckle too !

Yes better pictures of the buckle would help Jim .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow! That is an awesome button! Congrats!
    XP Deus

More photos

Here's a couple of photos of the buckle. Large cent is for size comparison

Here's a couple of photos of the buckle. Large cent is for size comparison
    Hmm , it will be difficult to tell if it was a shoe buckle or a knee buckle Jim , can you tell what kind of iron piece opposite the anchor type chape is ?

Iron piece

It looks like the spike you can see in number 19 and many of the preceding buckles

It looks like the spike you can see in number 19 and many of the preceding buckles
    The anchor chape on yours seems to be shorter and stays just inside the frame parameter by judging from that first picture before it broke off .

Yes I couldn't find an exact match on that website. But the frame is in a similar style and the iron stud is similar, just the anchor shape isn't as long.

Read up on the knee buckles just up above figure no.713 on this link http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf its about 3/4 of the way down the page but is shows some earlier types of knee buckles . figure no. 713 is a bit more ornate but has the similar wide flat frame type and the cross pin going through the width of the frame and not the length and slight curve .

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Read up on the knee buckles just up above figure no.713 on this link http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf its about 3/4 of the way down the page but is shows some earlier types of knee buckles . figure no. 713 is a bit more ornate but has the similar wide flat frame type and the cross pin going through the width of the frame and not the length and slight curve .
    I agree that number 713 looks the most similar but it said above that most knee buckles have the double tongue, my buckle only has a single spike as a tongue not the usual two "prongs" that all of my other knee buckles have.

I agree that number 713 looks the most similar but it said above that most knee buckles have the double tongue, my buckle only has a single spike as a tongue not the usual two "prongs" that all of my other knee buckles have.
    then it has to be either a very early knee buckle or an early shoe buckle as both had the anchor chape , I wish I could pin down an exact time period these knee buckles of "hybrid" type shoe buckles began and ended . Regardless its a fine early piece to be cherished .