Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold High School Graduating Class of 1919 Ring

Gold High School Graduating Class of 1919 Ring

So yesterday I went to a site where I had previously hit before but only for about 20mins. That day only found a merc, a old horse tack buckle, and a old fork. Today I went back for a couple hours since I had somewhere to be in a little bit and boy am I glad I went! The house was built somewhere from 1770-1780 and the land was bought by William Penn's cousins! Pretty neat! I'm planning on going back to hit the field in front of the house that I got permission to with a buddy to search it since it's been being farmed for the past 200 years. Finds of yesterday consisted of a unfortunately corroded 1876 Indian (would've been beautiful but I'll take it!), a overall button, an orphanage pin, a bale seal and my best find of the day being a Gold ring from the High School Graduating class of 1919! Rang up a solid 53 on the ATPro. Still working on researching it so I will definitely follow up on it on this thread! It has the owners initials in it too so I can't wait to find out who wore it 96 years ago! I am assuming it's a women's ring since it barley fits on my fingers. It's also unmarked but I am assuming it's 10K. Now for the pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Treasures; 12-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Very nice find! Congrats

That ring is such a great find! That will be fun investigating, but a long shot. Please keep us posted.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Yeah, I'm with Skamaniac...how cool is that?! Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

So cool. Hope your research goes well and ends with the desired results. Keep us posted....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on those great finds! That ring is awesome! You may be able to research it at classmates.com or a number of other web sites once you figure out the school it's from. The Indian doesn't look too bad and I think it may be able to be restored pretty well but will be time consuming if you want to do it.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

very cool old class ring PT , keep hitting that house your sure to find some awesome stuff there .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Congrats on those great finds! That ring is awesome! You may be able to research it at classmates.com or a number of other web sites once you figure out the school it's from. The Indian doesn't look too bad and I think it may be able to be restored pretty well but will be time consuming if you want to do it.
    How so? I've tried soaking it in Hydrogen Peroxide but the corrosion won't come off.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    very cool old class ring PT , keep hitting that house your sure to find some awesome stuff there .
    Thanks Dan!

go to this web site and it will walk you through all coin issues:

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/c...ion_coin.shtml
    Equipment:

go to this web site and it will walk you through all coin issues:

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/c...ion_coin.shtml
    Thank you!

Excellent nab on the gold ring! Doing some research on it's original owner will be another "interesting hunt". Perhaps you can find a relative living nearby. Agree on the IH, some come out of the ground quite toasted (copper doesn't hold up too well after 150 yrs in the ground) but you'd be surprised that after some proper cleaning how much better many will look.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congratulations on that awesome class ring !!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    So cool. Hope your research goes well and ends with the desired results. Keep us posted....
    Thanks! Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    That ring is such a great find! That will be fun investigating, but a long shot. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks! Research has been tough on this one. I know of one more place to check and if that doesn't pan out it might've came from some other town or state?

Doing a bit of research for you on this ring, I now believe it was from Milton Hershey High School (Or Milton Hershey Homestead as it was also known then). It was opened in 1909 as a private school for orphans and needy children. Class records don't seem to exist online that far back, so can't get a name. The school is still in operation today but the name was shortened at one time to Milton Hershey School. There seems to be no photos of older class rings to compare the logo to, but the modern version has a striking resemblance to the one found.

From what I read of the school history, having a class ring from that era would be an extreme rarity as the children who attended were mostly very poor, but who knows-perhaps it was bought later once the graduate started working, or maybe the student was working before graduation and managed to afford it. Whatever the story is, I'm sure it's quite remarkable. If you decide to dig further, I would suggest contacting the alumni organization. They post on their site that they encourage information be brought to them, and maybe they can find records and/or verify that it is one of their rings. Keep us posted!

HomeMHS-PA.ORGSite Map • Telephone: (717) 520-2030 or Toll-Free: (888) MHS-ALUM • Fax: (717) 520-2040 • Email: mhsalum@mhs-pa.org
    Dearden Alumni Campus, 109 McCorkel Rd., Hershey, PA 17033
    Equipment:

Doing a bit of research for you on this ring, I now believe it was from Milton Hershey High School (Or Milton Hershey Homestead as it was also known then). It was opened in 1909 as a private school for orphans and needy children. Class records don't seem to exist online that far back, so can't get a name. The school is still in operation today but the name was shortened at one time to Milton Hershey School. There seems to be no photos of older class rings to compare the logo to, but the modern version has a striking resemblance to the one found.

From what I read of the school history, having a class ring from that era would be an extreme rarity as the children who attended were mostly very poor, but who knows-perhaps it was bought later once the graduate started working, or maybe the student was working before graduation and managed to afford it. Whatever the story is, I'm sure it's quite remarkable. If you decide to dig further, I would suggest contacting the alumni organization. They post on their site that they encourage information be brought to them, and maybe they can find records and/or verify that it is one of their rings. Keep us posted!

HomeMHS-PA.ORGSite Map • Telephone: (717) 520-2030 or Toll-Free: (888) MHS-ALUM • Fax: (717) 520-2040 • Email: mhsalum@mhs-pa.org
    Dearden Alumni Campus, 109 McCorkel Rd., Hershey, PA 17033
    Wow! I don't know what to say besides thank you so much! I was having a lot of trouble trying to find out where it came fro. I don't know if it means anything by I also found Lutheran Orpanage pin about 5 feet from the ring and since the ring might've came from a school for orphans that's seems a little interesting that they were both found at the same site. I wil for sure keep digging now that you opened up the hole! Thanks so much! I will keep you updated!

Glad I could help-Hope that it can be identified positively! It would be awesome to find the original owner and maybe even family.
    Equipment:

Glad I could help-Hope that it can be identified positively! It would be awesome to find the original owner and maybe even family.
    Okay so I did some digging and came up with only confusion unfortunately. The Milton Hershey school fits every slot for my ring to be from there except they didn't allow girls to attend the school until 1976....and assuming the ring is a girls because it's so small it's not matching up unless a boy had very small fingers but he would've been graduating and older so I think that theory might be out of the question. Looks like we're back to square one...? Now I know Wiki might not be a reputable source but that's the only place I could find information about when it became a school for both boys and girls.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What I would suggest is email a couple pics and an inquiry to the alumni association and see if they have any info.

What I am thinking is that it may also be a staff ring. Reading the obits from their alumni association page there are a lot of female "house parents". But as I said, make contact with them-likely your best bet.
    Equipment: