Thread: Crazy week! Old coins everywhere!

Crazy week! Old coins everywhere!

So my wife and 4 kids went to see some friends of ours in Cincinnati all week. With no responsibilities what was I going to do with my evenings this week? Go detecting...every night...Oh yeah!!!

Sunday afternoon was the first day. I hit the spot where I got the 3 barber dimes a few weeks ago and I found a silver Rosie and a 1937 Buff. I was satisfied until I got home and checked this forum and saw Daddydigger's post! The next day at work I saw his repost of those amazing finds at all of those doorknocks. That got me thinking...he inspired me to get into this hobby 8 plus years ago from his videos and now I need to do some more door knocking like he and DeepDiggerDuo did last weekend.

Monday evening I go to the 3 barber site and across the road is a corner lot with a big old house (all the homes in the area are 1800's). I see a couple of women parked in the driveway and I said to myself "Here is a great opportunity" and sure enough I got permission at it. It is a 3 story home built in 1850! I decided to dig it all with such an old place. There was a ton of iron in the ground which hid a bunch of targets I'm sure but I still found a 1930 Buff, a 1941 Merc, a 1912 D Barber dime, 3 Indians (1874, 1882, and 1900) and a sweet V nik spill with a 1883 and 1910. The 1882 Indian I gave to the home owner as she was leaving to go to dinner. She said I could stay and finish up the yard and I'm glad she did as I found the 1874 indian 15 minutes after she left.

Name:  first silvers.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  V spill BB.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  83.9 KB

Take a close look at that barber dime. see anything? There is an impression of another barber dime on it. See the "RIC" and the rim around the headband? Some how 2 barber dimes must have gotten smushed together.

Name:  closeup.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  72.6 KB

Tuesday evening I headed back to the same old town and saw a great corner lot home with a nice yard, the home sat up on a small hill. A perfect sledding hill for all the neighborhood kids for the last 125 years. I stopped and the lady was nice but wanted me to come back in an hour when her husband would be home to get the ok. So I went to a side walk strip where I had only found wheats at before and put on the big coil and told myself to dig all the deep one way signals...45 minutes later I had a button, 1891 indian and a very nice 1884 V nik!

Headed back to the sled hill house and the guy gave me permission but he wanted my help finding 2 property markers. It took about 30 seconds each for me to find them! He knew about where they were so it was easy. He was very happy and told me to detect his home (1876) and the one next door that he also owns (1917). He also told me that since it was getting late (almost 8pm) that I could come back any time to finish up. The next couple hours I found coins everywhere! But they were mostly old wheat pennies. I did find a 1906 indian.

Wednesday evening I got to the sled hill house about 6pm. Started gridding where I left off the night before. 20 minutes into the hunt I already had 10 wheats. Then came a sweet 12-47 at 5 inches. I knew it was a silver finally. My first silver buckle! I did not hit this one BTW.

Name:  Buck up.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  54.3 KB
    Name:  Buck back.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  67.0 KB

There were penny signals everywhere and I had to start skipping them in order to keep my sanity. Why couldn't these kids have silver dimes in their pockets?! Soon I got a 6-7 inch 12-25 signal and I decided to dig it up. I was thinking maybe a button? Honestly it was just nice to get a none penny signal. So I cut the plug and scoop out a bit of the sandy soil and my probe goes off in the hole still with a pretty solid nickel signal. another scoop and I find an 1890 V nik in my pile. Sweet! Then my probe gives me another nickel signal in the pile! ...a 1903 V nik! Sweeter! Then my probe give me a 12-43 signal in the pile and I quickly see a seated dime! Yes! 1889 S but I hit it across Lady Liberty scooping it out. Now I know that a 12-25 signal is a 2 V nik and seated dime spill!

Name:  spill.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  144.1 KB

5 minutes later I find an 1876 H Queen Victoria Canadian Large Cent that I gave to the owners which they really liked a lot!

Name:  LC F.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  LC B.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  80.9 KB

Over the next couple hours I found a total of 30 wheats, a rosie, 2 mercs, ANOTHER V nik from 1901, a bale seal, a few tokens, a toasted CW Store Token (95% sure that is what it is anyway) and a few other relics. Is that a scabbard tip? I am thinking not but I'm no expert.

Name:  trifecta dimes.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  CW.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  80.0 KB
    Name:  relics.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  tip.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  35.5 KB

Oh and then I found this thing which I knew could NOT be what it said that it was...

Name:  Confed F.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  109.3 KB
    Name:  Confed B.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  71.1 KB

Turns out it is indeed NOT a Confederate coin. I guess these were made in the mid 1900's in CW areas as souvenirs? It did give me and my friend who I texted too much instead of digging a scare for a moment. It is still kinda cool though.

Ended up with 43 wheats total at the Sled Hill House...just so many old coins there. The owners told me to come back anytime and they were so glad I knocked to get permission to detect! I told them I would probably come back in the Fall and bring my boys and more detectors so that they could all play and have fun too. I did not detect their back yard or the other house yet.

Name:  All silver.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  All niks.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  75.6 KB
    Name:  All indians.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  78.4 KB

This year I had not found ANY V niks and then in 3 days I find 6 of them! How cool is that! I feel kinda like MangoAve with his copper streak!

Well I have to drive down to Cincinnati to meet up with the family tonight. So as that one detectorist, whose name I can't remember, would say "Onto the next!"

Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 06-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Awesome hunting Jared! Love that seated and especially the indented Barber. The Barber could be a mint error which could make it worth thousands!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Man, that's a seasons worth of finds.
    Congrats on all your great finds. Awesome

"On to the next!" That would be Daddy Digger

THE MORE I LOOK AT THIS POST, THE MORE IT LOOKS LIKE A YEAR IN REVIEW POST.
    Last edited by Digger Don; 06-08-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Holy freaking cow Bucknut! THAT is an AMAZING post! I have never had a hunt as good as that. You found so many great things! I think that it is a scabbard tip by the way! The buttons & badges are really good too. Looks like a store card to me also. Put it in a tumbler with copper pennies for about 20 minutes and most of the crud will knock off (you're not going to make it any worse believe me). Love the seated dime and stamped barber. Definitely have it checked for a mint error. The silver Hickok buckle is nice. I think someone else posted one recently with a different monogram on it. Now the good part...since Don and I inspired you to go door knocking I'm thinking we should get a cut? LOL. I'll settle for that amazing 1874 IHC! Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 06-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Holy freaking cow Bucknut! THAT is an AMAZING post! I have never had a hunt as good as that. You found so many great things! I think that it is a scabbard tip by the way! The buttons & badges are really good too. Looks like a store card to me also. Put it in a tumbler with copper pennies for about 20 minutes and most of the crud will knock off (you're not going to make it any worse believe me). Love the seated dime and stamped barber. Definitely have it checked for a mint error. The silver Hickok buckle is nice. I think someone else posted one recently with a different monogram on it. Now the good part...since Don and I inspired you to go door knocking I'm thinking we should get a cut? LOL. I'll settle for that amazing 1874 IHC! Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.
    If you guys are ever interested in detecting in SE Michigan let me know and I will take you to a few towns and we can go doorknocking...and I will bring the 1874 Indian for you.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    If you guys are ever interested in detecting in SE Michigan let me know and I will take you to a few towns and we can go doorknocking...and I will bring the 1874 Indian for you.
    I'm in!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I'm in!!
    Me too. Maybe that first week in October when we were thinking of going to Ohio?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great! Hope it will work out this time!
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Elite Member
    GREAT HUNT, that is a years worth of V nickels for me. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Super post.....sooooo many coins. As someone said....a year in review. And you still have the backyard and the house next door to do.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Finding post cards or family photo's from the past probably would identify a few more of these hills used for sledding. Great spots probably abound right under our noses! I look forward to hopefully get out there this time. Schedule is wide open for me anyways. Like to meet some of the crew this time around.

Yow. Quite the haul. I love the look of those Canadian coppers.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Fantastic finds!! Inspired now to get out this weekend. Thanks for posting.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wow...great set of finds Jared! And you nabbed a semi-uncommon 1880s V-Nic and 1870s IH to boot. That property deserves several more return trips! Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Amazing job you did getting all of those coins! Would have had a heart attack seeing that Confederate penny pop out of the hole.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album