Thread: My Favorite part of metal detecting (Long story make popcorn before opening. lol)

My Favorite part of metal detecting (Long story make popcorn before opening. lol)

My favorite part of metal detecting is finding a ring that you are able to return to the owner. A few weeks ago I got to do my favorite thing twice in a 7 day period. I hunted a small area lake and found my first returnable ring in the past few years. I love to find rings that can be returned, so I got right to work trying to find the rightful owner. I was able to find her through her school. Her ring was a Class of 2004 and she lost it in 2005. The ring was found on Sunday and I was able to meet with her and give it back on Saturday.

I told her to just meet me at the lake and I would give it back that morning. I got there about thirty minutes early so I headed for the water and got a low tone target right off the bat. I kept trying to find what it was but every time I did I would get a high tone. This went on for about five to ten times with me wondering what was going on, then I realized I still had a silver ring on my right hand. I decided I had better go put it in my truck and on my way across the beach I got a low tone reading 40 on my ATpro, so I stopped and dug it. Up came a great little surprise, a 14 kt ring.

I was trilled that I was going home with gold for myself this trip. lol I put the rings in my truck and back to the water I went. Five minutes after getting back into the water I found my second Class ring in a 6 day period, I could not believe it. This one was a 2010, but with no school listed on it just a girls name. I hunted around for awhile longer and got this religious pendant, it is 10 kt.

Well I finally met up with the young lady on the first ring later that Saturday evening and gave her ring back. She told me what made getting that ring back so special to her was that she was raised by her Grandmother and that was the last thing she bought for her before she died.

After getting home that Saturday night I started trying to find the second ring owner. I tried looking up her name on Facebook, but it gave me some girl that looked to old, so I gave up on it. I had told a friend her name while telling him about all my cool finds for the day. He called me Sunday morning as I had just got to church and said he had found the girl on Facebook. I thought he was crazy, but after church was over I looked again and this time it found a girl the right age and from a town close to the lake. I was hesitant to ask her to be my friend on FB, but I didn't know any other way of finding out if she could be the owner of the ring. Moments after I did, she posted on my FB "Hey that's my ring" I was trilled to death. We exchanged phone numbers and during the call I told her I was a little hesitant about asking her because I didn't want her to think I was some 50 year old that was hitting on a 20 year old. lol She laughed and said she didn't know who I was asking her to be a friend but decided to check me out and that is when she saw the ring. I told her I would be glad to meet her and give her ring back that afternoon if she wanted too. This ring was lost within the last two to three months and she had no ideal where it had fell off.

My collection of class rings before the Saturday and Sunday exchanges. lol

Thanks everybody for the looks, that is if you was able to read this far. lol

Dave
    An Honest Man Is God's Noblest Work

(Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030) (Garrett ATpro, Pro Pointer, Ace 250) (Tesoro Tigershark) (XP Deus) are my tools for now.

Great , Great , Great ,Great

great looking jewelry , great acts of kindness , great smiles from people happy to get their items of great sentimental value back into their lives. I can't tell you how good it is to read posts like this Dave , it gives me a lot of hope .

Well done sir for being a person of
    Great

Character .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Del said it well ! You're awesome Dave !!

Thanks guys for your kind words.

Dave
    An Honest Man Is God's Noblest Work

(Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030) (Garrett ATpro, Pro Pointer, Ace 250) (Tesoro Tigershark) (XP Deus) are my tools for now.

Dan said it. You're a great person. Great work on returning those rings. Sounds like the owners are happy and so are you. Good karma is coming your way.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Cool thread. Nice job! Thanks for sharing.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Way to go Dave. That's awesome.
    Just one more Beep!

Nice story! It's great you got pics from the reunion with the rings too.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I bet them young ladies will be a bit more careful with them this time Great story and a super nice thing to do. You even got a quick Karma reward with the 14K ring you got Nice little ring
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

WTG on being an Ambassador for the hobby. Their smiles says it all. These types of posts make me smile. Thanks for being the type of person you are.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album