Thread: DD vs Concentric

DD vs Concentric

Happy New Year, everybody! I hope this year is an improvement.

My first detector was a concentric coil Bounty Hunter. Conceptually, I understand the differences (layman) between DD and concentric, but I don't think I ever heard anyone say that one advantage of concentrics is that they may be easier to swing. You can "swing away" ...not having to keep the DD detecting "slice" at a ninety degree angle to the swing direction. Am I over or under thinking this?
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 01-03-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew, The concentric coil's signal looks like an ice cream cone in the ground so at 6 or 7 inches deep you are only covering an inch or so with each pass. My finds went WAY up when I started only advancing the coil 1 inch on each swing. The double D (and who doesn't like double-D's? Yowsa) coil is nice in that the bottom of the ice cream cone is wider and the return signal doesn't have to fight it's way back up through the down-signal. I don't have a problem with the 90 degree orientation because it's the natural way I swing the coil anyway.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Some insight on the subject from Andy Sabisch's E-Trac book:

Name:  DOUBLE-D 2.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  97.0 KBName:  DOUBLE-D 1.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  120.6 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    . The double D (and who doesn't like double-D's? Yowsa)

Yeah, all the things you mentioned are the reason we have all moved to DD but I was thinking one possible advantage with concentrics is that your swing doesn't have to be perfect. You can make bigger passes without changing your body orientation. But it's just a small advantage over-all....and like you said, the deep part is very small.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Some insight on the subject from Andy Sabisch's E-Trac book:

Name:  DOUBLE-D 2.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  97.0 KBName:  DOUBLE-D 1.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  120.6 KB
    Interesting, he doesn't bring up my point at all.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

There are many coil configurations and all have their pro's and con's , my personal choice is the "Double D" or "butterfly" as this seems to get even better separation and see's less mineralization than standard concentric type and a bit better than some "DD's" . The next time you get a chance swing over a small deep target with a concentric and then swing over it with a "DD" or "butterfly" i would bet the target sounds better or clears up some on both of the latter because they generally sample less soil meaning less mineralization they have to decipher to tell you what it is.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

LOL!

Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great post!
    XP Deus