Thread: A copper spill, silver, and a lot from the past month

A copper spill, silver, and a lot from the past month

Finally I found some time to make it back on the forum. I haven't even perused threads offline, so I missed a lot. But I haven't been missing much in the ground. Here is a compilation of things and pic overload.
    Name:  Cellar in the woods..jpg
Views: 279
Size:  126.6 KB
    In April I did get out to a spot I tried to trek to in the snow. As we were leaving, it was funny to see a few people show up thinking of doing the same thing we were there for. Lol. I believe the modified dandy was made into a whizzer toy. It was hard to tell whether the shank broke off and they drilled the equidistant flowers to be symmetrical to reuse the button, but I think they just used those as an easier guide for the whizzer holes. I am still lost on the six star button, but I know there was some reference to buttons having six stars (and a snake) to signify alliance during the RW to the GW side. It was right behind the cellar. I also scored a musket ball there.
    At the final site I ended up with a small piece of junk jewelry (which I didn't see a pic of when I uploaded) and an antique bird whistle. This thing threw me for a bit because I knew there was a bird, but it looked like a pipe but had one inlet. Of course, a 1781 half real was found, but not by me. Same day and not far as Dan's 1781. How odd is that? Site #2 I had pulled the full gag assembly. No wonder you often only find the runner piece cuz the center section has broken loops. ugh.. I had a pre-1900 V nickel with a decent back and an IHP I didn't take a pic of. The lever item is for an old icebox.
    Name:  Dug star button.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  90.3 KBName:  Whizzer, button, and ball.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Six star button.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  155.2 KBName:  Gag loop and runner.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  57.7 KBName:  Dug antique bird whistle.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  98.6 KBName:  Whistle and ice box latch.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  76.5 KB
    A few weeks ago I went out. The first spot was supposed to be a picnic area, but it looked like the ground had been taken away, and then the town dumped some extra in different spots. It wasn't a good spot, but I did see the cut granite stones out back and a big 3 ft black racer. The second spot had a hiking path by it, but it was a pretty big site and spots were overlooked. I managed a few ginormous pieces of lead, some ornate brass pieces, a few lantern pieces, buckle, pocket watch piece, 1934 wheat and other scraps. The magic didn't happen until the third spot. It was pretty slow going for a while getting some small scraps. I went near, maybe even walked over, a big flat button that was picked up. Not far behind the cellar I dug a nice skeleton key lock escutcheon. There was a little more daylight left and I knew of a small pen across the old road so I started walking. Maybe 20 ft up from the cellar I crossed the road. And maybe 30 ft from the stone wall I heard an 82/3 VDI. It was pretty solid so I was thinking a smaller silver. But I dug a copper. I texted Jojo saying I pulled a copper. After I texted he started making his way over. And when I rescanned the hole I heard a 59 VDI. And out popped another copper. I took a pic cuz I thought I was done. Well, he came by and I was working on #3. After I took one out, he was rescanning the hole. I pulled a 6 copper spill!! It was crazy. It even renewed some hope for those living in the area that copper spills can still happen. A few were playing tricks with us. Size variations and designs 'seen' in the uncleaned surfaces made us think various things. I still managed to get a bunch of firsts. The spill held my first NJ copper. I also made it into the 1600s with a really worn King William, per Dan. I thought it was a worn 1785 CT cuz the right bust and the 'rat tails'. But he believes it is a 1699 being the most common year. Shows how they were hurting for coinage if one can be circulated for 90+ years before it was dropped. Besides those two, there was my first KG3, being 1775. I had multiple KG2, but no 3's for some reason. This spill had a second British penny, and un-dateable KG2. There was also a 1786 CT copper in the top left of the cleaned pic(s) and I think the other might be an '87. The fork and some sort of pan (not pictured) were the last items I dug. I made it to the pen after the spill. The fork had some weird red oxidation on the surface that chipped off. The 1835 R. Wallace Triple sectional were roughly 1917. The latch item is from a CW photo album.
    Name:  Cut granite stones.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  146.7 KBName:  2 of 6 coppers.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  91.0 KBName:  Lock escutcheon.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  147.6 KBName:  Uncleaned copper spill.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  65.4 KBName:  Cleaned 6 copper spill obverse.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  88.2 KBName:  Cleaned 6 copper spill reverse.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  74.4 KBName:  Partially clean fork.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  48.6 KBName:  Triple plate mark.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  32.7 KBName:  Inc photo alb latch.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  85.5 KBName:  Deformed tree.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  134.5 KB
    Since then I have managed a copper the next successive weekends. I pulled the dateless DB along with a few buttons. I was way in the back of the prop thinking I was to see another home site there with the lined walls from the brook. It was a nice surprise after the two previous shotgun shells having the same depth and close VDI.
    Name:  Pump in tree.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  116.5 KBName:  Draped bust dug.jpg
Size:  110.1 KBName:  beetle in the dirt.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  149.2 KBName:  Draped bust.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  78.7 KBName:  Cleaned DB and buttons fronts.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  124.2 KBName:  Cleaned DB and buttons.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  116.1 KBName:  Shroomin.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  130.4 KB
    Thursday After work I tried to obtain a permission but no one answered. The owner did answer on Saturday and was skeptical anything would be found so I had to leave my card. Instead of going to an 1820 permission where I had my 1909 and '10 dog licenses come from, I just went to a park and dug the lower and iffy tones. My fav is the heart item. I had a junker earing (or at least its not marked) and the plated ring.
    Name:  Heart pendant.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  145.4 KBName:  Park finds.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  84.5 KBName:  Park finds design close.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  76.6 KB

This past weekend I took a vacation day off work for Friday and did a solo hunt. It was a long, uphill hike in. I'm pretty sure I did close to 12 miles hiking for the day; in, out, and all around swinging. I tried looking for a site that had no name marked. All I got was the ox knob so I headed back to the main spot. I was hoping to find some unique relics there, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I guess I didn't hit that place hard enough last time I was there. The folding suspender buckle was in the same hole as a shotgun shell. The IH was a fairly low reading so It was prob on edge. It turned out to be an 1886, which is 60 years newer than the first coin I found. I wanted to check the field there to see if it was used much. There were a few targets there including a decent 1826 matron. I think there was a musical family there as this was the same place I pulled 7 harmonica reeds from last time. This time was one more and that tuner item.
    Name:  Dug 1826 Matron.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  107.8 KBName:  Matron, IHP, and buckle.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  120.5 KBName:  Knox finds.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  52.7 KBName:  Buckle and shotgun shell.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  115.5 KBName:  Tall Dam.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  80.5 KBName:  Flora.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  99.8 KB
    Saturday I went to a cellar I had hit before a few times with great success. First was to check across the old road as I had never checked there. It was a good call because I found an area with some activity. First target was one of the suspender buckles, with the three tines. This was after I found the bottle on the surface. Through the bottle dating site I was able to narrow it to a time of 1885 to 1905. Continental Brewing out of Boston was the third name the company held. This name was first used in 1883. With the molding line that has been filed or ground down near the neck, the uneven bottom, and the bubbles in the glass, it was most likely within that time frame. The second target ended up being an 1897 Barber dime in decent shape. I mistook it for 1894 when I dug it in the short vid I took. I found the thick pewter button I couldn't help the edges from crumbling, even after packing it in moist dirt. I moved on eventually to find the other suspender buckle with the two tines. And then to another cellar where I found a farthing. Sweet looking coin having great detail after 268 years. Seems the 1749 series had all come from good quality planchettes. Maybe a month and a half ago I pulled the 1749 Penny. I have been having a bit of luck despite the forum not hearing much from me.
    Name:  Garter Snake.jpg
Size:  147.6 KBName:  Weekend coin finds plus pewter button.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  47.5 KBName:  Barber and farthing.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  147.5 KBName:  Bottle side view.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  38.5 KBName:  Bottle bottom marking.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  49.9 KBName:  Farthing 1749 obverse Cleaned.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  75.9 KBName:  Farthing 1749 reverse cleaned.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  92.3 KBName:  Barber dime obverse.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  107.6 KBName:  Barber dime reverse.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  74.2 KBName:  Barber dime uncleaned reverse.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  52.6 KB
    Name:  Ladd Finds.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  54.8 KBName:  Buckle Frame side view.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  42.4 KB

I also hit a permission that I need to return to. I was able to hit it before the rain for a little while, but the kids followed me around. Turns out I knew the owner from high school. Small world. There was a suspender strap tensioner buckle and a spoon, but the best item was the fob. The guy liked my WW1 fob and was hoping for something like that. So far I can't totally ID it. I know it dates between 1866 and 1896. It is thin and looks like a fob. More like a luggage or hotel check tag, esp being thin and having a number stamp. Peck & Snyder was the first company to start baseball cards. Those cards can go upwards of $60k. They started out making baseball and hockey equipment. It was around 1875 when their business was booming and they branched out making other items. In 1888 they went out a tour with A. Spaulding, the retired baseball player. In 1896, Spaulding bought Peck & Snyder in 1896 and merged the company to become Spalding sports. But 124-128 Nassau is far from Prospect park. Idk if Flatbush was named Nassau in the late 1800's. And I also don't get what a company, regardless of branching out from sports, was doing making a specific check tag for something. I have to reply to W&E treasures as the pic image didn't make it to them for some reason. Interesting piece of history, tho.
    Name:  Prospect park fob.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  145.0 KB

These were from a weekend hunt. Long hike into the woods. Scored some nice buttons. It is the second designed tombac I have dug. This hunt makes me realize I need gaiters for wet days. I like the view from one of the cellars. Woulda been a nice secluded spot.
    Name:  Dug design tombac.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  95.5 KBName:  Button assortment.jpg
Size:  147.0 KBName:  View from cellar.jpg
Size:  146.1 KBName:  buttons plus backmarks.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  68.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MangoAve; 05-22-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Wow Jim, you've been busy! Looks like you had a lot of great finds here. That copper spill must be quite rare, never heard of one since I've been here. Also love that park tag. Hope you dig up the background on it, coil be very interesting.
    Doesn't seem anyone else has been getting out much. I've been getting rained on almost daily the last 2 months, except for a few really nice days I had to work. Hope your luck and hard work continue to pay off!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Busy, busy, busy. And well worth it for sure. Terrific bunch of stuff.
    Deus Autem Lutum

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / EQ 800

The real treasure is in the marketing

Really nice assortment of finds Jim and congrats on the nice copper spill! BTW, what's the item in the 5th pic down from the top?

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Awesome!! Renewing my faith that it's not too late for me to get colonial coppers too!!

Awesome finds! So many old coins and relics!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I started reading this on Monday, replying Tuesday...... Dang Jim...some serious amount of hunting time with some very nice finds....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Some nice hunts Jim! Great copper spill ! You don't see those complete gags hardly at all. Last time out for me ( a few weeks back) I also crossed paths with a racer. It was a big one too. Close to 5 feet. I heard it first. It was whipping its tail against the dried leaves sounding like a rattlesnake.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I read "War and Peace" in less time than this post lol! That copper spill is crazy and nice finds all the way thru. Let me know if you want some company since I can trek thru woods again with the bionic hip!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Wow Jim, you've been busy! Looks like you had a lot of great finds here. That copper spill must be quite rare, never heard of one since I've been here. Also love that park tag. Hope you dig up the background on it, coil be very interesting.
    Doesn't seem anyone else has been getting out much. I've been getting rained on almost daily the last 2 months, except for a few really nice days I had to work. Hope your luck and hard work continue to pay off!
    Thanks, Chris. Def been busy... and I got scolded by the gf for it. Prob the spills were a tad more common back in the days when some of these cellar holes have been hit, but now they are quite rare. Danny had one like 3+ years ago. I thought his was only 5, but he had exactly 6 like me. I wonder if it has something to do with carrying around the equivalent of a half real. Can't say they were any less easy to lose being bigger , but better for me (us) I guess. Idk, there has been a bit posted on the bookface groups, but those are also across the country with many more members. We did have a stint with some rain and it has been a deferred Spring rain this year up in NE. Good luck to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
    Busy, busy, busy. And well worth it for sure. Terrific bunch of stuff.
    Joe Dirte. Lol. Nothing beats having the effort pay off. We all get skunkings from time to time, but it makes the times when we finally get lucky, all the better. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Really nice assortment of finds Jim and congrats on the nice copper spill! BTW, what's the item in the 5th pic down from the top?

John
    Thanks, John. Def a multitude of finds. None off-the-wall (which is more like what I get... ) I did kinda name it up above, but here's a pic. Its a gag chain, and just the loop/link which I had found before and the piece most people find, is the gag runner.

Name:  FB_IMG_1494211790989.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  55.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Awesome!! Renewing my faith that it's not too late for me to get colonial coppers too!!
    Thanks, Noah. They are out there, but not always the easiest to find. I have upwards of 30 (28 1/2?) but I have buddies that have maybe 2-4, yet the same buddies would have something like 3x 1/2R when I can't even find one. Just gotta find the places that haven't been hit hard, or use the small coil at places that have. Maybe you'll come up with some.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Awesome finds! So many old coins and relics!
    Thanks, Buck. Many relics is true.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    I started reading this on Monday, replying Tuesday...... Dang Jim...some serious amount of hunting time with some very nice finds....
    Oh, C'mon Al. It wasn't that bad. The OP was long, but nothing compared to one post where I have gone into immense details. Sanks, Al. If I did this every day, I'd need a 5k Cal diet. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Some nice hunts Jim! Great copper spill ! You don't see those complete gags hardly at all. Last time out for me ( a few weeks back) I also crossed paths with a racer. It was a big one too. Close to 5 feet. I heard it first. It was whipping its tail against the dried leaves sounding like a rattlesnake.
    Thanks, Jeff. Well, as I had stated above.. the split in the loops is why they break often. This was right up near a tree, too. Overlooked spot. I don't see that many racers. Only two in my travels. But and ridonkulous amount of garters out. I wonder if they use that as a scare tactic. Some other species of things mimic poisonous or dangerous things for survival. This one heard me too. I was able to get closer to the garters than the racer. He was like 15ft away before he took off. I swear I am not that loud in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    I read "War and Peace" in less time than this post lol! That copper spill is crazy and nice finds all the way thru. Let me know if you want some company since I can trek thru woods again with the bionic hip!
    Mike, It's all pictures. Suck it up! Thanks, tho. I've been having the streak. There was a 1/2R I didn't get close to during these hunts. I scored the DB, but didn't go to the area with a half cent. So I didn't get everything..
    Yes, but don't worry, I don't think this spot with the 1826/1888 has much more to give so not sure I'll make that 2.5mi trek in. (It took me 1/2hr hike at 5 or so mph...up hill). There is one that I'd like to get to that is easier on the way in than it is on the way out. This was reverse. Lol. Don't worry. I have other spots. I can be responsible from my own death from hiking, but not others.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Elite Member
    I couldn't find that much old stuff in a lifetime. Nice pics and great finds. Congrats WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

You pulled a six copper spill A FEW WEEKS AGO??!! Just posting now?? My gosh, I'd have posted in the field . That is a truly wonderful find. Most I ever got was three. I think Dan got seven once. Great couple weeks, Jim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Awesome post! I love that New Jersey!
    XP Deus

That copper spill is the stuff dreams are made of!!!!!

And the fact that it contained a coin from the 1600s, holy cow! Congrats on all of your firsts that came from that one spill. Like Drew said, I would have been so excited that I would have posted that on the spot! After I recovered from my heart attack, that is!

Lots of wonderful finds and photos, Jim. My mind is blown!

'
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow a 6 copper spill. Don't see that happen very often!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    I couldn't find that much old stuff in a lifetime. Nice pics and great finds. Congrats WD
    Thanks, WD. No? I can challenge you so that you push yourself to find that much old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You pulled a six copper spill A FEW WEEKS AGO??!! Just posting now?? My gosh, I'd have posted in the field . That is a truly wonderful find. Most I ever got was three. I think Dan got seven once. Great couple weeks, Jim!
    Thanks, Drew. I didn't even get a full pic of them out of the hole. It was a pretty wide hole after I was done, but we were in the woods anyway. Hell, I couldn't even take a vid of it. Prob once or twice in a lifetime. If Dan got seven in a spill, it was before I met him. The last one he got was 6, like mine. You did opposite of what I thought. I thought it was 5. You thought it was 7. lol. I am taking an edumatated guess here and I think the reason for 6 LC in both spills has to do with it being close to a 1/2 Real, worth 6.25 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Awesome post! I love that New Jersey!
    Thanks, Donnie. Your NJ is a tad better, but we both scored our firsts, recently. So many varieties, but at least I got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That copper spill is the stuff dreams are made of!!!!!

And the fact that it contained a coin from the 1600s, holy cow! Congrats on all of your firsts that came from that one spill. Like Drew said, I would have been so excited that I would have posted that on the spot! After I recovered from my heart attack, that is!

Lots of wonderful finds and photos, Jim. My mind is blown!

'
    Thanks, Tony. Enjoying, and thankful for the luck lately. The fact it contained the 1600s coin was a bit of luck and a bit of "that's the way things were back then". Even tho we aren't hurting for coins, we still have a 90 year coin still floating around in circulation. But they were apparently hurting for coinage then. Mintages were much lower than today. (Duh..not like you didn't already know that). But a 30's wheat today wouldn't look that worn.

I didn't install the app on the phone. I already have the phone memory near capacity and sometimes it locks up downloading fresh emails, to where I have to delete temporary files and cached data to clear up space for emails. Prob can't add the app. Therefore being stuck using the web browser, it'd be a an hour uploading these pics while in the field swinging. That'd cut down on detecting time. Blasphemy!! Glad it blew your mind. It even blew Dan's to know spills still can exist. He hadn't cleaned them all out. (and to my following post, he sure hasn't taken all the coppers.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Wow a 6 copper spill. Don't see that happen very often!
    Thanks, Roger. It's not unique, but it is rare, and happy for it.