Thread: GW button, other colonial relics

GW button, other colonial relics

I figured I would post today considering we are supposed to get 10-15 inches of snow and I won't be detecting for at least 1.5 weeks more than likely. Got out a week ago after school to look for a cellar hole deep in the woods. I found the site and immediatly got to work as I only had a few hours. No targets near the cellar hole, somebody hammered that area good. 8 starting picking up a few buttons away from the cellar hole when I got a very deep midtone. I dug down at least 8 inches and saw a big button in the dirt scoop. I turn it over so i can see the front and I see a chicken hawk design staring at me!! My second GW button!!! Extremely extremely happy with that find and I am glad everyone else missed it. Nothing extremely notable after the GW other than an interesting looking brass star shaped object.
    On Sunday I got out with my buddy Jarrod to hit a few colonial cellar holes but none of them really produced much. The last site of the day was quite dissapointing as it was extremely isolated and away from any foot traffic and not easily identified using aerials. But it was both poor and probably hit before. Oh well
    Yesterday I got out for an even shorter afternoon hunt. I found a new site I'm gonna return to after the snow melts. Scored a fragment of a nice open works shoe buckle frame, a pewter button and as I was walking back to my car, I scored a half of shoe buckle frame in the barway of a stone wall. Still was happy to sneak out a hunt before the snow. Happy hunting all!
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Nice looking GW, . Good idea getting out while you could. I think the snow we are getting today will be on the ground for a while
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WOW!!! That's great Jim!! I'm still waiting for a large GW button. Congrats!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats on your second GW button , its a great looking example !you've been doing very well sir !

Great pictures by the way !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Awesome button!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on your second GW! It's beautiful!
    XP Deus

Man you got two GW buttons dude you are killing it congrats ! Im still looking for my first one.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Grats on the second GW, Jim. Hopefully I will get one soon. Good you got out before the snow to get those shoe buckle fragments.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Congrats on the 2nd GW button, nice looking one. Yes, I have to agree that the snow is here to stay for awhile.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Awesome GW button in amazing shape. Me want one!!!!!! Congrats.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm looking forward to getting out again next week at least locally in my area. The snow is already melting and should mostly be gone after Sunday. Probably be a bit longer for you guys away from the coast.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Don't know how I missed this post. Beautiful GW for sure! Some nice scores on the buttons and buckles parts. Hope the snow goes away for you send doesn't deep freeze right after like it did in my parts. I tried to get out today for a couple hours and found it took me a half hour to chip out 4 inches of frozen dirt to recover probably the nicest square nail I ever found!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

WTG on the GW!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

My prediction was right on schedule. I was able to get out for a short hunt this Monday. Not a whole lot (couple of buttons) but I've hammered the place and just wanted to get out and do some much needed detecting. Probably going to a new spot after school tomorrow. Hopefully it works out.

Hi, what kind of machine are you using and what number did your GW give ?

Wow! great finds, especially the GW button.. Congrats!