Thread: Seated quarter spill, coppers, and colonial relics

Seated quarter spill, coppers, and colonial relics

Tuesday morning I headed out for a quick hunt at a colonial cellar hole I had never been to before. I didn't have that long to detect because I had other things to do so I was hoping for a few nice finds in the limited time that I had. Site has obviously been hit before but probably not in several years. I dug some lead and a small gilt flower cuff button before getting a nice high tone right to the side of the cellar hole. Turned out to be an iron washer! I left that area and dug a pewter button and then went back by that same area and got an even better sounding signal less than a foot away from the iron washer. This signal was copper 2 & 1/4 FTY, an 1818 matron head with a hole in the Center. I'm guessing the iron target may have discouraged other detectorists from digging this signal. I'm glad I rechecked that area. That was basically my last signal there cause I had to go but I was happy with what I had found. Sunday morning I met up with Jarrod to hit a site I had found while researching during the previous week. I was a little worried the site might be hit pretty hard cause it was very accessible to people who knew it was there but I still had my hopes up. We get to the site, it's a nice old cellar hole, not on any maps, and with a nice area to swing. I turn on my machine and it starts going crazy! Turns out the batteries are almost dead. Luckily, Jarrod had some in his car so he ran back and got me some. Without him, the hunt may have been over before I even dug a target. The day started out slow, not much directly around the cellar hole but once I moved just a little bit away from it I started getting signals. Dug a few flat buttons, part to a shoe buckle frame and a brass ring thing that rang up like a copper. I decide to swing in an area with some pine trees and get a super high VDI signal ringing up 85-90 but very shallow. I figured it was going to be one of those bullets with the massive copper jackets as they ring up in that range. Boy was I wrong. I pull out a coin sized disk with the outline of an eagle on it, and I thought I may have had one of those "no cash value" tokens. I was wrong again. It was a seated quarter!!!! My first ever seated quarter and it was in really great shape as well. I Call Jarrod over and I'm sitting on the ground staring at it when I decide to rechecked the dirt lying to my side and there's ANOTHER seated quarter in just as good a shape! I was shocked cause I had never found a seated quarter before and now I had TWO in the same hole. I could have found nothing else the rest of the day and still been happy but it was still early and there was still a whole day of detecting ahead. Pretty soon after those seateds Jarrod gets a crotal bell and a pewter matron head large cent. I've never heard of counterfeit matrons heads before but that's a really cool find in my book. I ended up digging a copper as well ( # 3 & 1/4 FTY) an 1832 matron I'm pretty great shape. Besides that I dug a massive shoe buckle tongue, Jarrod got an iron shoe buckle and some other odds and ends. Overall great morning and great site, we both went home happy. My day however was not over. I met up with Sam a few hours later and I took him to some new sites in an area I had researched. First site turned out to be a very old cabin site, we found the barn and the chimney pile but we couldn't find a well so I don't know how they got their water. Not much iron here and not many targets although most of the targets were right around the chimney pile. Sam got a pewter spoon handle and a button and I got an eschuchion plate and an old buckle. These people were probably very poor and only lived here for a short period of time. We moved on to the 2nd site and after a lot of searching we found it but it turned out to just be a barn foundation and no cellar hole. There was a lot of surface trash in the area so we left pretty quickly. I took Sam to a site that was on all of the historical maps and was still occupied in the early 20th century. I expected it to have been pounded over the years but since it was occupied for so long I still expected there to be some targets. My prediction was correct, massive piles of iron and broken bottles but there were also plenty of signals. I dug my first Indian head of the year, a nice open top thimble, two flat buttons, a pewter spoon handle, lantern piece, and some other relics. Most of the stuff I dug was actually right next to the cellar hole so I have no idea how these targets were missed over the years. There was a lot of iron and I had the small coil on the at pro so that might have been the reason. Sam didn't find much here but I think his machine may have been acting up so that was the reason. Overall an awesome week!! Happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Best seated spill I have seen in a long time! Congrats on the other items you got too but those Seated Quarters are AWESOME!!!!!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

"holy double seated quarter Batman" what a great couple of hunt Jim

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

AMAZING FINDS!

Those seated quarters are incredible! I don't recall ever seeing a seated quarter spill on this forum before. If you're going to find your first seated quarter you might as well go ahead and find two together!

And they're in terrific shape!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

"Seated quarter spill" in the title got my attention!! Great saves!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Great haul on the silver, and seated on top of it! The 1832 LC and IH look to be in awesome condition too-wondering how the other LC got holed. Nice finds on the relics too!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Nice seated quarters Congrats! It was nice of them to get the iron out of the way for you!

WOW! A great hunt !!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Amazing Hunt! Those Seated's are beautiful!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Amazing Jim! The silver is in good shape too! Congrats on a special day!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Awesome haul! You're raking in the early silver this year!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad I am off to a good start this season especially with the possibility of a major snowstorm this coming Saturday.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great finds Jim, those Seated Quarters are fantastic. Hopefully the snowstorm doesn't put us out of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny