Thread: Extremely rare "Long Live the King" Button + other relics

Extremely rare "Long Live the King" Button + other relics

I found perhaps my best find ever yesterday, topping even the gold coin I found over 2 years ago. But I'll save that for last. Did a brief hunt during the week in my yard, where my family is putting in a patio. As a result a foot of fill dirt had been removed and of course I swung my detector in that spot. Managed to pull out a 1963 Rosie dime about 6 inches down! Would have been 1.5 feet down from the normal surface, impossible to reach normally with my detector. Saturday I went on a solo cellar hunt in CT. First stop was deep in the woods but was right on the edge of public and private land. The private side, sadly had been recently logged and the loggers threw a lot of brush into the cellar hole. Not much other than the iron around the hole to indicate there was anything there but I managed a tombac button and a shoe buckle fragment. Site was hit before too. I moved on. After a long hike in and about 20 minutes of actually looking for the cellar hole cause I didn't mark the exact place of where I thought it was on my phone, I finally found. Nice old hole built into the stone wall. First two signals were a shoe buckle chape and an eschuchion plate. My third find was... a very angry turkey hunter. Apparently I had wandered onto private property. No posted signs or any signs at all to indicate it either. Shame, it was probably a nice site too. Needless to say I left that site pretty quickly and was pretty disappointed as almost all the woods in that area is public. Oh well. Sunday I met up with Jarrod and we headed out to CT again. First site we couldn't get into the parking area as the gate was locked and we didn't want to hike for a mile just to get into the woods. Second site we knew there was a cellar there but never found it, most intense barberry I've ever seen. Totally overgrown, I think we were 5 feet away from the cellar hole and never could even see it. We got out out of those woods and headed to spot number 3. This site was on a hiking trail that seems to be used regularly used. After a 10 minute or so hike we found our colonial cellar hole right on the side of the hiking trail. Someone had been there obviously, there was an ox shoe placedon a downed tree. About 50 feet or so from the hole I get a nice consistent mid tone and about 6 inches down pull out a nice big dandy button. I tell Jarrod I got a dandy and then notice it has words on it. I read out "Long Live the... King" Jarrod was actually disappointed cause he was hoping it say "Long Live the President". I knew I had something special, I've never seen one dug (but I know they have been), but I didn't know the rarity of this button. I assumed it was maybe a loyalist button from the revolutionary war but it's much better than that. This is a 1789 "Long Live the King" British button possibly made to celebrate King George III's unexpected recovery from a very serious illness. It is usually only found in countries that were loyal to the crown at that date in time so it is highly unusual and rare for it to be found in Connecticut. It is also considered to be a variation of a George Washington Inaugural Button which means I have found two GW's in less than a month. I am extremely happy about amazed by this find and never expected to find something so rare especially at a cellar hole that had been hit really hard by others. Overall despite only actually detecting for 1 hour yesterday, it was quite an incredible day!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I never saw one Jim! That is special indeed! Nice work and congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have heard about those buttons, and similar worded pins, ribboms, etc in England, but not here. Congrats on a great find!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Jim that is a remarkable button , your cellar hole must of been a home site to a very loyal "Tory" a person who despite the revolution was still loyal to King George III . here is a bit of info and some great examples of that button http://www.georgewashingtoninaugural...nrose-thistle/

I suspect yours still has some gilt hiding under that dirty grim , its great early piece and probably pretty rare here in the colonies. Mega congrats Jim !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jim that is a remarkable button , your cellar hole must of been a home site to a very loyal "Tory" a person who despite the revolution was still loyal to King George III . here is a bit of info and some great examples of that button http://www.georgewashingtoninaugural...nrose-thistle/

I suspect yours still has some gilt hiding under that dirty grim , its great early piece and probably pretty rare here in the colonies. Mega congrats Jim !!
    Thank you Dan!! I will be going back to that site at some point in time and give it pretty thorough search. It's been hit pretty hard by others but there's still the possibility of another button hiding around there. Once again thank you
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a fantastic find, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice score on that button. R-5 Rating on rarity. Prob worth just about what a GW is worth.

That's really cool!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I've never seen one either but sure would love to have one in my keeper pouch. fantastic find.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on a great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Sweet, sweet find!
    Congrats!
    We don't even have a chance of finding anything like that here
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime